Early S6 users, how's your battery life?

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Does your gsam report sot match system report?
Yea it's pretty close. Obviously GSAM is more detailed with regards to what is draining the battery but the SOT pretty much is consistent between the two

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Yea it's pretty close. Obviously GSAM is more detailed with regards to what is draining the battery but the SOT pretty much is consistent between the two

Thanks, the reason I asked is I have some weird weird with gsam on my note 3, it gives me 20% higher sot for some reason. I need to figure out which report is more accurate.

TheIowaKid

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Pretty consistent with what I've been experiencing. Had mine since Monday. 4 hours SOT on first full charge. Has only improved since. Averaging 4 hr 51 min SOT now according to GSAM. I pulled 5 hours 20 min SOT today but forgot to screenshot before plugging up to pc to move some music over. That's up there near Note 4 territory with a smaller battery. I understand the TMO variant may have some software related issues that should be fixed but I'm not seeing how others are having an issue with the battery unless they are expecting it to be better than a Note 4 or 6 plus which is unrealistic.

//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/11/9d429a3c9dd4259d6d52a774c5efdd92.jpg//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/11/36a224f121413ce613ec7e7428c514cb.jpg

Is there anything you did once you got the phone to help get this sort of battery life? Mine comes off the charger and immediately says approximately 10hrs left. Yours had that beat and you are hours into it already.

Posted via the Android Central App

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Is there anything you did once you got the phone to help get this sort of battery life? Mine comes off the charger and immediately says approximately 10hrs left. Yours had that beat and you are hours into it already.

Posted via the Android Central App

I got mine yesterday at 9:00AM, first client on my T-Mobile Store, first thing I did was just to wait for T-Mobile Update to complete and then without doing anything else, I went to recovery mode and cleared cache and Clear data (factory reset).

Then I began setting it and first thing I did was to turned off VoLTE, Wifi calling, Smart network and Scanning Always Available (last 2 in Wifi Settings), none of these are needed for me. Then I proceeded to disabled all Bloatware from t-Mobile and some Google Apps that I don't use like Google Play Games and Books and Google Plus. Turned Off Hot Word Detection Always Listening in Google Search.

After that began restoring my apps and data using Google and Hellium while it was charging to 100%, so I knew that right from the first charge my phone was already set as I wanted without Unnecessary apps and features draining battery, with that first full charge and still settings some Apps, playing with it all the time, settings all my contacts ringtones and linking them between accounts and the normal first time usage stuff, I managed to get 5 hours and 10 mins of SoT in my T-Mobile S6 edge.

I've been using the phone today since I woke up, normal stuff for me, and again it has 59 minutes of SoT with 84% of battery remaining. So, it is still averaging over 5 hours of SoT, great battery life for this battery size in a QHD screen. One important thing here is to use Dark or Black Wallpapers and/or Themes, and in my case I NEVER, EVER use any of my phones with Brightness over 25%, actually I always use between 15-20% in AMOLED displays, the 25% was my LG G3, and with the option to use Auto brightness while Outside, my eyes are used to that for years now, and if I turn that up immediately begins bothering my sight, so for those of you that always have a Mind set on Highest Brightness, ALL the time, give it a try, begin very low in a low light room, or just under a roof and get your eyes used to that and you will see that in a day or so you won't need to be cranking up that brightness, plus you'll save a lot of battery life doing so.

Like I've said many times before, if I managed to get constantly 4-4.5 hrs of SoT on a Moto X 2-14 with 2300 mAh and last year technology, I'm sure that I can get over 5 hours on the S6 easily and constantly, so far I was right.

I'll try to create a new thread soon, just like I did last year with the S5, showing screens with Settings and Bloatware Disabled, so if anyone of you want to follow my suggestions you'll welcome to do it. But so far with the above summary you can have an idea if you are looking for some help on this.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Would like to see your thread on battery tips for GSM model that will get great result like yours.

Interestingly CDMA model (Verizon) seems to do very well even without tinkering much with settings, possibly due to using qualcomm modem.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Forgive me but I'm having a hard time guaging these battery stats. So you have used half the battery in 5 1/2 hours? Were you really on screen for 4 hrs? What are you guys doing that you are on screen for 4 hrs? My average screen on time is like an hour a day. How do you have time to spend 4 hrs a day on the phone? Maybe I'm just a light user.

If I'm traveling I use it a lot since it's my business portal. If I'm not using it for business it pretty much doesn't get used, I actually can't stand the thing and don't want to be around it, it's just a stress device IMO.

mclark1242

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I have verizon 32gb and my battery is awesome.with heavy use yesterday and full charge I got almost 6 hiutrs. I didn't put this down yesterday, I think it's great.

mountainman15

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I posted this in the Verizon specific thread, but thought I'd post it here as well since this seems to be the primary battery life discussion.

My standby appears to be high at 31%, but the battery only dropped about 5-6% over night and I'm going on 20 hours since my last charge. I've only had the screen on for 2 hours, but I went for a 1.5 hour mountain bike ride last night and was using Spotify and Strava (which relies heavily on location services) so I'm fairly pleased with the battery life so far. I don't need 4-5 hours of SOT like some others, but knowing that I can easily get through a day with solid use is good enough for me.

Screenshot_2015-04-11-10-29-43.jpg
Screenshot_2015-04-11-10-29-50.jpg

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Would like to see your thread on battery tips for GSM model that will get great result like yours.

Interestingly CDMA model (Verizon) seems to do very well even without tinkering much with settings, possibly due to using qualcomm modem.

Yes of course I'll do it, but obviously I'm still setting some things up, changing themes, looking for the best one for me and just like any other regular user, can't put it down enough and that's not normal usage for anybody, just like First days usage, so once I get to normal use for me, I'll begin capturing battery life Screenshots and as much as information as I can come with and then will try my best to make a Summarized thread with all that.

krm0789

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm not impressed by my Verizon battery life in the least. Got it to under 10% playing with it last night, charged to 100%, unplugged it & went back to sleep - it went from 100% to 95% in 3 hours of no use, then later went from 74% to 67% in 20-25 mins of no use. My screen on time is just 1 hour 5 minutes. It has been at 3G which is unusual in my apartment - I thought the aluminum part of my case was the problem, but it's since been at 4G consistently (switched from Global to LTE/CDMA this morning. Smart network switch & always allow scanning are off. I'm disappointed.Screenshot_2015-04-11-14-07-15.jpg

GWaLL13

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm not impressed by my Verizon battery life in the least. Got it to under 10% playing with it last night, charged to 100%, unplugged it & went back to sleep - it went from 100% to 95% in 3 hours of no use, then later went from 74% to 67% in 20-25 mins of no use. My screen on time is just 1 hour 5 minutes. It has been at 3G which is unusual in my apartment - I thought the aluminum part of my case was the problem, but it's since been at 4G consistently (switched from Global to LTE/CDMA this morning. Smart network switch & always allow scanning are off. I'm disappointed.View attachment 170872

That's interesting. I definitely think the majority of drain is due to your phone constantly searching for a better signal. Does Verizon offer signal boosters? I know I had a similar issue with getting signal in certain parts of my apartment and T-Mobile gave me a signal booster. Also does Verizon have wifi calling yet? If so, you may want to try to use that and prioritize using wifi first. At night switching to airplane mode and enabling wifi keeps my battery drain to 1 or 2% while I sleep.

via the AC App on my S6 Edge

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Here's the stats from the first 24 hours of owning my T-Mobile version. I shut off the wifi searching stuff and disabled a lot of bloat. I'm using Google Now launcher. I'm not sure if this is good or not but it did drain 20ish% overnight. Is this good or bad?

30l02me.png

zl5g7l.png

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Here's the stats from the first 24 hours of owning my T-Mobile version. I shut off the wifi searching stuff and disabled a lot of bloat. I'm using Google Now launcher. I'm not sure if this is good or not but it did drain 20ish% overnight. Is this good or bad?

http://i59.tinypic.com/30l02me.png
http://i61.tinypic.com/zl5g7l.png

Mine only drains about 5% overnight, so that's not good! Might have to do a reset

Posted on my Galaxy S6 (S is for Super) via the Android Central App

GWaLL13

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

http://i59.tinypic.com/30l02me.png
http://i61.tinypic.com/zl5g7l.png

IMO the 20% loss overnight is no bueno. I set to airplane mode, do not disturb and keep wifi on at night and I lose 3% max.

krm0789

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
That's interesting. I definitely think the majority of drain is due to your phone constantly searching for a better signal. Does Verizon offer signal boosters? I know I had a similar issue with getting signal in certain parts of my apartment and T-Mobile gave me a signal booster. Also does Verizon have wifi calling yet? If so, you may want to try to use that and prioritize using wifi first. At night switching to airplane mode and enabling wifi keeps my battery drain to 1 or 2% while I sleep.

I agree about searching likely being the problem. I turned off wifi & 4G while out & had minimal drain, got back & turned them on & its draining rapidly again with the only use being a couple of text messages. My understanding is that their boosters aren't reasonable - my parents have inquired because they can't even text from their house, but I live in the city & consistently had 4G during my 3 years with my S3. I do still wonder if the metal on my Verus is the problem based on another person's amazon review, but haven't been able to wrestle the case off my phone yet to test that theory

GWaLL13

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I agree about searching likely being the problem. I turned off wifi & 4G while out & had minimal drain, got back & turned them on & its draining rapidly again with the only use being a couple of text messages. My understanding is that their boosters aren't reasonable - my parents have inquired because they can't even text from their house, but I live in the city & consistently had 4G during my 3 years with my S3. I do still wonder if the metal on my Verus is the problem based on another person's amazon review, but haven't been able to wrestle the case off my phone yet to test that theory

Gotcha. That's really odd. If you do end up testing it, it will be interesting to see what you find. When your wifi is on, do you have on the option to always allow scanning? It's under settings >> wifi >> advanced >> always allow scanning. Also what are your location settings? That may also contribute to the wifi drain. I disable location, because I barely ever use it unless I hop on Yelp or Maps, and in that case I just turn it on for the times I need it.

krm0789

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Gotcha. That's really odd. If you do end up testing it, it will be interesting to see what you find. When your wifi is on, do you have on the option to always allow scanning? It's under settings >> wifi >> advanced >> always allow scanning. Also what are your location settings? That may also contribute to the wifi drain. I disable location, because I barely ever use it unless I hop on Yelp or Maps, and in that case I just turn it on for the times I need it.

Always allow scanning is off, as is location - I just turn it on from the notification shade when I need maps or waze. I managed to get the phone into my Wavelength and it's back to 4G (for now?), so I'll be interested to see what happens with it tonight and tomorrow. If you or anyone else has suggestions of what else to toggle, they're much appreciated!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty