Held one today. Finger print reader worse than feared.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: FPS Placement... Final note.

I have no idea how the FPS sensor placement passed focus groups, but it's in a very terrible place. It should be underneath the camera.

Of course it's terrible, but it was not a design choice. It was a workaround. Samsung took a calculated risk that the below-the-screen sensor would be ready. Taking risks such as that is often necessary in designing complex systems that push the envelope. The below-the-screen sensor wasn't ready and there wasn't time to re-engineer the phone to put the sensor in a better place. So they were stuck with putting it where it is or delaying the phone to re-engineer it.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

Of course it's terrible, but it was not a design choice. It was a workaround. Samsung took a calculated risk that the below-the-screen sensor would be ready. Taking risks such as that is often necessary in designing complex systems that push the envelope. The below-the-screen sensor wasn't ready and there wasn't time to re-engineer the phone to put the sensor in a better place. So they were stuck with putting it where it is or delaying the phone to re-engineer it.

Sounds like a terrible excuse to me.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

This shouldn't be an issue, though. YOU may be fine with the placement of the FPS next to the camera, but others aren't fine with it. I think it's terrible and a terrible fix for that is software that says the camera lens is dirty. That's unacceptable, IMO. I have no idea how the FPS sensor placement passed focus groups, but it's in a very terrible place. It should be underneath the camera.

You have plenty of other options. Any decision made will please some and upset some. A month from now this will not be a big deal.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

I'm glad the thing isn't on the back anymore. I'm not any happier about a damn notification every time I try to increase my headphone volume either.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

They had choices. They chose poorly.
Please all wise one tell us... After the phone was fully designed, where were they supposed to put the FPS after it was determined the embedded one wouldn't be ready? Redesign the entire phone and delay it by months?

No, the answer was to remove the wide angle camera and drop it in that hole.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

Please all wise one tell us... After the phone was fully designed, where were they supposed to put the FPS after it was determined the embedded one wouldn't be ready? Redesign the entire phone and delay it by months?

No, the answer was to remove the wide angle camera and drop it in that hole.

My opinion is that it's in a terrible position and you all act all defensive. Look, it's my right to have an opinion on this, and after playing around with the S8s at Verizon and Best Buy, I think the FPS is in a terrible position. I don't have to agree with any of you about this. The design was a poor design and there's going to be a ton of messy cameras out there because of the terrible FPS placement. And just because "Samsung ran out of time" as an excuse doesn't make it right.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

My opinion is that it's in a terrible position and you all act all defensive. Look, it's my right to have an opinion on this, and after playing around with the S8s at Verizon and Best Buy, I think the FPS is in a terrible position. I don't have to agree with any of you about this. The design was a poor design and there's going to be a ton of messy cameras out there because of the terrible FPS placement. And just because "Samsung ran out of time" as an excuse doesn't make it right.

Messy cameras? You've been warned by Samsung to clean your lens. If you don't then you may have a messy lens.

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

IF that were the case then it is damn fools whom prefee an intrusive "on the grid" Fingerprint Scanner in lieu of Wide Angle Dual-Lens Camera. Absolute idiocracy!

Of course Sam-Sun(G) give YOU, 'The People' what they want. They are considerate like that. I only wish I had gotten the memo so I could have voted Camera.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

I agree it is in a bad spot.... Just not with the fact that they had many choices. They would have put it in a better place of they could have.... IMO

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

You stated 'They had choices'. That's not an opinion. So don't rant about how you are stating an opinion when you aren't.

Back up your statement. What choices did they have?

I'll be waiting with an utter lack of anticipation.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

You stated 'They had choices'. That's not an opinion. So don't rant about how you are stating an opinion when you aren't.

Back up your statement. What choices did they have?

Where's your proof that they didn't have a choice?

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

Messy cameras? You've been warned by Samsung to clean your lens. If you don't then you may have a messy lens.

If a camera has to have warnings because the people will be reaching across it to unlock their phones and may smudge their camera lens, that is a fatal design flaw.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

If a camera has to have warnings because the people will be reaching across it to unlock their phones and may smudge their camera lens, that is a fatal design flaw.
It's gonna be such a fatal flaw they will sell tens of millions of devices.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

Lol. Based on some of your political comments I'm not surprised that you lack originality in your posts.

There is no credible evidence anywhere that Samsung didn't have a choice in where to place the fingerprint sensor. It's all speculation and conjecture.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

It's gonna be such a fatal flaw they will sell tens of millions of devices.

Sure, they'll sell millions of devices, but it still doesn't mean the FPS location isn't in a terrible place.

McDonald's sells billions of hamburgers every year but that doesn't mean they have good tasting hamburgers.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

This shouldn't be an issue, though. YOU may be fine with the placement of the FPS next to the camera, but others aren't fine with it. I think it's terrible and a terrible fix for that is software that says the camera lens is dirty. That's unacceptable, IMO. I have no idea how the FPS sensor placement passed focus groups, but it's in a very terrible place. It should be underneath the camera.

Um...you do realize that the lens on every camera regardless of device gets smudged and dirty. The FPS position on the S8/S8+ isn't going to make it worse. Think about the environment the phone is in. I wish my Canon EOS 6D had software to tell me my lens is dirty. That's actually a nifty feature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non