SCREEN Overlay...WTF?! Come On Google.....

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Could they make this setting any more CONVOLUTED??!!

So many times when i get this msg i will go into my Apps and remove permissions for all my apps that require this setting... One by one doesn't seem to work, and then when i am done, i will USUALLY get the app i am trying to use "work", but then when i exit a lot of my other apps start force closing... what the heck?!

Does ANYONE have a clear understanding of HOW EXACTLY this setting is supposed to work properly?

(Reason # 102,645 of why i have come to HATE Google
:-*)

Thanks!

BTC

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As in you don't want it to have the notification pop up? I know on my Pixel I can go into settings -> notifications and turn off notification for an app if I don't want it provide them. Works as it should.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
No, as in, "i go to install just about ANY app, and it can NOT proceed until i "somehow" uncheck just about EVERY app that uses screen overlay...

I'm guessing its just me?!

BTC

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
seriously?!

well i musta stepped into the twilight zone then cuz i get that message EVERY single phone i've had since marshmallow...and i've googled it and the info i have found says try this or that (basically UNchecking everything) and it will work till you try to install the NEXT app, but some apps will totally misbehave UNTIL you grant them access to screen overlay again, but THEN the app you installed starts getting flaky...It gives you ZERO info on which app its conflicting with....

It drives me crazy, basically i've given up and don't bother installing ANYTHING NEW, but yesterday when i read all the hype about how great Gboard was," i wanted to try it, and (of course) once again was greeted by "Screen Overlay" msg which led me to make this post!

screen overlay.png

BTC

tuscanybay

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I have this problem too.

Your best solution is to figure out exactly which app is causing it, and so you only need to turn off that one app when you run into screen overlay issue.

In my case it was the 'Swipe Home Button' app. Try to look for apps there are running actively in the background constantly; ie. those with 'Apps that can appear on top' turned on. Unfortunately it is a trial and error game.

Yes I hate Android too.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I know what you're talking about, but I've only seen it once when I had my note 5. I had not seen the message once I changed the settings that one time and I haven't seen it since I've had the s7 edge . I had to go in and turn off screen overlay for all the apps that use it and then turn them back on one by one . I can't remember which app it was causing the issue but once I uninstalled it everything was fine.

Last edited:

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I strongly suspect that it's a security feature. Screen overlay means the app has the permission to overlay a new screen over any arbitrary app, which most apps use to dim the screen by putting a semitransparent black screen or whatnot over the screen and pass all touches through.

However, a ne'er-do-well app could overlay a 100% transparent screen that passes through all touches but takes a copy of them along the way, and basically become a keylogger. So when Google asks you to enter your password into Android, it checks to see if any apps have requested screen overlay, and makes you turn those apps off to be sure your password isn't being sent to someone you do not want it sent to.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I strongly suspect that it's a security feature. Screen overlay means the app has the permission to overlay a new screen over any arbitrary app, which most apps use to dim the screen by putting a semitransparent black screen or whatnot over the screen and pass all touches through.

However, a ne'er-do-well app could overlay a 100% transparent screen that passes through all touches but takes a copy of them along the way, and basically become a keylogger. So when Google asks you to enter your password into Android, it checks to see if any apps have requested screen overlay, and makes you turn those apps off to be sure your password isn't being sent to someone you do not want it sent to.

Thanks for the replies, y'all...

in many cases (after checking, unchecking, rechecking) i HAVE also found the app, BUT its never the same app twice! it used to happen A LOT, so much so i just finally gave up trying to install new apps till yesterday when i thought i'd give Gboard from Google a whirl... i shoulda known wayyyyy better!

i just find it CRAZY that its so complicated... : (

Not disputing its, "usefulness or purpose" just really frustrated with the "process"... They could easily direct you to the offending application, or give you more info regarding the actual offense, but they don't. Like EVERYTHING Google does, ZERO explanation, they just want you to waste countless hours googling your little heart out trying to find solutions. I guess that's what keeps them thriving.

Its as if Google is the "Father" who installs "glass windows", and Android is the, "Son" who goes around at night throwing stones through the storefront glass windows so that in the morning y'all need a repair from his dad... grrrr!!

BTC

Last edited:

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

Just re-read this...It makes good sense what you are suggesting... However, how is someone expected to remember "which apps you unchecked" to prevent them from misbehaving ONCE you've installed the app that is requiring you to "fix screen overlay" issue?

Surely this "security feature" could be wayyyyy better implemented?! Or a
m i just missing something?!

We're not mind readers YET, Google....

BTC

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, y'all...

in many cases (after checking, unchecking, rechecking) i HAVE also found the app, BUT its never the same app twice! it used to happen A LOT, so much so i just finally gave up trying to install new apps till yesterday when i thought i'd give Gboard from Google a whirl... i shoulda known wayyyyy better!

i just find it CRAZY that its so complicated... : (

Not disputing its, "usefulness or purpose" just really frustrated with the "process"... They could easily direct you to the offending application, or give you more info regarding the actual offense, but they don't. Like EVERYTHING Google does, ZERO explanation, they just want you to waste countless hours googling your little heart out trying to find solutions. I guess that's what keeps them thriving.

Its as if Google is the "Father" who installs "glass windows", and Android is the, "Son" who goes around at night throwing stones through the storefront glass windows so that in the morning y'all need a repair from his dad... grrrr!!

BTC

Like tshirttan408, I have been getting this error since I installed Twighlight, which is an app that removes blue light at night to simulate night mode. When I get the message, I pause or stop Twighlight, switch back to the app that gave me the error, hit back once and try again , and it usually works. Very annoying, but that's what caused it for me.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Just re-read this...It makes good sense what you are suggesting... However, how is someone expected to remember "which apps you unchecked" to prevent them from misbehaving ONCE you've installed the app that is requiring you to "fix screen overlay" issue?

Surely this "security feature" could be wayyyyy better implemented?! Or a
m i just missing something?!

We're not mind readers YET, Google....

BTC

I can't argue against that - a "temporarily disable all screen overlays until I finish entering my password" would be a really neat idea.

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Also uninstall any security or anti virus apps, those seem to cause this error.

Also the floating head during phone calls can cause the error.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

This is a good thing.

louzer

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
The message and redirect to the settings page is a bug. What I figured out is that if you have any app that uses a screen overlay. You have to turn it's overlay functionality off before installing.

I have the Swipe Home Button app which allows me to assign actions to swipe gestures (obviously via a screen overlay).

When I'm installing an app and get the Overlay popup message, I hit the home button, start the Swipe Home Button app, go into Settings and disable the swipe functionality. Then I go back to the install. Tap OK which brings me to the settings page, tap the back button, and my install continues normally.

In my case, the app using the overlay was clear. It's going to be some app that uses a screen overlay that's going to cause this problem. It might not be clear in all cases though. What I find weird, however, is that Swipe Home Screen's swipe must be disabled, but Nova Launcher 's doesn't! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez