Why do the pins on my USB charger keep breaking?

A

AC Question

I have a Galaxy s6 edge+, and in this past week I have gone through 5 USB chargers. The 4th pin in each of the chargers repeatedly breaks, so when I attempt to charge my phone it opens the app "Samsung Gear VR setup wizard", and will not charge. I have a wireless charger to get me by for now, but I can't really take that to work, so I need the wired charger working. I can't see any physical damage to the port itself, and the pins don't appear to stay in there. I'm not rough with the phone by any means, but 5 defective chargers in a row seem unlikely. Has anyone else had this problem? and how was it resolved?

Charliezard

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
The micro-USB end, where it connects to the phone. First was the "Fast Charging cable" that came stock with the phone, then I swapped that and the micro-USB that came with my wireless charger. Next were two Insignia brand chargers (all Best Buy had in stock), and finally a Belkin. At first I suspected factory defect, then cheap products, but the same damage to all of them across brands has me worried

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I suspect a rough edge on pin 4 (or the plastic) on the connector in the phone, that keeps breaking the cable connector pins. It's probably too small to see, even with a good magnifier and strong light, but if you bring it to Best Buy (Cellphone Warehouse, IIRC, in the UK) and talk to the Samsung tech, they may swap it out or replace the port for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non