After tapping the "Update Now" under "About Device" section, nothing happens in Galaxy S5

sajjad7

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
After tapping the "Update Now" under "About Device" section, nothing happens in Galaxy S5

In Galaxy S5, after tapping the "Update Now" under "About Device" section, nothing happens!!. but a week ago I could update it with no problem. What should I do?
Just bought the device one month ago.
Please help.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: After tapping the "Update Now" under "About Device" section, nothing happens in Galaxy S5

'Nothing' nothing happens, or does it give you a 'Your device is up to date' message? If the latter, well, that's because there are just no OTA updates available.

sajjad7

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Re: After tapping the "Update Now" under "About Device" section, nothing happens in Galaxy S5

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. <3
Absolutely nothing!! The button is not gray. it is totally functional. But after tapping. it does nothing!!!
I have a unlocked version of the phone.
Under the "Update Now" says: The last checked is 31/1/2015

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I'm assuming you've tried rebooting your phone? That happened to me once with my tablet. I'm guessing the search for an update gets stuck. But a reboot fixed it.

You could also try connecting it to Kies on a PC and have Kies look for the update, see if that 'resets' the status.

sajjad7

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site

Yeah, rebooted the phone twice but still the same.
Thanks for the second suggestion. Actually, right now I cannot access a WIN OS to try it but I will and then updating the thread.
Thanks SO MUCH. <3

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

No problem, and let us know if that helped. You can also try booting up your phone in Safe Mode and see if it works there. I remember a case where the option was grayed out and updating through Kies actually helped.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I have to press mine about 3-4 times before I see anything.

sajjad7

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site

Just tried with Kies and it says :
Latest version is installed
Installed version : Ver. 3.2.15024_8

But still no sign in the phone. Also tried the safe mode.
Whats wrong with it?
Is it suppose to show me the same massage (or something like that)?
UPDATE:
Also tried disconnecting internet to check that maybe the phone show a "no internet connection". But still no sign of life in the "Update Now" !!!

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

It's an S5, so it's still under warranty. Bring it to your carrier and ask them to please look at it. (Make sure everything is backed up - they may replace it.)

sajjad7

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site

It's an S5, so it's still under warranty. Bring it to your carrier and ask them to please look at it.
Thanks for the suggestion. <3
Actually it's not the point.
What they can do? A Factory reset and at least do a flash.
I can do all of them. I'm tying to avoid them. they will take the weekend ! and I need the phone services.
Could you guys please help me for just a simple solution?

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site

There is a very good chance if you are unlocked, that you wont ever get carrier updates. . Who are you with, and what carrier is the phone designed to run on?
All the US carriers do special bloatware to keep you tied tp their system.

Also, boot into safe mode and factory reset is an option to try.

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

My S5 is unlocked, and I was able to do an OTA update, so being unlocked is not preventing the update.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Unfortunately all the 'simple' solutions we can think of have been exhausted. At this point you have three options I can think of:
1) Get another S5 with the same OS version as yours (maybe a friend's or one in a store). Does that one have the same 'issue'? If so, maybe that's just how it is and until there's actually an update you won't be able to see anything.
2) Do the factory reset yourself. If it's still not there, you might get it replaced.
3) Take it to a store and have them do the factory reset/ROM re-flash. If it's still not there, have them

sajjad7

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site

I'm very grateful for your response :)
I think, at the end, a factory reset (or a flash maybe) is all I have.

sanyka78

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

Same symptoms you described I was seing when software update was disabled in settings, all apps. Worth checking in disabled apps if it got disabled somehow.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Try long pressing. I don't know if it was that or because it was the third time i pressed it.

Posted via Android Central App

zeddekezzulzarendor

Nov 29, 2016
Visit site

In Galaxy S5, after tapping the "Update Now" under "About Device" section, nothing happens!!. but a week ago I could update it with no problem. What should I do?
Just bought the device one month ago.
Please help.

Tap many times faster and it will appear