Who's switching to the G4?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Who's switching to th G4?

Well the review at pocketnow g4 vs s6 mike fisher said that g4 battery life is better than the s6. Go check the video yourself

Posted via the Android Central App
I can site at least one or two other reviews that are contrary. You have to take all reviews with a grain of salt.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
There's a lot of people getting pretty good SOT with the s6 even with that. The size of the battery isn't everything. It's how efficient the software is, processor, ram, etc.

I'm getting around 4 SOT with some pretty heavy apps (facebook/messenger, instagram, snapchat, youtube) which is slightly better than my old M8. And I'm plagued with the cell standby and android system battery drain, so it could possibly get better in the future.

What, do you have ultra power saving mode on all the time?

I'm getting 2 hrs, 45 minutes SOT and that's with power saving mode turned on at 50% battery power.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Galaxy S6.

shadow82x

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site

What, do you have ultra power saving mode on all the time?

I'm getting 2 hrs, 45 minutes SOT and that's with power saving mode turned on at 50% battery power.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Galaxy S6.

It's kind of weird really. My battery life was really pretty awful at first. But after a full reset, enabling advanced calling (verizon) things seemed to get a bit better. I also disabled most sync as the only thing I need synced is email. But I'm really impressed with it now. I guess it depends on everyone's usage pattern but the apps I use aren't supposed to be light on the battery.

Never used power saving mode but I'd consider anything over 2 hours SOT at 50% pretty decent. (4hours SOT total)
Screenshot_2015-05-09-21-38-35.jpg
Screenshot_2015-05-09-21-38-38.jpg

Will be interesting to see what the G4 SOT averages are.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

I would always disable a bunch of apps whenever I set up my phone, anything Samsung and Google related that I considered bloatware (I've had three different S6 units). The last time, I left it alone because I forgot, but I immediately noticed the battery was much better than before, so I left it alone. Might just be coincidence, but I was getting an average OST of 3 hours and 9 hours total according to GSAM, but now I get 4 and over 13, although I feel like it's more like 5.

Last edited:

limeaid

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

Fanboy? That statement alone implies you're a pretty big fanboy? I guess some people just can't accept the truth. Most review sites say the G4 actually has worst battery life, maybe you should do some searching outside of AC. That alone should pretty upsetting considering it's using an underwhelming processor and a greater capacity battery.

To each their own though. Buy whatever doesn't make you have buyers remorse. ;)

You apparently don't know what the word "imply" means as your first sentence makes absolutely no sense.

Only one review so far has said the gs6 has better battery life and that was phone arena, which has been really slipping lately. All other sites put the battery life of the g4 ahead of the gs6. My own personal experience with the gs6 was that it had horrendous battery life. Many others have found the same.

I stated this in another thread. When I bought the gs6, I really wanted to love the phone. I prefer the 5" form factor and loved the quick charging. But between the horrendous battery life, the pink tinted screen, and the camera autofocus NOT working, I've had about enough with Samsung quality control issues.

We will see about the g4. It could end up being a dud like the gs6 but I'm betting it won't be.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

You apparently don't know what the word "imply" means as your first sentence makes absolutely no sense.

Only one review so far has said the gs6 has better battery life and that was phone arena, which has been really slipping lately. All other sites put the battery life of the g4 ahead of the gs6. My own personal experience with the gs6 was that it had horrendous battery life. Many others have found the same.

I stated this in another thread. When I bought the gs6, I really wanted to love the phone. I prefer the 5" form factor and loved the quick charging. But between the horrendous battery life, the pink tinted screen, and the camera autofocus NOT working, I've had about enough with Samsung quality control issues.

We will see about the g4. It could end up being a dud like the gs6 but I'm betting it won't be.

Guess you didn't catch Mobile Tech Review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62uub0cHGEM

limeaid

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

Nope. Just refutes your claim that only one review said that the G4 battery was worse. Only time will tell when the G4 is available.

I guess I should have put a rolling eyes emoji because sarcasm seems to have missed you.

You know, ppl that don't have a leg to stand on often pick out minor technicalities and try to use those to seem like they have a point, all the while ignoring the obvious messages.

Most reviews have the g4 battery as performing better. The *laws of physics* also strongly suggest that the g4 battery performs better. Loads of ppl are pissed off about the gs6 battery. Just take a look at all the battery threads. You think that's a coincidence?

My point: the g4 battery life is very very very likely to be better than the gs6. This thread was started to ask who was considering switching to the g4. I gave my answer and my main reason: battery life.

Not sure why you seem offended by this

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I'll be switching to the G4 from the S6.

Looking forward to better battery life along with a great camera, screen etc. Also the leather looks really interesting, as I do find the glass on metal very very slippery. Just looks like a more appealing device to me.

I like the S6, but a few issues prevent me from loving it. Willing to move to something else.

