Fed Up With Terrible Reception

LSXGMC

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
Hey all, I'm kind of venting here and at the same time hoping for some sort of direction because I'm absolutely fed up with my S6.

I upgraded roughly a month and a half ago from an S4. My phone usage was below normal for the first week or two as I was busy with a variety of projects. As my usage increased I started noticing what I would consider a pretty significant issue with reception. Texts coming in late, voicemail without any missed calls showing on the phone, and more importantly very erratic mobile data reception. I commute 100km each way to work so having good mobile data coverage is pretty important to me to help pass the time. Initially I thought maybe network issues were to blames so after a month of use I finally got fed up and called SaskTel, my service provider. They started a case file and we went through the usual spiel: no known network problems, possible network congestion, no known S6 issues, is my phone software up to date, yadda, yadda. Pretty unproductive for the most part but it has provoked me to do a bit more research and pay even closer attention to the details and try a few different things.

Initially I had attempted changing my network settings from LTE/WCDMA/GSM to WCDMA/GSM and then WCDMA only. No noticeable change. Then I purchased a SIM card adapter and put my SIM into my old S4. In five days of usage I didn't have a single issue that was out of the norm (there are two weak spots on my commute to work that can result in slow to no data some days). So now it is narrowed down to a phone issue. When I put the SIM back in to the S6 and started it up it notified me that there was a new software update. I held out hope that maybe this would be the fix, but in my observation it changed the problem slightly but there is no overall improvement. Pre-update when I noticed a possible issue I'd run a speed test and always get a "Network Communication Issues" message. It was either normal speeds or nothing at all. Post-update it now still gives me the same message frequently, but now I can also end up with very poor speed test results. Usually with speeds of less than .4 Mbps. Occasionally I will have a normal download speed and a poor upload speed (.1-.3 Mbps). I can be sitting in the same spot for an hour and have data speeds that are wildly erratic, I can have no service one minute and then be up to 10 Mbps download (norm is usually 5-6 is a good coverage area), and then back to no or poor speeds five minutes later. There are days when commuting to or from work that I experience reasonable coverage/speeds and there are days when I have nothing for almost the entire trip. I've also been checking the signal strength in relation to my speeds, and I can't even make heads or tails of it. Signal strength is normally in the -85 to -95dBm. 50% of the time when I lose service it still shows a normal signal strength, the other 50% is shows -110dBm which seems to be where the phone bottoms out. One other observation I've made is that in the "status" display the phone is constantly bouncing between HSUPA and HSPA+.

For what it is worth, on a normal day I will experience no/slow coverage roughly 5-15 times a day. Heavier usage it can be upwards of 20. Typically the full loss of coverage will last 1-3 minutes, occasionally as much as 5. Factoring in the periods of slow service between the loss in coverage, there are times when my mobile data is essentially useless for 10-15 minutes.

Through all this I decided to reach out on a provincial based forum to see if anyone else was experiencing the same. I had one individual who seemed to know the smartphone market very well tell me that the antennae in the S6 is nowhere near as good as the S4, and of current offerings only Sony really is comparable to the S4. Even if the antennae is not as good as the S4, I want to strongly believe that my phone is just a dud. At this point I don't I don't know how easy SaskTel is going to be to work with (plan on talking to them this week), but depending what my options are I'm not sure if I should push for a new S6 and hope it's better or throw in the towel on Samsung and give the Sony Z3 a try since it was my second choice anyway.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If the phone is under warranty, it's their responsibility to fix it. If it's a design issue and they can't fix it, the law probably (I'm not in Canada) requires that they give you an equivalent phone that does work.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
For the S6, Samsung switched from Laser Direct Structuring (LDS) antenna type to flexible PCB (FPCB) type, in order to meander through the internal components with the antenna parts, exposing it to places where it will get maximum signal strength.

I'm pretty sure this new technology is the reason so many users across the world have crap reception, but yeh its just my personal theory.

dreaming of electric sheep

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
For the S6, Samsung switched from Laser Direct Structuring (LDS) antenna type to flexible PCB (FPCB) type, in order to meander through the internal components with the antenna parts, exposing it to places where it will get maximum signal strength.

I'm pretty sure this new technology is the reason so many users across the world have crap reception, but yeh its just my personal theory.

I agree with this.

Posted via the Android Central App

LSXGMC

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
I can't say I've observed any issues with wifi. SaskTel has sent my phone away for repair, though I'm doubtful I'll see any improvement.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Reception is the final frontier for my S6 issues, hoping to figure out the best possible configuration.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

Exactly, I am on Telus in Ontario, Canada. I had ZERO issues on my S4. I switched to the S6 and now if I hit 4G ( Which is what I am on all day at work ) I have slow to no internet, I get the no service symbol frequently and texts won't send or don't receive.
I have gone through all the hoops, new sim, factory reset and even sent in my phone. Same crap.
I updated to 5.1.1 same issue.
I know it's the Antenna. But it's also Telus, because I have friends on Bell at work, and Rogers and they have no issues. Telus obviously doesn't have strong enough service to work with the flex tech.
Not happy at all.

Hquinn81

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Between bad reception and bad battery life, I completely regret buying this phone. Never had reception issues with my S5. It's nice to have bells and whistles, but for me, the reason why I have a phone is to communicate.

mashussein

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey all, I'm kind of venting here and at the same time hoping for some sort of direction because I'm absolutely fed up with my S6.

I upgraded roughly a month and a half ago from an S4. My phone usage was below normal for the first week or two as I was busy with a variety of projects. As my usage increased I started noticing what I would consider a pretty significant issue with reception. Texts coming in late, voicemail without any missed calls showing on the phone, and more importantly very erratic mobile data reception. I commute 100km each way to work so having good mobile data coverage is pretty important to me to help pass the time. Initially I thought maybe network issues were to blames so after a month of use I finally got fed up and called SaskTel, my service provider. They started a case file and we went through the usual spiel: no known network problems, possible network congestion, no known S6 issues, is my phone software up to date, yadda, yadda. Pretty unproductive for the most part but it has provoked me to do a bit more research and pay even closer attention to the details and try a few different things.

Initially I had attempted changing my network settings from LTE/WCDMA/GSM to WCDMA/GSM and then WCDMA only. No noticeable change. Then I purchased a SIM card adapter and put my SIM into my old S4. In five days of usage I didn't have a single issue that was out of the norm (there are two weak spots on my commute to work that can result in slow to no data some days). So now it is narrowed down to a phone issue. When I put the SIM back in to the S6 and started it up it notified me that there was a new software update. I held out hope that maybe this would be the fix, but in my observation it changed the problem slightly but there is no overall improvement. Pre-update when I noticed a possible issue I'd run a speed test and always get a "Network Communication Issues" message. It was either normal speeds or nothing at all. Post-update it now still gives me the same message frequently, but now I can also end up with very poor speed test results. Usually with speeds of less than .4 Mbps. Occasionally I will have a normal download speed and a poor upload speed (.1-.3 Mbps). I can be sitting in the same spot for an hour and have data speeds that are wildly erratic, I can have no service one minute and then be up to 10 Mbps download (norm is usually 5-6 is a good coverage area), and then back to no or poor speeds five minutes later. There are days when commuting to or from work that I experience reasonable coverage/speeds and there are days when I have nothing for almost the entire trip. I've also been checking the signal strength in relation to my speeds, and I can't even make heads or tails of it. Signal strength is normally in the -85 to -95dBm. 50% of the time when I lose service it still shows a normal signal strength, the other 50% is shows -110dBm which seems to be where the phone bottoms out. One other observation I've made is that in the "status" display the phone is constantly bouncing between HSUPA and HSPA+.

For what it is worth, on a normal day I will experience no/slow coverage roughly 5-15 times a day. Heavier usage it can be upwards of 20. Typically the full loss of coverage will last 1-3 minutes, occasionally as much as 5. Factoring in the periods of slow service between the loss in coverage, there are times when my mobile data is essentially useless for 10-15 minutes.

Through all this I decided to reach out on a provincial based forum to see if anyone else was experiencing the same. I had one individual who seemed to know the smartphone market very well tell me that the antennae in the S6 is nowhere near as good as the S4, and of current offerings only Sony really is comparable to the S4. Even if the antennae is not as good as the S4, I want to strongly believe that my phone is just a dud. At this point I don't I don't know how easy SaskTel is going to be to work with (plan on talking to them this week), but depending what my options are I'm not sure if I should push for a new S6 and hope it's better or throw in the towel on Samsung and give the Sony Z3 a try since it was my second choice anyway.

I have an ATT Samsung Galaxy Note 5 , same issues in addition to loosing 20% of battery power over a 6h night period with all apps closed and on calls the other party all of a sudden can't hear me 4/5 minute in to the conversation. Samsung has the phone to evaluate if it is a hardware problem.... I'm glad I kept my Sony Xperia Z3. Good workhose!!

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I have an ATT Samsung Galaxy Note 5 , same issues in addition to loosing 20% of battery power over a 6h night period with all apps closed and on calls the other party all of a sudden can't hear me 4/5 minute in to the conversation. Samsung has the phone to evaluate if it is a hardware problem.... I'm glad I kept my Sony Xperia Z3. Good workhose!!

There are a lot of people dealing with this issue all over the world. Samsung's antenna runs weaker then other devices. I have searched far and high for an answer. There are only two main fixes I have found

1. Downgrade mobile reception to 3g
2. Upgrade system software or flash different roms to try and get stable modem software.

Basically if you live in a weak 4g area your signal will be very weak to zero when using these s6 or Note 5. If you are close to a 4g tower you can get very solid reception. But what I realised that even with one bar of solid reception I never miss a call, it's only when the signal keeps dropping to 3g and h+ that it just can't cope.

It's crazy when we analyze all the specs for days and weeks before purchasing these premium devices, who would have thought that Samsung just wouldn't give a **** about solid phone reception.

LSXGMC

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
Any updates? Did they give you a replacement phone?

Sorry for the delayed response, I've sort of been in limbo with the phone and haven't been checking in. I sent it away Aug 21st, was called to pick it up on Sept 8th. Got there and the screen had about a 1" crack in it, so they sent it away to have the screen replaced now. I've yet to hear back. I asked what was done and the work order said the antenna was replaced. Based on everything I've read I'm keeping my expectations low. I'd love to get the phone back and have it perform as well as my S4, but if it doesn't I guess I'll fight for a different phone.

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
Yup, same issues here. I suspect it's a Samsung thing...
I had a Note 2 and had the exact same issues. While I borrowed it to my wife, I used a HTC One and had no signal issues. In fact, it always had signal (for voice & data) when everyone else with Samsung phones struggled to do anything.
When I upgraded to the S6 Edge, same issues all over again. In fact, between my wife and I, we've owned a S2, S3, S4, Note 2 and even a A3. Out of all of them, the S6 is the worst!!
What's frustrating for me is, every time I open a browser or something that requires a connection when opened, it will hang for anything between 3-10 seconds before opening it. Then it will work fine for a while and suddenly just drop signal for a second or two.
I am a MASSIVE Samsung fan, but this just annoy me...

LSXGMC

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
That sucks! swappa?

Hopefully. I'm going to use the phone for a couple of weeks so I have further documentation of the issue. Don't really have time to deal with it in the short term anyway, working the next 5 days, going fishing for my 4 days off then back to work for another 5. I'll just put the sim back in the S4 once I have had enough.

mkurz12

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm also having terrible reception. Signal constantly bouncing around from 4G to 3G and 1X. WiFi signal does seem to disconnect randomly but when it is connected to seems to be a strong signal. Regardless, the cell signal is horrible and the phone is going back. I was stuck on 1X for about an hour this morning. Pulled out my work phone (iphone 5C) and had full bars of 4G (both phones are on Verizon).
Even when the signal is steady I seem to have a lesser connection than others around me.
I have only had the phone for a week and have not once had full bars showing. It is almost always showing only 1 or 2 bars.
Taking it back tonight but not sure what I'll go with. Not a fan of the phones all being so large. The S6 is pretty much my limit.

LSXGMC

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
I managed to set a little time aside to make a call today while I'm switching over to night shift.

Finally! An admission by my service provider that there is a known issue with the S6! The tech rep told me that network connection issues outside LTE coverage area is a known issue that is not carrier specific. They've escalated a case with Samsung with no response yet. Which is awesome, because now I've "escalated" my case with them to no satisfactory response. Round, round we go. After a couple very laughable suggestions to get me by through the interim I suggested that the service rep talk to a manager. The manager's response was to take it back to the specific store I purchased it from as they are better equipped to handle the issue.

So back into limbo I go. Short of some crazy weather ruining my fishing plans, it's going to be 2 weeks before I can get to the store and deal with this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty