Samsung Galaxy S8 or LG G6?

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm holding on to my S7 until the next release. Good luck with a tempered glass screen protector with that curved junk. Curved phones look dorky in cases also. Big Pass, but if I had to I'd go G6.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I think they are both top phones. The reason I lean towards Samsung mostly now is because most newer phones are hard ( maybe impossible ) to root. With Package Disabler Pro from Samsung I can freeze whatever I want and still have the ability to use Samsung Pay. Also my warranty stays intact

fsfty

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
My one and only experience with LG was a poor one with the G3. GPS never locked on, and couldn't stream in admittedly poor reception areas like I now can with my S7 Edge. Friends who had the G3 also had both these issues. Never again, LG.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I got the G6. The dual cameras are amazing! I love the wide angle lens. I don't know why more phones don't come with a wide angle camera.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The results of the G6 camera are great. The usability is the problem. Lots of complaints about slow focus and picture taking. Those flowers look nice. That shot of your dog? Probably looks better taken with the S8 or even S7 Edge. Samsung wins in low light as well.

But there's this one thing where the S8 absolutely destroys the G6 -- they're the same exact height, but the S8 is almost 4mm narrower than the G6. Here's the kicker -- the S8 screen is actually bigger. Bigger screen and easier one handed use? This is no contest. And if you think that 4mm doesn't sound that significant, the difference in width between the S7 (not Edge) and the Note 7 was... 4mm.

Large Hadron

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
But there's this one thing where the S8 absolutely destroys the G6 -- they're the same exact height, but the S8 is almost 4mm narrower than the G6. Here's the kicker -- the S8 screen is actually bigger.
It depends what you mean by bigger: the areas of a 5.8" diagonal display with a 18.5:9 aspect ratio and a 5.7" display with a 2:1 aspect ratio are actually almost identical (0.03% different, which since the display dimensions aren't given to anything like that precision is meaningless).

If you laid both displays flat the 5.7" 2:1 display would actually be 0.5% wider than the 5.8" 18.5:9 (and the S8's display correspondingly slightly longer than the G6's). The difference in widths of the devices is almost entirely due to Samsung curving the edges of the display.

BTW don't get me wrong, the 4mm difference in width is a big selling point for me. But the larger diagonal length is due to the different shapes of the 2 displays, and doesn't really mean that the S8's display is larger.

washuai

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
All the usual suspects make S8 cases, including slim and clear. I imagine S7 edge and note 7 owners might have some tips on how delicate the curved edges have been.
Let's face it all the real drop cases rated for like six feet are not super slim (seidio dilex vs thin surface, otter box defender vs thinner commuter, lifeproof). If what I want is basically a clear shell that only really scratch protects and holds a shatter together, basically just skin the S8 in ghost armor and enjoy a phone in invisible clothes. Make sure you keep your accident protection, while it costs more.
In other words, I don't think cases are a reason to pick a G6, even though I don't like the curved screen.
It'll be interesting to see more phones like the drop proof moto.