factory reset after firmware update

raptorz

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
so yesterday i updated the phone to the latest firmware available,the updating was a success no issues occurred,after that a friend suggested me to do a factory reset to avoid any potential bugs/issues, and i did so,the thing is i noticed that the phone was showing both 'erasing' and 'installing updates' while the factory reset was operating,so why did that happen? i mean i thought that the update was completely installed,why showing installing updates again along with erasing? does that mean that there were some files not installed yet,and i was supposed to give the phone some time before doing factory reset so that the update could be 100% installed? or this is normal and the update gets installed completely at once?

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
No, when you did the factory reset you erased any and all updates the phone has received since you first turned it on out of the box. You don't do factory resets after you get an update.

You don't have to but sometimes you can just reboot the phone after an update to make sure active and installed correctly, Kinda like how you have to reboot windows after updates and other major changes.

anon(79257)

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
No, when you did the factory reset you erased any and all updates the phone has received since you first turned it on out of the box. You don't do factory resets after you get an update.

You don't have to but sometimes you can just reboot the phone after an update to make sure active and installed correctly, Kinda like how you have to reboot windows after updates and other major changes.

This is incorrect. Factory reset does nothing more than remove personal data.

anon(79257)

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
so yesterday i updated the phone to the latest firmware available,the updating was a success no issues occurred,after that a friend suggested me to do a factory reset to avoid any potential bugs/issues, and i did so,the thing is i noticed that the phone was showing both 'erasing' and 'installing updates' while the factory reset was operating,so why did that happen? i mean i thought that the update was completely installed,why showing installing updates again along with erasing? does that mean that there were some files not installed yet,and i was supposed to give the phone some time before doing factory reset so that the update could be 100% installed? or this is normal and the update gets installed completely at once?

It's usually a good idea to let firmware 'settle' for a day or two before 'freaking out'. That said, a factory wipe is not the end of the world... just make sure you back up your files.

raptorz

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
It's usually a good idea to let firmware 'settle' for a day or two before 'freaking out'. That said, a factory wipe is not the end of the world... just make sure you back up your files.

i did a factory reset 10 mins after updating,so i just want to know is it normal to see installing updates along with erasing, and how can i detect update failure? ( if what i did caused problem to the update)

anon(79257)

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
i did a factory reset 10 mins after updating,so i just want to know is it normal to see installing updates along with erasing, and how can i detect update failure? ( if what i did caused problem to the update)

Did it say "updating android" and show a number (like 5/123)? If so, that's normal.

TheCRV

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site

I am surprised no one understood your question, and that nobody has done a factory reset on one of these.

I just purchased an S7 edge from Verizon and perfomed a factory reset, and the exact same thing happened to me. I do not believe it is actually installing an update, I think that Samsung puts the device in update mode to do the reset. It appears to be normal.

Hope this helps.

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
It says "updating android" every time you go into the recovery mode. I have never seen anything to identify if it actually does anything or not. But it always does it upon entry to recovery mode. I find that battery life takes a hit after a major update and often do a factory reset after updates just to start everything over again. I think its a good idea to do from time to time, like every six months to a year, just to wipe out all the vestiges of removed apps and the like.

So too on computers, from uninstalled apps to start with a clean registry. Older computers suddenly become fast again, like new, by periodically reformatting the system drive and starting over.

Its a PITA, but performance is significantly enhanced. I can do the phone in about 2 hours and be right back where i was. Restoring a back up you just sit and watch, rearranging your home screen as it used to be and re-logging into all your programs takes the most personal effort.

So too, on the computer, you don't want to restore the old registry, so you have to reinstall all your applications from scratch. Takes time, but well worth it in terms of performance.

Just my humble opinion, YMMV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress