Gmail Notifications Don't Clear After Read Email

JCGS7

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site
Since Nougat, Gmail notifications don't immediately clear after I read the email. Sometimes they seem to clear after some time, but pre-Nougat they cleared immediately. Very annoying because when they don't clear, the next time I check they appear to be new notifications. Any help? (Tried wiping the cache partition, still happens.)

The hidden System UI Tuner (https://www.businessinsider.com/android-hidden-features-system-ui-tuner-2017-2/) seems like it might help fix this but I can't seem to get it turned on -- anyone know how to do that? (T-Mobile, if that matters.)

Similar problem (re texts) posted here:
Why does my text notification stay in the status bar even after I have read the text? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

campingwagon

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
I have the same problem.

When I read the email, the notification doesn't go away.
But it changes to "1 new message" and I have to read the mail a second time before the notification disappear.
It also disappears if i go to the inbox after reading the mail.

Not the worlds biggest problem, but it is annoying.
Happend since i downloaded Android 7.1.

Mike Urbanski

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Same since upgrading to 7.0 on my GS7. To summarize, opening an email from the notification bar doesn't make the notification go away. To make it go away, I can push "back" and go to the inbox, which would clear any notifications anyways (say I have 5 unread and I open the gmail app directly, it will clear the notification). Or, tapping the notification again makes it go away.

However, if I open the notification and then go do anything else besides push back or re-tap the notification (open another app from the notification, go to home screen, or use the app switcher) - aka, do normal behavipr - it stays there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress