Edge + Screen Brightness - Is there any resolution yet?

csantoro13

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I just got my S6 Edge Plus last week and have noticed the screen brightness issue that everyone has been talking about. I've tried the 3rd party apps and am not looking to root the phone. Has there been any type of resolution to this yet? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

csantoro13

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
When I look at my phone in a dark room the screen is dimmer than it should be. Turn on the light and the phone brightens up. If you google galaxy edge screen issue you'll see a ton of results regarding it, but no resolutions (other than rooting).

Tommy Bayshore

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Thank goodness, finally i have a phone without a major defect, im usually the one who gets the f'd up phones (although it is much dimmer on the lock screen than the home screen).

PenguinBelly

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
When I look at my phone in a dark room the screen is dimmer than it should be. Turn on the light and the phone brightens up. If you google galaxy edge screen issue you'll see a ton of results regarding it, but no resolutions (other than rooting).
That sounds like auto-brightness at work. That is a normal and desirable behavior.

Anything like this?
That is a clear defect and the phone should be returned and/or replaced, not rooted.

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
That sounds like auto-brightness at work. That is a normal and desirable behavior.

That is a clear defect and the phone should be returned and/or replaced, not rooted.

What this guy said. The auto-dimming in a dark room is not a defect. Simply pull down your notification shade and untick the "auto" next to the brightness slider to disable it.

The discoloration on the other thread though is definitely a screen defect and that baby needs to be returned.

csantoro13

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I have the night clock on and I use a fingerprint lock screen. I DO NOT have auto brightness turned on people. If you Google this you'll read that it's a software issue not a hardware defect. Auto brightness is turning on even when it is off.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have the night clock on and I use a fingerprint lock screen. I DO NOT have auto brightness turned on people. If you Google this you'll read that it's a software issue not a hardware defect. Auto brightness is turning on even when it is off.

I understand that you keep saying it's a software fault with all of the Edge +phones, but some of us do not have this fault or problem. I do have auto brightness turned on and it works great. I am not experiencing this, so I have no idea if or when it will be fixed, or if it was fixed, as I do not have this fault.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Also, have you gone back to your carrier and complained? It seems that a new device partially solved Blipstein's problem:

My new device doesn't have this issue so I am satisfied.

Actually that's not 100% accurate. I realized on the new device that if I had on the night clock it would have this problem. As soon as I would wake the phone, before I unlocked it, the screen would be "white washed". I could tell the blacks were not as dark as they should be for example. And if I unlocked the phone while this happened the display would behave exactly as the pictures I originally posted. Night clock is off and everything is 100% correct (don't care about night clock anyway)

csantoro13

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I have spoken to my carrier (Verizon). They stated this is a very common problem on the Edge + Devices. I can return mine for a new one but would likely encounter the same problem. IDK what to do to be honest.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have spoken to my carrier (Verizon). They stated this is a very common problem on the Edge + Devices. I can return mine for a new one but would likely encounter the same problem. IDK what to do to be honest.

As I stated before, no problem with mine. Verizon S6 Edge + Gold 32GB version.

Bonovox72

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I also have this issue and it seems that auto brightness is working without auto brightness being on although not as dim as auto brightness. I shone a torch at the sensor and the screen became brighter but as I said auto brightness is off.

Posted via the Android Central App

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I also have this issue and it seems that auto brightness is working without auto brightness being on although not as dim as auto brightness. I shone a torch at the sensor and the screen became brighter but as I said auto brightness is off.

This is normal behavior. The phone IS capable of becoming brighter than the brightest possible setting will allow but this is reserved for an emergency maneuver when out in full sunlight (or similar very bright situations). It's very taxing on the battery and the phone will not go into this "turbo" brightness mode unless the situation calls for it. Its only purpose is to boost visibility in the sun, the software does not allow you to set the screen this high a level of brightness manually.

This is regardless of having the auto-brightness setting on or off. No, it does not mean you have a defective unit, it is the opposite.

Display outdoor visibility comparison: Samsung Galaxy S6 vs Apple iPhone 6 vs HTC One M9 vs Note 4

csantoro13

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
find it odd that we would not be given control over how bright we want our own phone. Samsung had even acknowledged that it's a big/glitch.

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
find it odd that we would not be given control over how bright we want our own phone. Samsung had even acknowledged that it's a big/glitch.

You can control the brightness of the phone ranging from 2 nits to around 450 nits. In extreme situations where outdoor visibility becomes an issue, the display overpowers itself to over 750 nits. This has been tested and proven multiple times from different sources and it's a feature of the phone. It's not a defect and it's set this way because that kind of brightness is not recommended for extended periods of time (both for the battery's sake and the display's).

Can you show me where Samsung acknowledged this behavior as a defect?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ijulnesia