Infamous Insufficient Storage

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Loving this new one...constantly getting insufficient storage notifications when trying to update apps - yet I have 0.5 GB of free space.

If I reboot the phone, I am able to install the update.

I'm waiting on Marshmallow before I do a Full Factory Reset. Who knows how long that will be with Verizon.

If the phone continues to suck after Marshmallow, I'm going to a Nexus 5X.

Posted from AC on Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900V

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-18-10-37-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-05-18-10-37-24.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 26

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Forgot a screenshot

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-18-10-37-04.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-05-18-10-37-04.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 25

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Something to keep in mind is this: the OS typically reserves a few hundred MB for itself.

I would consider deleting some apps. The MM update will need several hundred MB to 1 GB of free space.

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
My daughter and I both had the insufficient storage space problem on our Android 5.1 Sprint Galaxy S5s. In fact, we couldn't update to Android 6.0.1 "Marshmallow" because there wasn't enough space available for the download. The problem largely seems to be caused by certain apps using a lot of internal memory, data, and cache memory. (I seem to recall that Tumblr was a huge offender on my daughter's phone.) In order to make room for Marshmallow, we had to temporarily uninstall user apps and "uninstall" (actually roll back the version and delete the data) of some system apps that we didn't care about (like Google+). Eventually we were able to make enough room (1.7GB?) to update to Marshmallow.

The good news is that once we got Marshmallow installed, we were able to reinstall all of our apps and have plenty of extra space available. And our Marshmallows came with a "Smart Manager" app that does a good job of cleaning out unneeded junk files like cached ads, etc.

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I would consider moving the pictures to another storage if possible and in regards to the Miscellaneous files, I personally have deleted everything in that folder and never had any issues, of course it will fill back up, but it should give you sufficient enough space for a short while.

I know when I bought my S5, I thought 16GB was more than enough, I was wrong, but it has definitely still been a great device.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't solve the problem that has plagued us all with respect to "insufficient storage", but have you considered dumping the official Facebook app for something else? When I upgraded to MM, especially with Doze, I put the official FB app back on but after two weeks of almost daily updates and an app that ballooned to almost 500MB (half a gig for one app? really????) I uninstalled it and went back to Metal.

It could just very well be that FB is looking for an EXTRA half a gig to install instead of just the hundred or so meg for an actual UPDATE...

lgossin

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Also try clearing download manager, it tends to grow to venomous size. It is under application manager-all on my 5.0 Verizon S5. clear its cache just cleared out 300MB as I was typing this

SM-G900V
Build: RU2BPB1
Security: 2016-02-01 (thanks Verizon)

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Also try clearing download manager, it tends to grow to venomous size. It is under application manager-all on my 5.0 Verizon S5. clear its cache just cleared out 300MB as I was typing this

SM-G900V
Build: RU2BPB1
Security: 2016-02-01 (thanks Verizon)

Nothing for me there. Cache was like 3MB

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I have deleted FB in the past...found myself going back to it...

Come on Verizon, give me Marshmallow.

All my media is on SD, bulk of my usage is apps, which I am constantly removing or clearing caches on.

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
When MM is released for Verizon, I'll be backing up and doing a fresh install. Not upgrading, especially after lollipop upgrade... That was awful

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez