Galaxy S7 battery issue

Bes2016

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello, the last few days I've been having a sudden crazy battery drain... I cleared the cache, then performed a factory reset and the battery was still draining - around 1.5% per minute with the screen on. Around 1% every 3-4 minutes with the screen off. I read an article about Safe Mode.. and before I got into Safe Mode I had 23% battery... when I got into Safe Mode.. it showed me 62%. I got back into "normal" mode and it still showed 62... now it's currently at 60%. Thought this is weird.. any idea what's going on?

dbollman423

May 17, 2017
Visit site
i am by no means a Samsung expert (I just migrated from a BlackBerry Z30 a month ago) but isn't there a battery monitor that tells you what is consuming power? it might just say Android OS, but it is worth checking out.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Me too, just in the past week. I usually go to bed with 30-35% remaining, lately I'm almost at 0 and yesterday I ran out around 8:00pm. Android System is at the top of the list, nothing else jumps out at me.

This is just the thing that would push me away from Android.

Bes2016

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
No, nothing was consuming it out of the order actually. It seems to be a bad calibration problem... it's working normal after I got into Safe Mode. I let it discharge and turn off by itself, then charged it 100% while off and then turned it on.

CWinkler

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
I have had similar issues on different S7's (on my 2nd replacement from US Cellular, and it's going back as soon as the previous one is processed because of screen sensitivity issues and inability to palm swipe for screenshot). GSam is a highly recommended battery monitor (but not a big power sucker) that will give you more detailed information than the built in battery monitor. It's available through the Play Store. My first phone not only tanked with battery, but got very hot whenever that happened. This started about 4-1/2 months after I got the phone. Still don't understand that. After the Note 7 issues, didn't want to mess with a phone that seemed to be prone to overheating.

I have found, after going through new activations and installations / updates of built in apps and restoring my own apps, that it takes several days for the system to get accustomed to your usage patterns and then things will settle in. Others have suggested turning off WiFi and Mobile Data overnight, or going into Airplane mode. I've refused to do this, as I have aging parents and you never know when someone might need to get in touch. I also don't feel like I should have to do something with this phone that I've never had to do with any other phones I've had (2 previous Motorolas).

If you install GSam, you'll also need to enable Developer options and USB debugging and connect to your computer to install permissions for the app to provide more detailed data. You'll be able to see your phone signal strength (one of my issues) as well as battery temperature, and apps that are consuming your battery. Might help with analysis. While it might be apps, I've had issues with only 2 apps installed (LastPass and GSam). So sometimes it is the phone and your system.

Good luck troubleshooting! There are lots of helpful folks on this forum, so hopefully they'll also reply.

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Just got my G7 back today. Battery suddenly swelled causing whole left side of display to separate from the body. 7 days past warranty but Samsung USA made good and fixed no cost. Took about 1.5 week

CWinkler

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Just got my G7 back today. Battery suddenly swelled causing whole left side of display to separate from the body. 7 days past warranty but Samsung USA made good and fixed no cost. Took about 1.5 week

That's scary! Was it in a case when you noticed it? I've had issues with my phone getting hot in the past, and wondered about having the case on it ... but don't want to not have the phone protected. Did your phone also get hot when the battery swelled? Could you attribute it to anything? Given Samsung made good on it, I'm assuming they determined it was their hardware problem. Good luck with the replacement.