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

Looking forward to better battery life along with a great camera, screen etc. Also the leather looks really interesting, as I do find the glass on metal very very slippery. Just looks like a more appealing device to me.

I like the S6, but a few issues prevent me from loving it. Willing to move to something else.

Cool, do come back and share your comparisons.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

I guess I should have put a rolling eyes emoji because sarcasm seems to have missed you.

You know, ppl that don't have a leg to stand on often pick out minor technicalities and try to use those to seem like they have a point, all the while ignoring the obvious messages.

Most reviews have the g4 battery as performing better. The *laws of physics* also strongly suggest that the g4 battery performs better. Loads of ppl are pissed off about the gs6 battery. Just take a look at all the battery threads. You think that's a coincidence?

My point: the g4 battery life is very very very likely to be better than the gs6. This thread was started to ask who was considering switching to the g4. I gave my answer and my main reason: battery life.

Not offended. You can't make broad generalizations that almost every review supports your opinion, which you are totally entitled to, sarcasm not required, but when not supported by the facts, I was just pointing that out. As there are no retail units are available, what are you basing your conclusions about G4 battery life? Reviewer test conditions are all over the place as demonstrated with the GS6. It depends on device setups, firmware versions, carrier model. In real life many are not having battery issues and have proven the reviewers wrong. Specs and reviewer comments have to be taken with a grain of salt. Time will tel when retail units are available.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Best of luck with the G4. It's running 5.1 out of the box whereas the GS6 will be later this summer and likely those with battery life and Standby issues will be helped. If the battery were to blame for all battery life issues, it would be more prevalent. The GS6 will be getting RAW output support so triple axis OIS is really it. Even with a larger aperture, the firmware can over correct lowlight shots resulting in a little noise. You'll need to buy an accessory for the wireless charging and have no rapid charging. You won't have two mobile payment systems. Larger batteries don't always equate to longer life.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Why should I worrie about battery life again?

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 780.jpg
    780.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 781.jpg
    781.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 106

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

From Michael Fisher of pocketnow. I like his opinions and reviews.
https://youtu.be/Wvz2vi4fC18

I had the G3 for about 10 days before returning it. The screen was the issue. Although it was the first QHD screen, it thought it was dull and it had thermal throttling to handle the heat which could dim it even more. The G4 looks to be improved so I need to see everything personally.

Returned my S6 because it would not wireless charge and ATT could not get it to either. Still leaning toward the S6 for non travel days and weekends where my battery life is not that big a deal and the camera is just so good. Have my Nexus 6 and iphone 6+ for days where battery might be a concern, and already have a nice battery pack I carry just in case the S6 poops out on me. I will take a look at the G4 once it comes out.

Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

I had the G3 for about 10 days before returning it. The screen was the issue. Although it was the first QHD screen, it thought it was dull and it had thermal throttling to handle the heat which could dim it even more. The G4 looks to be improved so I need to see everything personally.

Returned my S6 because it would not wireless charge and ATT could not get it to either. Still leaning toward the S6 for non travel days and weekends where my battery life is not that big a deal and the camera is just so good. Have my Nexus 6 and iphone 6+ for days where battery might be a concern, and already have a nice battery pack I carry just in case the S6 poops out on me. I will take a look at the G4 once it comes out.

Sorry it didn't work for you. Wireless charging on OEM through a Defender case worked fine for me. Did they offer an exchange or replacement unit?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Sorry it didn't work for you. Wireless charging on OEM through a Defender case worked fine for me. Did they offer an exchange or replacement unit?

They did not have a 64GB Black in stock at that store. I went to best buy to get the deal you got with the wireless charger and it was for preorders only. I then remembered I have a 250 Amazon card so will order it from them later today after we take my wife out for mothers day, it should be a sweet deal with a 2 year contract. I got a coupon from Samsung after signing in to my Samsung account from my S6 and used it to buy the OEM wireless charger for 42 bucks with tax and shipping.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

I like his videos as well. Like with all reviews, you have to take battery comparisons with a grain of salt. The G4 runs 5.1 out of the box and what GS6 version did he have, possibly one affected by the Lollipop issue. The GS6 will be getting the update later this summer. Power banks are easier to use on the go but obviously require charge time. He didn't really make a compelling case for the G4. The sd card slot and swappable battery are two features that I don't miss. No rapid charging. No wirless charging without buying another back cover and the versatility of swapping out the plastic back covers, again something you have to buy. Comparable cameras despite the fact that the GS6 is not bumming 5.1. He wasn't exactly thrilled with the UX interface and it's performance vs the GS6. When the G4 is out and the GS6 has 5.1, we will see how they compare.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

S6 all the way. I guess I am a lucky one that gets awesome battery life. I never need a mid day charge and I don't own a car charger.
Had the phone for 29 days and never once ran out of battery before bed time.
I am not impressed with the plastic / leather G4. To each their own. have fun with the G4 if you get it.
I will stick with the awesome S6 Edge since its the best device I have ever used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non