I'm about to pull off the screen protector off my Galaxy S7 Edge and you can't stop me

Christopher Meinck

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm crazy about my phones, in many ways. One is making sure they stay protected. My ritual is to buy a case and a tempered glass screen protector before I even get a phone. With the Galaxy S7 Edge that I own now, I ordered my UAG case right after I pre-ordered. I then went through a G7 Edge (T-Mobile), GS 7 (T-Mobile, GS 7 (AT&T) before settling on a GS 7 Edge (AT&T). I told you I was crazy about phones. But that's another story.

It's been impossible to find a good tempered glass screen protector the S7 Edge. Anything that's out now is getting poor reviews. I figured I'd get an IQ Shield to hold me over. It's been a little over a week and I cannot in good conscience, leave this on my phone. This is like having a Ferrari and putting a 0.99 cent bumper sticker on the back. It's pealing up from the top and bottom, which isn't a great look. Not to mention, you can clearly notice the feel of the plastic. It's taking away from enjoyment of what is just an awesome phone.

I would have done it earlier, but I read entirely too many comments about Gorilla Glass 4 and micro scratches.

We'll see how long this lasts and if there are any tears once I see my first scratch.

Are you carrying your S7/S7 Edge without a screen protector? What's been your experience?

jairrab

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I ripped the glass-type screen protector off my S6 3 months ago, since I couldn't stand feeling that bump along it's edge everytime I swipe from the edge. No scratch since, although I still have an Spigen slim case for my phone, which I think still gives it some level of screen protection.

Christopher Meinck

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I sometime wonder if the reported issues are based on how people care for their phones. Barring accidents, I'm assuming this display isn't going to scratch from being pocketed on a daily basis. Honestly, I don't know - but the flipside is using a phone where the screen doesn't feel good, because it's wrapped in saran wrap.

teristark

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm with you on the peeling edges! I pulled mine off 2 days ago because I couldn't stand it one second longer. So far, no regrets. When a decent tempered glass comes out I'll give it a go again. My leather wallet case protects it really well so I'm not worried. The edge is a beautiful phone but that beauty is also its curse.

Christopher Meinck

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm not adverse to picking up another case. I do like the UAG, but maybe a wallet case makes sense for some of the time. The UAG is easy enough to remove. Which wallet case did you buy? Do you like it overall?

I'm not expecting much on the tempered glass front. Most of the early models only stick on the top bottom and edges. That'll inevitably lead to a gap between the screen and the protector - which isn't great for usability.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I got my GS7 edge before official launch and it's been "screen naked" since then.
I work in construction and the phone has fallen off to the floor a couple of times.
The only scratches I see, are on the Spigen Tough Armor case that I use for work.
Last year I got the GS6 edge at launch, used it with 2 different cases (one for work, one for the weekends) but no screen protector.
It fell a few times, one time it fell into a bucket full of tools. It came out with 2 tiny scratches.
2 weeks later, I installed a Zagg screen protector on the GS6 edge and gave it to my wife because I got the GS7 edge.

limitbreak09

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I bought more than like 10 screen protectors already and they were all s***. When I tried to install it too many bubbles and I ended up ripping it off bc of my frustration. So for a month now im using mine without the screen protector and no issues so far.

-S7Edge

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I went protector-less for a few weeks and noticed it had gotten a couple micro scratches from just getting it in and out of my pocket. I got a Spigen curved crystal protector off Amazon shortly after I noticed. It's only been less than a week but there's no lifting or peeling so far. I did notice the protector itself is getting it's share of damage from going in and out of my pocket but I'd rather it be that, a piece I can replace, than my actual screen. Just my .02

teristark

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm not adverse to picking up another case. I do like the UAG, but maybe a wallet case makes sense for some of the time. The UAG is easy enough to remove. Which wallet case did you buy? Do you like it overall?

I'm not expecting much on the tempered glass front. Most of the early models only stick on the top bottom and edges. That'll inevitably lead to a gap between the screen and the protector - which isn't great for usability.

Shop-leather Vintage leather case

This is the one I got and I like it a lot. It fits perfectly in my scrub pants pocket. I keep the strap stretched around it twice to keep it closed in case I drop it. I have had the ones with magnet clasps but they have on occasion popped open when it was dropped. I am not entirely thrilled with the plastic shell that holds it in place. The one I had for my s6 was less flimsy. I think this must be due to the Edge design that makes the shell less solid to me.

As for the tempered glass you are probably correct but technology gets better every day so there is hope. :)

flintlock

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Most are using pockets nowadays so remember, turn your pocket inside out very often. It's amazing how easily specks of sand get in there.

Of course keys, change, knives use other pocket but I didn't have to say that. Did I?

IBJammin

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Most are using pockets nowadays so remember, turn your pocket inside out very often. It's amazing how easily specks of sand get in there.

Of course keys, change, knives use other pocket but I didn't have to say that. Did I?

Yup sand is a real problem.

Posted via the Android Central App

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
I got the Best Skins Ever screen protector that is made to be used with cases and it works perfectly with my two cases - no peeling at the edges. Putting it on was fairly easy, though I definitely would recommend heeding their words to use a spray bottle for the solution (which you make out of water and Dawn dish soap or similar brand) because I didn't have a spray bottle and got way too much solution on the protector, making it slide around too easily on the screen when installing it. I did get it to line up well and it looks great. It is only the slightest bit rubbery feeling (some reviews say it isn't at all, but my senses are ultra-sensitive, so I do feel it) and the only orange peel effect is when a bright light reflects off the screen (like sunlight in the shape of your window), but it is still slight. I got the glossy, not matte, version, and front only and the case version.

Christopher Meinck

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Just reporting back. It's been a few weeks since my post. My felt pouch case came and while it's nice, it's a bit of a hassle to carry a cased phone in a pouch. I've been cleaning my pockets out before putting my S7 Edge in them. This way, if there's any rogue sand particles, I remove them. Had a million dollar idea for jeans that have felt liners! Then again, only crazy obsessed phone folks would buy'em.

So far, so good. Fingers crossed. And still no luck finding a good tempered glass screen protector for the S7 Edge. Hoping the Zagg Contour is the answer. We'll see.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I've been using naked screen phones since the first Galaxy S. That phone, my Note II and my S3 mini are still pristine. The only coverings they get are cases, more for bump protection that anything else. However with my Edge, I got a case that sort of fits it's "premium" look and feel with some protection. I think it would be equivalent to slim fit cases. I got a Samsung leather case for the thing and it just feels premium still. Not so bad for a slim case.
b6c9bae4c4f00611a7c98ffcd759314d.jpg
2640ee4b89208a32f9eba941e1ca5c8e.jpg
469b03d1a0074dae93991144923c3a79.jpg

Captpt

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I've been using naked screen phones since the first Galaxy S. That phone, my Note II and my S3 mini are still pristine. The only coverings they get are cases, more for bump protection that anything else. However with my Edge, I got a case that sort of fits it's "premium" look and feel with some protection. I think it would be equivalent to slim fit cases. I got a Samsung leather case for the thing and it just feels premium still. Not so bad for a slim case

Where did you get the Samsung Leather Case/cover??
Looked all over samsung's accessories and case pages and can't find it anywhere??

Lance Redden

May 9, 2016
Visit site
I'm crazy about my phones, in many ways. One is making sure they stay protected. My ritual is to buy a case and a tempered glass screen protector before I even get a phone. With the Galaxy S7 Edge that I own now, I ordered my UAG case right after I pre-ordered. I then went through a G7 Edge (T-Mobile), GS 7 (T-Mobile, GS 7 (AT&T) before settling on a GS 7 Edge (AT&T). I told you I was crazy about phones. But that's another story.

It's been impossible to find a good tempered glass screen protector the S7 Edge. Anything that's out now is getting poor reviews. I figured I'd get an IQ Shield to hold me over. It's been a little over a week and I cannot in good conscience, leave this on my phone. This is like having a Ferrari and putting a 0.99 cent bumper sticker on the back. It's pealing up from the top and bottom, which isn't a great look. Not to mention, you can clearly notice the feel of the plastic. It's taking away from enjoyment of what is just an awesome phone.

I would have done it earlier, but I read entirely too many comments about Gorilla Glass 4 and micro scratches.

We'll see how long this lasts and if there are any tears once I see my first scratch.

Are you carrying your S7/S7 Edge without a screen protector? What's been your experience?

I hate cases. That being said. Screen protectors are a must for me. Having the galaxy s7 Edge I'm beginning to realize there aren't many good Tempered Glass options around. They look tacky... Break easy, and are very low quality.

Soooooo. I looked into Zagg, which I've always had good luck with. Turns out their making a Tempered Glass option, finally. So as soon as it's released that's what I'm be rocking on my device. In the mean time, I'm extremely pleased with Zaggs HD film screen protector. It feels great, repels smudges, crystal clear, relatively easy to install. Highly recommend it in the meantime. Good luck!

Posted via the Android Central App on S7 Edge

Rozay87

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I am going through the same problems, only i havent been using the glass protectors, only the wet application ones. it seems to be due to the overall design of the phone. ive had my s7 edge since march and i have been through 4 different TPU cases and 4 different brands of screen protector. i even tried Armor shield, which is touted as "case friendly" and NOPE! still lifts on the corners once the case is on after about a day. very frustrating. ive given up hope but if anyone has a good recommendation, i am all ears. strangely enough, my gf has the s6 Edge + and her screen protector is pristine, no lifting and she has a case as well.....(shrugs)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress