Which phone to get - S7 or G5?

WhiT3Kr0w

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Hard choice. And although I've never been a fan of the Galaxy series after my S2 I have to admit the S7 looks pretty amazing. Just need to play a bit with touchwiz to make up my mind,

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Since I actually like the design of the G5, both phones are pretty evenly matched for me.

Which phone is more likely to get its bootloader unlocked and root? Which one will have more dev support? That's the phone that I'll go for.

Thegreatone3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I much prefer the design of the S7/S7 Edge. Also points for what appears to be a better camera, bigger battery, water proofing, and Samsung Pay.

I wish it retained the native full resolution 16:9 photos and the G5's swappable battery is a nice plus. Also, it looks like the G5 gets Quick Charge 3.0 while the S7 stays at 2.0.

jerrycau123

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I am a note 5 user.Both phones look amazing but I will try the Edge simply due to the size factory. The LG 5 looks interesting, but after trying the LG V10, NO THANKS! ..

Posted via the Android Central App

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I ordered the Edge today at work. I couldn't help myself either and ordered a replacement for my Note 5 as well. So two S7 Edges. Different colors. :) Going to be interesting carrying both.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
After owning a Nexus N4, LG G2 and currently LG G3... now that I've seen both phones I'm really leaning towards the S7.

Honestly they seem to be pretty evenly matched and probably cant go wrong with each so it comes down to what's important to you and because it's so evenly matched for me silly as it may sound its the look of the S7 thats pushed it for me. Even though very similar, last years S6 didnt do anything for me but the refined curves in metal and glass and smoothening of the bumps in camera and home button, really makes the phone look as nice.

I like LG went metal and it's not ugly but I'm not feeling the shape around the camera and the power button.... the pics make it kinda looks too feminine like a womans makeup compact lol. Just like S6 first year metal, I'm guessing LG will improve next year.

I also like the size of the S7. I Loved my G2 and IMO I felt the screen size was perfect. I don't like the big screen trend and G3 was my limit and didnt like the G4 getting bigger. At that size I might as well consider the S7e with bigger battery.

If it didn't have a microsd card it definitely would have been a deal breaker because it has been super convenient in the G3. Not having a removeable battery irks me a little but hoping the reviews show a day and a half with the 3000mah battery. the G3 already had a 3000 and been good but I actually had a spare and found it useful when vacationing and your using google maps all day draining the battery and just a lifesaver having a spare thats thin to store in pocket to pop in. but water resistance and wireless charging and the slight nod to the S7 camera will kinda add a ++ to the battery -.

I wanted to try an AMOLED screen too this time. The G3 QHD is a super nice screen but the colors pop out more IMO in the AMOLED when I see other peoples galaxys so I wanna try.

benmoran

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
Can't go wrong with getting the S7. Totally skipped the S4-S6 and went for an Zenfone 2 but after seeing all the improvements from the S3 to the S7, can't help but just have the desire to dive right into getting one. Quality and overall features is just awesome for a Samsung device.

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I am currently leaning towards the G5, even though it still looks like a prototype. However, the S7 has caught my eye as well, but still don't like the fact that the battery is no longer removable.

Of course, I am going to wait & see what Google announces for the next Nexus device at Google I/O before deciding one way or another.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
A little off topic but it would seem that Samsung does the same thing with Galaxy phones that Microsoft does with its operating system. Every other one is a home run. the ones in between are flawed.

S1/S2: I really cant comment. No personal experience

S3: arguably the best galaxy phone release. It just blew everything else away

S4: Good phone but buggy and short lived

S5: Great battery and performance. Only problem is latest Verizon software

S6: So close to the premium phone they set out for but battery is and always will be a deal breaker in a phone.

S7: (speculation here) Fix battery issues, bring back SD cards. I have high expectations for this phone.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am currently leaning towards the G5, even though it still looks like a prototype. However, the S7 has caught my eye as well, but still don't like the fact that the battery is no longer removable.

Of course, I am going to wait & see what Google announces for the next Nexus device at Google I/O before deciding one way or another.

Do you realize Nexus doesn't have removable battery and micro sd slot? And Google wont' announce next Nexus phone in google I/O, that will be in October.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I know that, but I have had a Nexus phone, and I liked having stock Android.

I also had a Nexus and liked stock. Ordered a S7 Edge and will immediately go to Themes and select Material Design, then offload the Google icons, then download and install Google Now Launcher. Quickest and easiest way to have almost stock android.

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Odds are if you ask in the S7 forum, most will say the S7. If you ask in the G5 forum, most will say the G5. Wait until they are both out and check them out in the store, read reviews, etc..., that is my suggestion.

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I also had a Nexus and liked stock. Ordered a S7 Edge and will immediately go to Themes and select Material Design, then offload the Google icons, then download and install Google Now Launcher. Quickest and easiest way to have almost stock android.

It would be amazing if a company who was contracted to make a new Nexus phone stuck it to Google and put in a removable battery, as well as utilising all the latest tech -- to a certain extent -- & microSD slot, making it a truly premium phone!