WiFi Connections Dropping

lcbingman

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S6 Active from AT&T and it has worked flawlessly until about a week ago. I've had the 5.1.1 firmware installed well before this issue started. I don't know if an app is conflicting with something or what.

My phone will say I'm connected to WiFi and it'll be fine for a little while. Then apps on my phone will tell me I don't have an internet connection. I turn off the WiFi and then back on and the network is gone (along with everyone else's in the neighborhood that I can usually see). This isn't just at home. It's also at work. When I restart the phone, the network will be back and I can connect again. But then it eventually goes back to not having an internet connection.

I have a 2.4GHz network at home and a 5GHz network. I should not that I am always able to see and connect to the 5GHz network. But even when connected to the 5GHz network, internet speeds are still really slow. I should note that, at home, my 5GHz network is always visible and I'm always able to connect to it.

My internet speed is 10M and both my router and laptop show this when doing a speed test. When doing a speed test on my phone, it's at about .5M or less. I have tried two different routers at home (a Netgear and a Linksys) and my phone is acting the same way with both of them. My work uses 2.4GHz for the WiFi and my phone acts the same way as if I were at home.

I do not have my SSIDs hidden and I'm using WPA2 authentication. I do not have any filtering of MAC addresses. I don't have any special routes configured. The only thing I do have is IP addresses assigned to each device via DHCP. Either way, I've had this setup for years with no issues and now out of nowhere my phone is having issues.

Anyone else having this problem? I'm sure it's something with the phone like an app. I just hope I'm not the only one and that someone might have an idea for me.

cajun456

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Have you installed or updated any apps prior to the WiFi problem? Also, have you checked your data usage? In the data usage you can see both mobile and WiFi usage. Do you have the smart network switch turned on?

lcbingman

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Have you installed or updated any apps prior to the WiFi problem? Also, have you checked your data usage? In the data usage you can see both mobile and WiFi usage. Do you have the smart network switch turned on?

I've updated quite a few apps. Nothing in the data usage is out of the ordinary. Smart Network Switch is off.

cajun456

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I would look at the recent apps. Check the most recent reviews in the Play Store to see if anyone else is having problems with recent updates. Also, restrict the background data on apps that don't need it.

Posted via the Android Central App

lcbingman

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I would look at the recent apps. Check the most recent reviews in the Play Store to see if anyone else is having problems with recent updates. Also, restrict the background data on apps that don't need it.

Posted via the Android Central App
That's what I was afraid of. I'm busy enough as it is and was hoping someone else already figured it out. Oh well, I'll have to start looking at the apps. I really don't want to wipe everything and go back to factory.

chilibit

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
If I turn on my wifi radio, it connects for two seconds, drops, reconnects for 2 seconds and repeats this incessantly. I had some success logging into the router, resetting MAC rules, and then rebooting. That lasts a day maybe and then the drill resumes. I have just turned the wifi radio off except for a one minute period in the morning for any updates. With wifi off my battery life jumps to four days. I have a boomingly strong wifi signal throughout the dwelling. I suspect the issue is on the the router side but every other system in my domain (10-20 devices) work perfectly. During the first month or so that I had the Active, this did not happen. I am still on 5.0.2.

lcbingman

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes, everything else at home is working flawlessly. There is a location at my work that has 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks. My phone acts the same as if it were at home. The 2.4GHz networks disappear, but the 5GHz network remains.

chilibit

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Your experience seems to indict the phone rather than the router since the problem migrates with you. There is an app called Wifi Analyzer which had an embedded setting called Auto Wi-Fi On. I toggled it on thinking this meant that if the app started and the radio was not on, then the app would start the radio as a convenience. However, with the toggle on, then the radio stays on. At least for the last half hour which exceeds 2 seconds. Why is this? No idea. I am inclined to chalk it up to coincidence to be honest.

lcbingman

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Well after doing some searching, I may have found the culprit. The Fitbit app has been giving many users issues with syncing their Fitbit device with the app. The app requires a Bluetooth connection to the bracelet and an internet connection to sync all of the progress with the Fitbit server. I removed the Fitbit and restarted my phone. So far, everything is working good. This sucks though since I use the Fitbit all all of the time. I'll keep monitoring things and keep everyone updated.

chilibit

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Hmm. I installed the Android Fitbit app about the time this began. Fitbit caused no problems under Windows 10 which is sufficiently convenient for me. I will uninstall and see what results.

EDIT: No joy in Mudville. Uninstalling did not improve things here.

Last edited:

P-Rodz

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S6 Active from AT&T and it has worked flawlessly until about a week ago. I've had the 5.1.1 firmware installed well before this issue started. I don't know if an app is conflicting with something or what.

My phone will say I'm connected to WiFi and it'll be fine for a little while. Then apps on my phone will tell me I don't have an internet connection. I turn off the WiFi and then back on and the network is gone (along with everyone else's in the neighborhood that I can usually see). This isn't just at home. It's also at work. When I restart the phone, the network will be back and I can connect again. But then it eventually goes back to not having an internet connection.

I have a 2.4GHz network at home and a 5GHz network. I should not that I am always able to see and connect to the 5GHz network. But even when connected to the 5GHz network, internet speeds are still really slow. I should note that, at home, my 5GHz network is always visible and I'm always able to connect to it.

My internet speed is 10M and both my router and laptop show this when doing a speed test. When doing a speed test on my phone, it's at about .5M or less. I have tried two different routers at home (a Netgear and a Linksys) and my phone is acting the same way with both of them. My work uses 2.4GHz for the WiFi and my phone acts the same way as if I were at home.

I do not have my SSIDs hidden and I'm using WPA2 authentication. I do not have any filtering of MAC addresses. I don't have any special routes configured. The only thing I do have is IP addresses assigned to each device via DHCP. Either way, I've had this setup for years with no issues and now out of nowhere my phone is having issues.

Anyone else having this problem? I'm sure it's something with the phone like an app. I just hope I'm not the only one and that someone might have an idea for me.

Yes my s6 active has the same problem with Wi-Fi but also my alarm clock will go off and I get drop calls also when talking on the phone like call waiting goes off I have to send mine back in to Samsung and get a new one