How is your standby? Lost 30% last night....

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I posted this over the Edge Forums, but will post it here just for your information.

As you can see in the following thread I created last year, when most users where getting 5 hours SoT at most, I was managing to get 6.5 and some days up to 7 hours, using a Samsung Gear 2 Neo basically all day. It was reducing little by little and by the time I got my Moto 360 and sold my Gear 2 Neo I was getting about 6 hours at most, but even then it was great compared to the others.

I don't have an S6 or S6 Edge yet as I'm waiting for the T-mobile to have them, but you can take a look at the things I did with the S5 and see if you can try to do similar stuff on the S6 and see if it helps in General with the Battery Life.

Also, over the Edge forums thread that I posted this, somebody posted something I totally forgot about it and is the Lockout Security Apps, in simple words, you don't need it, that and the other "Optimization" app Samsung included, those apps what they most of the time do is to drain your battery, so try disabling both of them in addition to the ones I posted in the following link that may still showing on the galaxy S6 and S6 Edge.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/385465-adjustments-tricks-get-amazing-battery-life-i-m-getting.html

ray sital

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
In other words disable disable disable. These new devices are pretty amazing,but there are so some sacrifices that comes along with them

There's a supercharger for a reason I guess.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It also depends on your carrier and their coverage. I assume you have t mobile.....

Just because you have said carrier doesn't mean that is instantly the cause ... You act like Verizon can't have a low signal in areas that kill power ^_^.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I posted this over the Edge Forums, but will post it here just for your information.

As you can see in the following thread I created last year, when most users where getting 5 hours SoT at most, I was managing to get 6.5 and some days up to 7 hours, using a Samsung Gear 2 Neo basically all day. It was reducing little by little and by the time I got my Moto 360 and sold my Gear 2 Neo I was getting about 6 hours at most, but even then it was great compared to the others.

I don't have an S6 or S6 Edge yet as I'm waiting for the T-mobile to have them, but you can take a look at the things I did with the S5 and see if you can try to do similar stuff on the S6 and see if it helps in General with the Battery Life.

Also, over the Edge forums thread that I posted this, somebody posted something I totally forgot about it and is the Lockout Security Apps, in simple words, you don't need it, that and the other "Optimization" app Samsung included, those apps what they most of the time do is to drain your battery, so try disabling both of them in addition to the ones I posted in the following link that may still showing on the galaxy S6 and S6 Edge.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/385465-adjustments-tricks-get-amazing-battery-life-i-m-getting.html

I was informed by Andrew that Clean Master can't be disabled. Is that not true?

Posted via Android Central App

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
In other words disable disable disable. These new devices are pretty amazing,but there are so some sacrifices that comes along with them

You can have your way with your phone, but you should not reject others' ideas. It comes as somehow your usage habit is best for everyone. If you don't want your phone to last longer at the expense of being connected every freaking minute of the day, don't use it. Nobody is forcing you.

I hope you know that repeated charges at rapid frequency is not gonna be good for batetry longevity, it wasn't a problem before, but with sealed battery, it is an issue now.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

As you can see, what I'm saying is simple, I'll never ever use any of the features or apps I'm disabling so why let them installed, running and draining my battery?

Why do I need to let the brightness at 80 or even 50% if with 20% and Auto Brightness when I'm outdoors, I'm perfectly set?

That's all I'm saying...

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site

Does anyone yet know for a fact, Lookout Security App, CleanMaster App, etc., can be removed or disabled ? Both totally unneeded in my opinion, FWIW.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
The everyday buyer isn't going to know how, or even know there's a way to disable all this stuff to make their battery last. The only thing they'll understand is their phone is giving them poor battery life.

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
The everyday buyer isn't going to know how, or even know there's a way to disable all this stuff to make their battery last. The only thing they'll understand is their phone is giving them poor battery life.

That's why people love the IPhone... Take it out of the box and go

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
The only way to know for sure is by seeing the Battery stats, all of them. Also, try installing Gsam Battery monitor, it will provide an even more detailed battery usage information.

Please post screenshot with this information for us to see what may be wrong and learn and try to help you.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Agreed, but you can do the same with an S6. Android and Samsung just give you the tools to improve it, understand it, and make changes whereas Apple does very little in that regard.

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site

Agreed. One of the reasons I stuck with iPhone for so long. Didnt need any battery management tips or disable a bunch of stuff. Just works well out the box. I will admit that's one thing Apple has perfected.

ron561

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
As someone with a S6, it will work just fine for majority of users out of the box. For people looking to get more out of their battery, you will need to do some additional tweaking. I'm one of those users and with my iPhone 5s, I still found myself looking for tips on how to get the best out of my battery because it was that bad. Outside basic tips like reducing brightness, app refresh, etc there wasn't much I could do. That's what I appreciate about Android.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
android is still an opener system, but Google is making money off connectivity, so it can't keep itself from trying to get you connected.

Maybe its geekier, as you have to tweak it a bit. Not a problem for many of us, but not as convenient as apple for some for sure.

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I normally plug my phone in at night, but I wanted to see how standby was last night so I left it unplugged. Went to bed at about 93%, woke up to 60%. Battery usage said Cell Standby was the largest eater of my battery.

Nothing was going on in the background except normal sync. I already installed the day 1 OTA and updated/installed my regular apps.

-Dave, T-Mobile

If you search for cell standby battery issues with lollipop, you can find a fare amount of people complaining about this on the Nexus 5 and Nexus 6. As a Nexus 5 user until yesterday, I can confirm that cell standby crushed my Nexus 5 battery life. I believe this could be a lollipop issue still as it has proved to be quite buggy, especially when it comes to battery life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress