Why won't wifi stay off?

Derek Karnes

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Sent my phone back to Samsung 3 times. The first time they did a factory reset, the second time replaced. .. something. .. the third time the entire motherboard. Problem remains. Samsung says it has to be a sprint problem, so i took advantage of sprint's open period of sign up for equipment protection this month and will take it to the repair shop tomorrow.

Derek Karnes

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Repair guy hung his head in sadness when I told him the problem. He said all the flagship phones are having the problem - root the phone and flash a custom rom, he can't fix it.
I am appalled.

BR34KF4ST

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: WiFi won't stay off.

i think lollipop has a bug that after you switch off flight mode it auto turns on wifi and i also notice that wifi connects slower compared to kitkat.any fix?

Posted via the Android Central App

japark

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Repair guy hung his head in sadness when I told him the problem. He said all the flagship phones are having the problem - root the phone and flash a custom rom, he can't fix it.
I am appalled.

I think the problem is that the phone companies want you to use WiFi instead of the cellular network. Phones now come with "WiFi calling" which is another way to switch traffic from the cellular network to a WiFi network.

Have you noticed that your Internet provider doesn't try to prevent you from using the network, but your phone provider is constantly trying to find ways to limit your usage?

Derek Karnes

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I voided my (useless) warranty and installed MOAR. Fixed all the problems and gave me a hundred tweaks, too. You can find it on the XDA_Developers forum. Not for the faint of heart.

steve4271

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I had this issue as well.

HTC One M7 running Android 5.02 on T-Mobile.

I tried B Diddy's suggestion:"Go to Settings>Wi-fi, tap Menu>Advanced, and uncheck "Scanning always available."

but this was already unchecked. Based on some of the other responses, I realized that there could be apps I recently installed that had the power to do this.

Sure enough I checked the settings in Xfinity WiFi app and it does!

If you are a Comcast/Xfinity customer and have the Xfinity WiFi app, go to Settings (left menu) and uncheck "Automatically choose best connection".

Restart your phone.

Since I did this, the problem has gone away.

Thanks, droids!

Last edited:

Manuel Valdez

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Same problem. Just got it this morning and it has so far ruined my day... :( need as much help as you

Sorry can't offer you help. xD
Galaxy note 3 on Android 5.0

STINGRAY86

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site

This was my problem! Thanks. Avast says any update after 4.4.4 is buggy.

THE ANTI-THEFT HAS TO BE TURNED OFF. THE PERMISSIONS SHOW IT HAS THE OPTION TO TURN WIFI ON OR OFF. HOPEFULLY THIS WILL BE FIXED ON NEXT UPDATE.

STINGRAY86

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site

just forgot. Check first any anti-theft settings in your apps. That was the problem with avast.

just fixed mine also. After the 5.0 update it started. The avast app states there are issues with anything past 4.4
so i turned off the anti-theft for now. Thanks again!

Knuckelhed

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site

Much thanks for this insight. I was having the same issue. Being an avast user and disabling Anti-theft settings fixed the issue. Being unable to turn off wifi was killing my batter. Again, thank you.

CloneSolutions

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
The problem is neither from android phone nor mobile/wifi carrier.
One or more apps may have permission to turn wifi or data on/off.
The solutions is to go in Settings/App and verify each app to see which one(s) has permission to connect to wifi/data.
I did examine apps on my Android (4.4.2) phone. Boom Beach Game App was responsible for Wifi/data to keep switching on.

The Solution:

Force Stop the App causing the problem. In my case I Force Stop Boom Beach App.

Note: There is no need to uninstall the app. Just Force Stop.

Thanks

Carol

CEStanley

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site

I found a workaround for Samsung's lacking control of the WiFi on my S5. Turn off WiFi and restart. When it comes back up, WiFi is off and does not scan.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo