so has any broken there rear glass yet?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Nope haven't cracked it yet, but managed to inexplicably get several light scratches across the screen. o.- I thought gorilla glass was tough, I guess not.
Gorilla glass is tough. It's scratch resist. Glass in general has higher mohs scale than metal. But if you put something sharp and hard as the glass, like silica sans grains, and it rubs on the glass, then you get scratches.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I read one guy who said his was in an otterbox but cracked anyway. I believe he said the back actually cracked. It made me wonder how many people with cases have cracked glass in the back and don't even know it. I know when I drop my phone I only check the screen. As long as it functions properly I would never take off the case to check the back. When I was really hot to get the edge7 there were none available. After waiting this long I am going to wait a little longer to check out the Note 6 then decide which I want. If delicate screen were not an issue I would prefer the size of the edge 7 and I rarely use the stylus on my note anyway. If I put a "safe" 2 layer cover on an edge 7 hiding its beauty it kind of loses its appeal for me. First World Problems eH? LOL

I take my case off to clean it and the back twice a week, so i would know. I also have an advantage that I have now owned 3 glass phones in a row. The Note 5, S6+ and now the S7. I've learned how to deal with glass phones. I check my pockets before i slide my phone in and haven't had an issue with any of the three.

My iPhones over the years have also taught me a thing or two about handling sensitive phones. :)

Semiliner

May 8, 2016
Visit site
My s7edge was lying on a blanket, screen faced down. I dropped a set of keys (3 keys) on it from 15cm (7inches) and the back glass shattered so badly it looks like my phone took a bullet. I'm beyond furious.

clickerman

May 19, 2013
Visit site
If I had a phone with a glass back I would most definitely put a case on it. Therefore, I can't see the advantage of having a glass backed phone. A plastic back with a case is just fine with me.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If I had a phone with a glass back I would most definitely put a case on it. Therefore, I can't see the advantage of having a glass backed phone. A plastic back with a case is just fine with me.

Sadly the majority didn't agree. Samsung went with the majority complaint which was a cheap plastic feel is bad so.. They changed.

shayaan alam

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I am from India and i broke my Galaxy S7 back glass within a week with a simple bump. Didn't have insurance so ran to service centre they charged me 4k (rupees) that would be around 80 or 60 us dollars for you guyz... And now i can say the back is definitely not Gorilla Glass 4.
Learnt my lesson.

Samsunggalaxys7

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
Managed to crack my rear glass on the second day walking with the phone in my pocket (Must of bumped into something)

Any rate, here was the cost to replace the rear glass from samsung.

*04/28/2016//19:32:12//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
4/28/2016 6:31 PM-Virginia Nunez: The unit is shipped.
*04/28/2016//19:32:11//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*
4/28/2016 6:31 PM-Virginia Nunez: Customer creditcard payment captured succesfully. Amount = $70.31
*04/28/2016//16:45:16//0001773863//Telephone//ASC*

I have just pulled my phone out my pocket to find the full back glass smashed, not had any bumps or anything as far as I know, and hasn't left my pocket! Gutted to say the least..

So today, I had been out the house for say 10 minutes.. I pull my phone out my pocket to find the back glass completely smashed. No bumps or hits, and hadnt left my pocket the whole time.. really gutted, never had a problem with Samsung.

Last edited by a moderator:

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I broke the front the other day from a very insignificant drop. The back is fine. Much easier for the case to protect the back, the edge screen make full coverage on the back difficult

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Mine fell out of my waist high bag onto a pebble beach with a light £2 silicone back case and a stick on pvc screen protector on it and survived the experience. I now ensure that the bag zip is fully fastened on the last 3" down the side. I think I was lucky!

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
For the ones that put them in your pockets, it's not only if you bump into something, it's stress. Sitting, bending, kneeling, anything like that can put stress on your phone causing the glass to break. It's generally not a good idea to put your phones in your pocket, for this reason and creating excessive heat, we all have seen the videos of someone's phone going up in flames in their pockets.

Nicole2320

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
My pops phone was in an Otterbox case, he said didnt drop it but the back is shattered. He said the phone told him it was too hot ad it shut off. He took it out the otterbox and that is when he notice the cracked back

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Dropped mine and the front screen shattered. The back was fine. Shame it was that way round! Thankfully had insurance to sort it out

johnplove

Dec 17, 2016
Visit site
I literally received my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge November 16th, on the 17th I went on a ten day vacation to Tampa then Orlando. Worked amazing had no issues with it but when I went to Universal Studio's I noticed after the Harry Potter ride my back of my phone was cracked in several places. Now to me this is a major design fail with the S7. I seriously have never seen this in my life, my front screen is impeccable so how the heck is that possible?

Phones are designed to be carried in pockets. Mine would be useless if I couldn't do that. But I always use a front pocket that's neither too tight (stress) nor too loose (falling out).
Who the heck in there right mind is thinking about the back of a phone cracking?

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress