S7 and Gear VR Overheating?

BassSoLow

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone!

So, I got my new S7 and a free Gear VR. I finally had a chance to check it all out and it is pretty awesome. However, the S7 itself got extremely hot. I mean, wicked HOT! A message even flashed on the VR Screen that the VR had to cool down for optimal performance.

Just wondering if this is a common issue with the VR or or if this is the phone itself? I haven't noticed the phone heating up over the past few days since I have had it, but I also have an Otterbox Symetry case on it, so it's hard to feel any heat through the thickness of the case.

Any info and suggestions is welcome! Thanks in advance!

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I too just tried out the VR, and could feel the heat coming from the phone. Don't know if it overheated to the point of generating a message though.

Posted via the Android Central App

azhummer

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
had my s7 a few days now.. last night i used the turbo charger for an hour, unplugged, then used GearVR for about 30min straight and got the overheating message.. i think avoidance of the turbo charger just prior to VR use might eliminate this.. my phone also tends to get quite hot just through heavy youtube/web use alone (not on charger).. going to keep an eye on temps from GSam from now on.. wondering if I have a unusually hot S7..

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
My Exynos-powered Galaxy S7 gets quite hot in VR as well. Granted, I was in vTime for about an hour or so and didn't get the overheating warning, but I think I would have fairly soon based on how hot the phone was.

Scutley

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone!

So, I got my new S7 and a free Gear VR. I finally had a chance to check it all out and it is pretty awesome. However, the S7 itself got extremely hot. I mean, wicked HOT! A message even flashed on the VR Screen that the VR had to cool down for optimal performance.

Just wondering if this is a common issue with the VR or or if this is the phone itself? I haven't noticed the phone heating up over the past few days since I have had it, but I also have an Otterbox Symetry case on it, so it's hard to feel any heat through the thickness of the case.

This happened on my Galaxy S6 edge phone. It hasn't on my S7 Edge.

Before you use it. Close all of your apps, make your phone have little resources as possible. Turn off everything and only turn on what you need (Turn on WiFi if you need to, and Bluetooth if connecting something to Bluetooth if not turn it off.) Turn on the do not disturb on the phone and on the Gear VR.

I did this when I had the Galaxy S6 and it worked better, my S7 Edge however (I think it's because of a bigger battery) has had no issues of overheating though even with the Gear VR cover on. It gets a little hot, but I'm not one of those people who get freaked out and paranoid when it gets a little hot. I'm smart and if a message pop up and say it's getting to hot. Then I don't use the phone for a few minutes and wait until it cools down. I wish other people were smart .

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Qualcomm still hasn't gotten their heat problems in order. Samsung should have stuck with their Exynos chip across the board and used a Qualcomm modem in tandem for the CDMA carriers.

Verizon and Sprint are the real reasons why the US S7 ships with the 820. Cheaper that way because the CDMA modem is included in the SoC and works for all 4 carriers. Qualcomm truly sucks. My Note 5 barely ever gets warm

This is not the issue. I was having the same message pop up on my S6 Edge Plus, which uses the exynos processor.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Would keeping the black cover off help? Im still waiting on my free vr, but maybe not using the phone cover will help out some.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

Kelt67

Mar 7, 2016
Visit site
my S6 Edge would overheat using the Gear VR but my S7 hasn't once. I don't even take any power-saving precautions (shutting down apps, wi-fi etc) but also don't use it while it's plugged into the charger. I leave the cover off unless I'm in a particularly well-lit room and it's a proving to be a distraction.

ducky69247

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I've tried airplane mode, closing all apps, even downloaded a task manager to keep things from running in the background and my S7 still overheats in VR after about 10 minutes. Kind of pointless only being able to wear it for 10 minutes...

GS5TR

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Don't have any probs with any kind of overheating while using the gear vr of samsung, offcourse your s7 will get a little bit warm, but thats just normal.

pjniez

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I used the VR headset the first time this past Saturday with my S7. The S7 got hot. But not hot enough to cause any issues or error messages.

killspy6

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ever since I downloaded the gear vr and oculus app my s7 edge gets really really hot. I turned off my phone and let it cool. Charged it fully, it stayed cool. When i turned it back on, it got really hot quickly and battery was draining really fast. The phone was extremely sluggish too. I Uninstalled both apps, now my phone is moderately hot and no apps are opened. I even tried to wipe cache partition. I never had any problems like this getting the phone from day 1. Anyone found the cause or solution?

Update : I'm at 88% and my phone is telling me I have 4hrs left. This is not normal!

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Just got my VR promotion last night and I too noticed that the phone gets hot with use.... But it's okay, since I'm already over the VR; nothing extraordinary there....

climbamtn

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone!

Usedo to watch Netflix for hours now I get 30-40 min before overheat warning while using gear vr & s7.tmoble says not a warranty issue with phone as only warning is while using gear vr.I turned off all background apps & done all I can find on google.reset to factory still an issue.unsure if installing fan or just upgrading to edge is my next step.as a truck driver gear vr is godsend for portable entertainment as I can't power a big screen nor have a place to put it.easier than a projector but this overheating can't continue.odd part is a month ago I could watch 5hrs no issue, today 30minutes after factory reset.pretty sure it's phone not running software,will swap gear vr just to verify issue

GhostyJH

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

This is my first post, just got my s7 today to replace my s6 edge that overheated so much the back came off, fortunately i was only watching youtube at the time so could cool it down using the a/c in my car, got the s7 as a free replacement handset.

As for vr usage, my s6 egde would actuslly shut down it got that hot while using my gear vr (playing minecraft) using a bluetooth controller and wifi everything else off, i was led to believe the overheating was an s6 issue and the s7 was fine, ok it will get warm due to processor usage.

How big an issue is this as it seems samsung have released a prooduct not fit for whst its intended.

Walter White7

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
there are a few tricks.

keep in mind the cell phone was meant to be a cell phone. all the add ons are to keepup with society. kind of like taking the fat girl home from the bar.

keep a fan near your face. the phone will get hot, especially the waterproof ones.. less ventillation..

run an app killer of some kind. most androids already have this...

do not run oculus after charging phone, shut it down and let it cool for a bit, start it and run oculus.

Turn ur oculus brightness down in the "hold back button" screen settings!!! It helps a lot

Let things load before going occulus crossair crazy

Dont look around constantly, just enjoy it, dont do 360s like on a merry go round.

I have a s7 edge, i did all of these and i ran my phone dead without it overheating.

Also download what u can in videos and apps etc, less internet usage less strain on the phone.

Enjoy :)

kwilli24

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
I too just tried out the VR, and could feel the heat coming from the phone. Don't know if it overheated to the point of generating a message though.

Just returned my VR to store and informed Best Buy's Samsung rep why I did so. After only 7-10 minutes of usage, a Samsung Galaxy 7 phone "Overheating -error" message pops ups on the VR screen. This occurs every time i use the VR. Too onerous, so i returned the VR for my money back.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Just returned my VR to store and informed Best Buy's Samsung rep why I did so. After only 7-10 minutes of usage, a Samsung Galaxy 7 phone "Overheating -error" message pops ups on the VR screen. This occurs every time i use the VR. Too onerous, so i returned the VR for my money back.
VR uses all the phones resources. Thus the heat buildup.
I help the problem by plugging the charger into the headset. I bought a 3m USB extension cable for it.