Battery life issue

Brian Exline

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I have been fighting my s6 for a couple weeks. Tried everything and just couldn't get the battery life under control. I would unplug it when I would wake up and by the time I had showered, eaten breakfast and was pulling out of my driveway I would be in the 85%-89% range already. Without charging I would be less than 20% by 2:00 with my normal usage.

Finally last night I decided to just do a factory reset and bite the bullet on having to set up everything again. As I type this at 4:45, I am at 62% and have used the phone a similar amount as I do most days. All of my settings are the same today as they were yesterday.

This is similar or maybe a little better than the iPhone 6 I got rid of for the s6. I could easily get a fully day out of my ip6 with it usually around 30% when I would plug it in at night. I can't explain what a relief it is to finally have a phone that I don't have to live in fear of running out of battery.

tlrd: Do a factory reset and hope you get similar results.

atkjhi

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Last night I did a factory reset and it didn't really do any good for me but it's not that big a deal. I've had the S6 since the weekend and have been averaging less than 2 hours SOT by the time the battery gets to about 30%. I think it has a lot to do with the way I use the phone, I basically just check financial data throughout the day and read some emails or check some message boards. I have a screen off app so I kill the screen as soon as I'm done using the phone always.

Last night after I did the factory update I was using the phone constantly for about 2 hours while I updated apps and played w/ settings and I had SOT of about 2 hrs 20 min and the batter only went down to about 70%. So it seems the phone rather stay on rather than constantly being turned on/off for 1-2 min bursts throughout the day. It's not that big a deal since at work I'm always at my desk near a charger if needed, at home I have a charger, and my commutes are less than 30 minutes either way.

Right now my SOT is 52 min and I'm already at 65%. I like the S6 enough that I'm not going to make a big deal over this. Hopefully some software updates in the future improve battery usage/efficiency.

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Maybe I missed the post but What carrier was the OP on? I'm on Verizon and in truly thankful I don't have these battery issues. I keep Wifi off when I'm not using it and that seems to significantly give me an enormous amount if stand by time. I don't have FB and a million other apps running in my background either though. Sometimes people have so many things running on their phone and they forget its a cellphone with a small battery and not a laptop. It's going to take a hit. I use AMOLED display and keep most if my features on and I survive a 9 hour work day and get home with my phone at 40% with moderate use. I'd back up my phone, do a hard reset and see if it gets better, if not call your carrier and tell them you're extremely displeased and would like to exchange devices. Try and work your magic, they always want a happy customer

Galaxy S6 Gang

Technically if you do the math, neither the 2600 mah S6 edge or 2550 mah regular S6 are within 10% of 2915. Another question I have, is should we be comparing the S6 to the iPhone 6 + or the iPhone 6? I don't know that there is a clear cut answer to that, but based on a combination of what I'm reading online and what I see from friends and coworkers, the 6+ has better battery life than the S6, but the regular iPhone 6 has worse.

Posted via the Android Central App

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys this is my first post here so please forgive me for any mistakes.

I have a white Samsung galaxy s6 32 gb and I have had it for around 2-3 weeks now and I have slight concerns about the battery life of this phone. I get around 2.5-3 SoT and that is after switching off all the unwanted settings, disabling all the unwanted apps, reducing screen brightness etc.

I have also tried pixel battery saver but that hasn't helped a lot.

Is it possible that this could be because of the lollipop memory leak issue and unwanted usage of ram because I seem to be having this problem.

Is this normal or average battery life or is it possible to get more out of this phone? Should I return it and get a new one because I have heard users getting around 5 hours SoT. Please help me out! Thanks!

I have an S6 and the battery life for me is just fine. I can easily get a 10 hour day of emails, texting etc... with lots to spare. As others have suggested return the phone if you have a concern about battery life.

BUT
There could be factors contributing to poor battery life for you. Things such as being in a poor signal area, continuously running apps like facebook, and of course, games. Some configuration settings like auto screen brightness can also cause excessive battery drain. Again my opinion, but poor battery life seems to be the topic du jour for the GS6.

Much of the forum input and amateur tech journalist reviews are simply ill informed, and just parroting back what they've read or heard somewhere else.

buris456

May 21, 2015
Visit site
maybe "Greenify" app can help you to solve your problem with your battery.
Also you can check wiseapp really nice app to solve all kind of things.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
i suffer no hardships doing this -

Battery Tips for Android

1. Toggle off High Accuracy GPS Mode, Bluetooth, NFC,
Hotspot/Tethering. Toggle on only as needed. (Set GPS Mode to "Battery
Saving" Mode).
2. Display Brightness - Turn off Auto Brightness and Reduce Setting
Bar to Minimum Acceptable to you.
3. Sign out of any unused Google Services like G+, Google Now, Hangouts, etc.
4. Disable Location Reporting and Location History.
5. Beware of constantly syncing in background Apps and Bloatware like
Facebook, Twitter, Weather Channel, Games, Google News/Weather,
Non-Push Email, etc. Set Sync interval for every 1 hour or more and
change settings to stop the syncing of data you don't need. Delete
their Apps and use their Web Page if acceptable.
6. Turn Off Hot Word "Hotword Detection" Always Listening Mode in
Google Search if you don't use it.
7. Turn Off Auto Camera/Photo Upload or at least set it for Upload on WIFI Only.
8. Turn Off Vibrate on Touch for Display, Keyboard, etc.
9. Turn Off Touch Sounds and Unlock Sounds.
10. Turn Off Ambient Display/Active Display Notifications if you don't need it.
11. Don't use a Live Wallpaper. Use a dark wallpaper if possible.
12. Set Display Sleep Setting to 2 Minutes or Less.
13. WIFI Settings - Advanced -
a. Network Notification - Set as OFF.
b. Scanning Always Available - Set as OFF.
c. Keep WIFI on during Sleep - Set as ALWAYS if you regularly use
WIFI. OK to keep WIFI on if you regularly use it.
14. Turn Off Always Vibrate in Gmail/Email.
15. Be careful of using too many Live Widgets and what/how often they sync.
16. Set MS Exchange Sync at 30 Days or Less if you use it.
17. Do NOT use a Task Killer App or Battery Saver App.
18. Uninstall ALL Apps that you never use. If you haven't used an
App in one month, uninstall it.
19. Reboot your phone at least once a month.
20. Wipe Cache Partition at least once a quarter or after every OS Update.
21. Consider a Factory Data Reset with a manual re-sync, manual
reinstall of all data and Apps after every major OS Letter Update.
Make sure that all of your data is first backed up to Google and
Dropbox, etc.

"I SUFFER NO HARDSHIPS DOING THIS" - this means that i personally am
giving up NOTHING with these tips. i'm not giving up any features.
there are no tradeoffs for me. a tradeoff or a hardship would be to
turn off PUSH email or use AIRPLANE mode during the day etc.

you have to find your own balance and the tips list is a start but you
must come to your own conclusion as to what's important. it's personal
preference but these are not a big deal to me at all as they do not
affect the function or operation of my phone. these tips do not
deteriorate my experience.

you don't HAVE TO do anything. the point is you if you want to
MAXIMIZE battery life you can turn things off that you aren't using.
it only makes sense. there is a FINITE amount of juice in ANY
battery. you choose how you want to spend that juice. by default most
of these devices have every feature set as ON whether you use them or
not. i prefer to change the settings in my phone to only use those
features that i personally use and need so i can maximize battery
life. i don't leave all the lights and TVs on in my house 24/7 - i
turn them on when i need them. i'm not giving anything up. my phone
does everything exactly like i want it to. i'm not missing out on
anything. it's no hardship for me. it's life. life is a delicate
balance. it's up to you to find that balance.

5-20-15

I suffer no hardships saying this, but I turn off nothing and destroy iPhone 6 battery life.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
LOL. Don't know about the 6plus. But you are flat out wrong there about the I phone6. My sister who owns a phone6 frequently complains about the poor battery life of her phone. When I go to pick her up from work her phone is dead or almost close to it while my s6 still has between 35-45% battery left. Now. Admittedly she is on social media more than I am. But I also play more games than she does.

Agreed. My wife's iPhone 6 would be useless without her mophie case whereas my S6 can go all day long on one charge.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I've been trying to follow what people are saying about FB being a hog on these phones ... but I've yet to figure out exactly what everyone is trying to say. I probably open up FB once a day to check things out ... I don't post much at all, about anything ... just read/look. I have all notifications turned off in FB ... and do not sync anything with it. I never see any background stuff going on that drains the battery. I don't check the app specifically, but even after an all day stint, and checking the usage meter on my phone, if FB is in there, it's WAY down at the bottom barely using any resources.

FYI, I don't ever sign in/out ... I stay signed in 100% of the time ...

kyle.brown

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I think what hurts mine is where i work i only get 2 bars on LTE and in my house my service is super poor. Along with playing clash of kings i am pretty sure thats what is killing my battery but not sure how to pin point what makes my phone only last around 13-15 hours with 2-3 Screen time on.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I think what hurts mine is where i work i only get 2 bars on LTE and in my house my service is super poor. Along with playing clash of kings i am pretty sure thats what is killing my battery but not sure how to pin point what makes my phone only last around 13-15 hours with 2-3 Screen time on.

towards the end of the day, when your battery is getting low, look in your smart manager or usage manager (whichever is on your phone) and see what apps are drawing the most from your battery. It may not be as straight forward as you'd like - because screen-on-time will be one category, and the other apps will also have usage percentages associated with them ...

but if facebook and/or clash of kings is near the top of the list eating up lots of battery life, you'll know they are big players in the reason for your battery drain.