s7 Edge Battery Questions?

bedscenez

Aug 30, 2017
Visit site
Hi i would like to ask if losing 1% every 4-5 minutes of normal usage with Wifi on-Web Browsing-Messenger and Youtube running same time..All other features and options disabled is still normal or sign that i need battery replacement. Phone is 1 year already and Snapdragon variant.

Next is i calculate my battery usage and it goes like this

Screen 13%
Android System 9%
Android OS 7%
Youtube 6%
Device Idle 4%
VLC 2%
Beats Audio player 2%
Codecs 2%

computed each apps mah consumption and total
it at 1550mah and the battery left is 31%

Could this mean that my battery is already 80% of
its health and even at full charge it's not really using S7E 3600 capacity but rather only 2800 or something below.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Your calculation is wrong. If those stats you quote are from the battery consumption graph in settings, then screen did not use 13% of your battery. It ate up 13% of the total consumed. If you have 31% left, then your phone consumed 69% of battery. Screen used up 13% of 69, which computes to screen using up 8.97% of your battery. From those stats posted, those apps listed are using up 45% of 69, which is 31.09%. The other apps using up 38% of your battery is still unaccounted for.

bedscenez

Aug 30, 2017
Visit site
yeah there are still other apps running sir i just forgot to write them...i will post a screenshot tomorrow..Cause i computed a total of 1550mah consumed..so supposed to be there is still almost 1990mah left of the total 3600mah.

Last edited:

H8FKAndroid

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I have to jump in here. There is a massive misunderstanding in how Android 7's built-in battery usage reporting percentages work.

If your phone has 31% left, it used 69% so far.

If the built in battery reporting app says the screen used 13%, that doesn't mean 13% of 69%, nor does it mean, that the screen is consuming 13% of the battery. It's consuming MORE.

I don't know why, but the designers stupified the reporting, and now if your battery is at 31%, thus 69% having been used, and the screen is reported as 13%, this means that 13 of the 69% was used by the screen. not 13% of 69.

Because of this, the percentages go up the emptier the battery gets.

To calculate the screen's actual usage, you do this: 13 / 69 = 18.84, meaning the screen is using 18.84% of the battery. This is also the (approximate) usage it will show, if you let it get down to almost zero, or if you use a less stupid monitoring app, like Gsam Battery Monitor or System panel 2.

Both of them have to be given special access to the now hidden battery statistics through ADB, but it's very easy to do, and well worth it.

If you calculate the usage this way, you will get far less "unaccounted usage".

Unfortunately OP also suffers from the bug, where "Android System" consumes as much, if not more battery, than the Display itself!

In OP's case apparently 9 out of 69%, meaning 13% total battery consumption.

Not as bad as in my case (~30% or even up to 34%) but still absurd, as it should be almost dormant, as it is on an S6...

This is a widespread bug, and every SGS7E user should be complaining to Samsung about it, to get it fixed.

Last edited:

H8FKAndroid

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Yes, I was very confused by this at first, as I came from Android 4.4, where the battery details show app usage as percentage of the total, just like the apps I recommended.

But if you observe the battery as compulsively as I do, you notice that when the battery is at 96%, the screen usage percentage will be 2% and "Android System" as 1-2%, then both of these numbers go up, as the battery drops further, and other apps join in as they pass 1%.

Unfortunately on my SGS7E "Android System" (not the OS itself, but a collection of 82 apps / services with system privileges) will keep climbing until it reaches 30% or even more!

This is needlessly killing our batteries, which could last up to 50% longer, if only it wasn't for this bug, which Samsung tech support won't even admit to...

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Hmm. I don't know about a bad battery. My S7E is lasting longer than my Note 2 already even with bad 4G coverage and data always on.

H8FKAndroid

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
It's not a bad battery, I think the battery is great, it's just that "Android System" is keeping an almost constant wakelock on the CPU, due to some bug, thus draining the battery much faster than necessary.

Since you have the S7E, please share how long it lasts for you, how much of that is screen-on-time, and what the "Android System" usage percentage is in your case. (And at what remaining percentage)...

Thanks!

EDIT: I fear I will have to root my phone to pinpoint the issue (which service / package is responsible for the absurd consumption) and try to eliminate it, without losing too much of the phone's functionality.

Alternativelly, I think a downgrade to Android 6 would also solve the issue. I remember a review, that determined a 10% drop in battery life when the SGS7E was upgraded to Android 7. Although on my opinion, the issue is much worse than 10%.

Last edited:

bedscenez

Aug 30, 2017
Visit site
Yes tomorrow i will post a photo of my battery usage..Yes i suspect
that when i updated it to nougat abnormal battery drain occured. Like

1. If i charged my phone on fast charging enabled while the battery is still 40% above battery drains very fast like 1%-every 1 minute..
2. So i charged the phone now when it reaches 1% left on the battery with fast charge and i get normal discharge of 1% per 5 minutes of youtube,messenger,web browsing, listening to music.

Usually my SOT when i reach 31% is around 4 hours 30 minutes..
brightness set to 30%.

^
Agree with you on that Android System is processing too much
task and services that i dont know what are they the list is very long.

H8FKAndroid

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
My last reply, about the battery not being bad was to chanchan05, but I am also interested in your stats. Just take a screenshot.

Otherwise, I don't see a difference in discharge rate after normal or fast charging, but since fast charging forces 3-4A into the battery and makes it quite hot sometimes, I have it disabled by default, as I suspect it's not good for the battery in the long term. I only use it very rarely now, and only if the battery is not near to empty.

It is possible, that a combination of fast charging, and often fast charging at that, due to the absurd "Android System" battery drain has degraded your battery noticably in one year.

But if you want a more accurate idea of what is going on, consider installing Systempanel2 and giving it full access via Accessibility, Usage Data Access and the special permissions through ADB.

Then it would be much easier to compare usage and consumption.

P.S. I use Netguard no-root firewall, and I have all the Android System services blocked in it. But it still reports what internet addresses they were trying to access, and I must say, they are VERY odd for system processes!

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
My last reply, about the battery not being bad was to chanchan05, but I am also interested in your stats. Just take a screenshot.

Otherwise, I don't see a difference in discharge rate after normal or fast charging, but since fast charging forces 3-4A into the battery and makes it quite hot sometimes, I have it disabled by default, as I suspect it's not good for the battery in the long term. I only use it very rarely now, and only if the battery is not near to empty.

It is possible, that a combination of fast charging, and often fast charging at that, due to the absurd "Android System" battery drain has degraded your battery noticably in one year.

But if you want a more accurate idea of what is going on, consider installing Systempanel2 and giving it full access via Accessibility, Usage Data Access and the special permissions through ADB.

Then it would be much easier to compare usage and consumption.

P.S. I use Netguard no-root firewall, and I have all the Android System services blocked in it. But it still reports what internet addresses they were trying to access, and I must say, they are VERY odd for system processes!
Seems like I don't have your bug. Wake lock detector says that overnight, my phone was awake only for 12% of the time, with Tasker responsible for almost all of it.

H8FKAndroid

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Which wakelock detector are you using? I tried finding one, and I think it needs root? I would like to use the same one, so we can compare better...

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Which wakelock detector are you using? I tried finding one, and I think it needs root? I would like to use the same one, so we can compare better...
This one. It's activated via ADB commands.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...umapps.wakelockdetector.noroot&token=PkYpP_MX

Also I recall facing a similar issue on Nougat, where Android system was running amok on battery. It was just Google Backup having weird issues. Since I don't use it, I disabled it, and battery usage normalized.

bedscenez

Aug 30, 2017
Visit site
these are my battery usage for the moment

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170913-140921.jpg
    Screenshot_20170913-140921.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20170913-140936.jpg
    Screenshot_20170913-140936.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20170913-140949.jpg
    Screenshot_20170913-140949.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20170913-141000.jpg
    Screenshot_20170913-141000.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 9

H8FKAndroid

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
these are my battery usage for the moment

What I wouldn't give to have percentages like that on my phone... That's what these stats should look like on a normal phone!

Unfortunately, mine are disastrous.

In order to see something like in your pictures, I have to look at a Samsung Galaxy S6's Battery Stats.

However, your example shows me, what I want is not some unreasonable and impossible dream, but can actually be achieved.

Only how? I will continue at this, until I figure out the answer.

EDIT: Would you mind installing some apps to further monitor your battery, and give us more answers?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
What I wouldn't give to have percentages like that on my phone... That's what these stats should look like on a normal phone!

Unfortunately, mine are disastrous.

In order to see something like in your pictures, I have to look at a Samsung Galaxy S6's Battery Stats.

However, your example shows me, what I want is not some unreasonable and impossible dream, but can actually be achieved.

Only how? I will continue at this, until I figure out the answer.

EDIT: Would you mind installing some apps to further monitor your battery, and give us more answers?
Well he has his data off. For my case, data off and AOD off gives me a standby rating of 0.7-1.5% per hour on GSAM. AOD and Data each gives me an additional 1% per hour drainage on standby. So if I keep my data off, I can reach those numbers. But I like it on. Lol. Which is why I miss the days when apps like GreenPower worked.

bedscenez

Aug 30, 2017
Visit site
Yes i turned off my AOD since it's draining 1% of my battery per hour while on standby.
Still for me battery life is not good coming from Marshmallow it's like i miss another 1 hour of
SOT.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
i will post my total SOT once my phone reaches 5%..but as of now with 30% remaining i have 4 hours
of SOT.
No. Charge now. You should not ever let a lithium ion battery go down below 40%. At least not when you can help it. It creates more wear and tear for the battery internals. Regularly depleting it ti below 5% actually runs the risk of killing it.