Anyone dropped their S7 Edge and it didn't Crack??!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2016
Visit site
I was on another forum earlier and was reading all kinds of horror stories about how the screens on these phones are cracking at nothing. I wanted to share my experience in hopes of getting the word out before it happens to you or to discourage people from buying this piece of junk.

Two weeks after buying and treating this thing like a piece of Gold, I get out of my car, drop the phone about a foot from the ground and the screen is shattered. I had an S3 and I dropped that phone at least 100 times and its still as good as new. I think Samsung should stand behind their $800 product and give some customer support as Iphone would if they developed a defective product. This phone has issues and Samsung is NOT stepping up to the plate and backing it.

Please share you experiences with your phone as i would like to start a Class action lawsuit to force Samsung to fix their faulty product.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Anyone dropped their S7 Edge and it didnt Crack??!?!?!

There are several videos on Youtube of the S7 falling from waist high or even some with head high and no cracks. However, remember that this is still glass, and obviously, it will crack when it falls, depending on how it will fall. A protruding object hitting it directly at any area of the screen will cause a crack, and it will spread. A fall where it hits something harded than glass, and it will crack. To compare, my brother had an S3 and on one fall the screen cracked, and yours didn't. It's simply the luck of the draw on falls. Are you serious that you think a case would even work? Samsung's only defense could be: "It's glass, of course it would break if handled improperly.", and it would freaking hold in court.

May 8, 2016
Visit site

My point is when a consumer pays $800 for a phone and there are MULTIPLE reports of the screen cracking at nothing, some without even a drop occuring, there are design issues with the phone. Its simply not fair for Samsung to not back their product and do something to take care of paying customers.

I get it, glass will break but there are many more instances of phones that withstand MUCH more abuse than cracking in your pocket. This isnt a consumer problem, this is a design flaw.

bsteppuhn

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site

Ive dropped mine, ive thrown mine (good reason) and no glass break yet

Posted via the Android Central App

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Breaking in your pocket is a terrible thing and shouldnt happen....but it does. Dropping it from any height can and will break the the phone....of coarse it can break any phone. It all depends on force, height, where it hit, etc.

But for samsung to be responsible for it breaking when you drop it is ludicrous. Don't get me wrong, I'm not on samsung's side but the level of responsibility lands on its owner. Like buying a new car. Hitting a pole backing up and denting the bumper isn't the manufacturers fault it dented. It's the owners.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site

Spontaneous breakage could be called a design flaw. Dropping it in a parking lot isn't, period.

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site

I bought a case for mine immediately. I knew that glass was fragile and planned accordingly. I'd doubt that Samsung will give any compensation for dropped phones.

Posted via the Android Central App from my S7 edge

fsfty

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

I was on another forum earlier and was reading all kinds of horror stories about how the screens on these phones are cracking at nothing. I wanted to share my experience in hopes of getting the word out before it happens to you or to discourage people from buying this piece of junk.

Two weeks after buying and treating this thing like a piece of Gold, I get out of my car, drop the phone about a foot from the ground and the screen is shattered. I had an S3 and I dropped that phone at least 100 times and its still as good as new. I think Samsung should stand behind their $800 product and give some customer support as Iphone would if they developed a defective product. This phone has issues and Samsung is NOT stepping up to the plate and backing it.

Please share you experiences with your phone as i would like to start a Class action lawsuit to force Samsung to fix their faulty product.
You dropped the phone and you want to sue Samsung? How about a little personal responsibility that's sorely lacking in society these days...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

As others said you won't be able to sue Samsung for dropping your phone and it breaking. If that were the case you could sue a car company for your car being damaged after you ran into a wall. It just doesn't make sense.

ded1945

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site

I always get a chuckle out of the cracking at nothing phrase. The glass cracks for a reason: drop, bend or strike, usually.

And the S7, nor any phone made of glass, is immune.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

Exactly. Come on... I know accidents happen and that's unfortunate. But if I drop my phone from ANY height and it cracks, that's not Samsung's fault, it's mine.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Will there ever be a good glass protective screen or is the curved edge just impossible to work with? I've seen some cases that entirely cover the curves. I'm clumsy so that it what I would need. Seldom go a month without dropping my old note 3 but not the slightest damage. Partially luck. Partially tougher (imo) phone in doubled layered case. I'm surprised I have never cracked a screen on any phone. It makes me think curved edges make screen more susceptible to cracking.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Will there ever be a good glass protective screen or is the curved edge just impossible to work with? I've seen some cases that entirely cover the curves. I'm clumsy so that it what I would need. Seldom go a month without dropping my old note 3 but not the slightest damage. Partially luck. Partially tougher (imo) phone in doubled layered case. I'm surprised I have never cracked a screen on any phone. It makes me think curved edges make screen more susceptible to cracking.

It is. It's a weak point since it's bent there. These phones aren't built for tons of drops and meant to be indestructible. Glass it glass. That doesn't change. If people are worried they should take precautions.. Especially if they know they're clumsy. I got a case and I'm not very clumsy but I'd rather a case than one time of being human and dropping it which casues it to shatter.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

It is. It's a weak point since it's bent there. These phones aren't built for tons of drops and meant to be indestructible. Glass it glass. That doesn't change.
I hope the era of flexible screens isn't after I'm too dead to enjoy it.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

The glass cracks for a reason: drop, bend or strike, usually.

You make a definitive statement, then qualify it. Glass under stress may indeed shatter "by itself", the windshields on late model Subarus are an excellent example. Subaru has taken ownership of a design flaw in the glass/installation that causes spontaneous cracks to occur in specific locations. The same could be true of a phone if the screen is under stress, either from a design flaw or installation caused by the case itself.

That being said, planning a class action suit is silly, to say the least.

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

When I first got my Sony Xperia z2 Ithe screen randomly broke in my pocket after about 2 weeks. I pulled it out my pocket and to my horror it looked like a spider Web. I was just lounging around at home. Don't know why it broke but I hope it doesn't happen to my new phone.

Posted via S7 edge 😍

ded1945

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site

The Subaru case was traced to a windshield glass heater that was causing a thermal stress and then cracking. Hence my point, glass seldom cracks for "nothing".

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site

I just dropped mine yesterday, onto the concrete floor in my shed. No cracks, or scratches. I have a Spigen TPU case on it, but that's it.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site

I had no tempered glass but thin plastic mee phone case the phone fell hard on concrete the cover cracked and a piece came off and it was lying on its screen and my wife walked over it...I thought I am sure my phone screen is cracked...
To my luck nothing happened still brand new ... 😊

Posted via my Awesome Lumia 950 , Beautiful S7 Edge Gold or Surface pro 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87