Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I left the S7E to the S8+
As well my OL.
All I can say is Wow,
What a difference,
A lot faster phone.
Got a storage card for it.
Has to be the fastest phone i have ever had.

If you check.
The S8+ has a bigger battery than the Note 8.
Although the Note 8 does a lot of different things.

Both are great phones.
When I got the S8+ (preordered when it was new) I came from the 7 edge too. Loved the S8+. Only reason I went to the Note 8 after was because I've always been a Note person. Son is thoroughly enjoying my S8+ now

iHackPro

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Three weeks into owning my S8 coming from an iPhone 7, and wow. Android and TouchWiz/Samsung Experience seem so much more refined from my Nexus 6/Galaxy S4/Galaxy S3 days. I don't miss my iPhone at all right now.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Three weeks into owning my S8 coming from an iPhone 7, and wow. Android and TouchWiz/Samsung Experience seem so much more refined from my Nexus 6/Galaxy S4/Galaxy S3 days. I don't miss my iPhone at all right now.
That's a lot to say coming from an IPhone user So many have issues switching from one or the other. Glad you're enjoying it. Samsung's done a great job with the S8 series and Note 8 too.

Pinhead117

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I've had the S8 Plus now about 2 months and I'm already tired of the phone. Just ordered the Pixel 2 XL and going to give the S8 + to my Son. It's boring and I can't stand the curved screen.

wxboss

May 8, 2011
Visit site
That's great to hear. I got my S8 a week ago and while I've always been an Android user, this is the first time I've ever owned a flagship like the S8.

It is definitely a great experience.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I have an unlocked Galaxy S8. It is a great phone for part time horizontal use such as at work or while sitting at desk but for use while laying it bed or vertically, it is flawed as have to hold from bottom of phone which makes the top of phone difficult to reach one handed. It is also extremely uncomfortable holding tightly. The Bixby button is annoying as well as fingerprint scanner too. The curved screen makes it less functional and more breakable.

I would prefer wider screen and shorter to mimic the natural movement of the thumb.

Plus 1.

18:9 and curved screen are stupid gimmicks that will go away. It looks like they are just looking for new stupid stuff to add to differentiate from older models.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I was waiting for the Note 8, to replace my Note 4, but then decided to buy the S8+. Here is why:
I never used the S pen anyway.
The S8+ is plenty fast.
S8+ is big enough.
Seems to have enough memory.
S8+ is so very nice.
Much less expensive than the Note 8 projected price.

So far, I am very happy with the S8+.

I also went from Note 4 to S8+

It's much faster, more responsive. Note 4 was just slow. 3 times as far according to benchmarks.

I originally wanted to get the Note 8 but it didn't seem like it was worth it.

I got the Best Buy special 20/month for 2 years and Verizon unlimited plan, which I had anyway. Not a bad deal I think.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
One of the huge advantages of S8+ and IMO, the single reason why it's worth upgrading to it, is the new USB charger. it's symmetrical. the old style where you had to align it just right drove me nuts.

This one is a huge advantage. All devices should have it.
I got several cables on sale that are most durable. However. I don't use the fast charger that came with it. I use a regular charger. I don't to hit the battery with an Amp or 2 to "quick-charge".

I don't care for fast charging at all to be honest. It's a gimmick.

I would rather slowly charge over 8 hours.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I went from the 7edge to the s8+ huge upgrade. I didn't have many quirks with the 8+, certainly nothing like the 7 edge.

Have the Note 8 now and son is enjoying my S8+. I think Samsung did a break through job on the S8+ and the Note 8 has been a great success as well. I absolutely love it. You can't go wrong with either.

CConn882

Oct 8, 2017
Visit site
"I don't care for fast charging at all to be honest. It's a gimmick.

I would rather slowly charge over 8 hours."

Why on Earth would you rather charge over 8 hours? That seems like it'd be nothing but inconvenient to me.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Fast charging has been around for years but only recently has it been imposed upon the user base.
Basically you hit the battery with 2 Amps and charge it in 40 minutes versus 200 mAh

Why would you want 200mAh versus 2 Amps? because it prolongs the battery life. The lower the Amps the gentler the charging will be. I would not want to do fast charging unless in an emergency.
I disabled the fast charging option. Though still not sure what the actual rate is they pump into it.

denith

Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
I just returned my s8 last nite to Best Buy after 4 days. Strangely as much as I love my iPhone 6s, I just love how basic and simple and intuitive iOS is. I've read some posts here along with two friends who have Androids on how they like the customization of Droid, but for me I find Oreo confusing as heck. Like why do I have two text messaging apps? Why did I need to download Gboard just so auto correct would work while texting (no idea why the Samsung board wouldn't auto correct, and I always turn off predictive text since its annoying on my screen space). What the heck is Bixby?!?! I don't talk to my phone ever, not even Siri so I just didn't get that, it seems android wants you to talk to your phone instead of type (and I'm a fast typer and misspell alot but I trust the message app to correct most words and stock Samsung keyboard doesn't).

I was expecting the phone to just work out of the box, without the NEED for third party apps (which I didn't know I would require some) from the play store which all include some form of advertising I mean even the NHL app had an add in it, like really?!?

But I do miss the form factor, I loved the size of the phone, the picture quality especially and the home bar disappears oh and the sound. Even tho it's not stereo it's still way louder than my 6s.

Of course, the fingerprint scan is in the most stupid place, so I resigned myself to just use a pincode to unlock my phone which I've used for years with iOS (day one iphone user here) so okay small step backwards imo with Samsung but meh I can deal with it.

One of my biggest pet peaves is the stupid looking clock on the lock screen, you know with two numbers on top of each other that doesn't even look like a clock. I asked my android friends and only one said I had to choose a theme to change it, but in my mind that should be an option in the settings menu to change the look (apparently my common sense is different than android's). And even the Best Buy employee I bought the phone from didn't know how to change it outside of a "theme" which there are THOUSANDS of it seems.

Idk, I'm still thinking getting it again and just FORCING myself to deal with it all because of the size and visuals I just want it to work the simplistic way like iOS is. If only the iPhone 8 or X was like the S8 with iOS i'd be in cell phone heaven.

As long as I can do email, browse the web (facebook/twitter/twitch/etc) text, etc but WITHOUT advertisements in legit apps. I mean I couldn't even login to my NHL.tv account using the official NHL app because of the stupid advertisement. I did try one of the iOS add-ons and it was the only one I found I liked however you couldn't move apps around, so that was a no go. And a separate app for voicemail really?!? (not to mention Verizon charging for visual text when iPhone gets it for free)

Maybe someone can explain why google allows apps to have advertisements or for them to install games along with the apps? I just don't get that line of thinking. I mean not like the app store doesn't have ads in apps but not in official apps like the NHL one (it's only sport I follow so idk about NFL or NBA,etc apps but I assume they all do because they can).

I just don't need all the bells and whistles android phones come with, I mean I honestly still don't know what a "widget" is, I've heard the term a couple times with my droid friends but it still doesn't make sense to me.

I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I'm not the dullest either.

And the tutorials on youtube (at least the ones I've watched) didn't really help unfortunately :(

I know I'm sounding like a troll, but honestly I'm not. I guess its more to vent, since it seems alot of users here have both S8 or android of some kind and an iphone. Maybe I can get some advice or help in making the s8 more in form and feel to an iphone.

i don't know, i'm so conflicted especially since this was going to be my xmas present to myself

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I just returned my s8 last nite to Best Buy after 4 days. Strangely as much as I love my iPhone 6s, I just love how basic and simple and intuitive iOS is. I've read some posts here along with two friends who have Androids on how they like the customization of Droid, but for me I find Oreo confusing as heck. Like why do I have two text messaging apps? Why did I need to download Gboard just so auto correct would work while texting (no idea why the Samsung board wouldn't auto correct, and I always turn off predictive text since its annoying on my screen space). What the heck is Bixby?!?! I don't talk to my phone ever, not even Siri so I just didn't get that, it seems android wants you to talk to your phone instead of type (and I'm a fast typer and misspell alot but I trust the message app to correct most words and stock Samsung keyboard doesn't).

I was expecting the phone to just work out of the box, without the NEED for third party apps (which I didn't know I would require some) from the play store which all include some form of advertising I mean even the NHL app had an add in it, like really?!?

But I do miss the form factor, I loved the size of the phone, the picture quality especially and the home bar disappears oh and the sound. Even tho it's not stereo it's still way louder than my 6s.

Of course, the fingerprint scan is in the most stupid place, so I resigned myself to just use a pincode to unlock my phone which I've used for years with iOS (day one iphone user here) so okay small step backwards imo with Samsung but meh I can deal with it.

One of my biggest pet peaves is the stupid looking clock on the lock screen, you know with two numbers on top of each other that doesn't even look like a clock. I asked my android friends and only one said I had to choose a theme to change it, but in my mind that should be an option in the settings menu to change the look (apparently my common sense is different than android's). And even the Best Buy employee I bought the phone from didn't know how to change it outside of a "theme" which there are THOUSANDS of it seems.

Idk, I'm still thinking getting it again and just FORCING myself to deal with it all because of the size and visuals I just want it to work the simplistic way like iOS is. If only the iPhone 8 or X was like the S8 with iOS i'd be in cell phone heaven.

As long as I can do email, browse the web (facebook/twitter/twitch/etc) text, etc but WITHOUT advertisements in legit apps. I mean I couldn't even login to my NHL.tv account using the official NHL app because of the stupid advertisement. I did try one of the iOS add-ons and it was the only one I found I liked however you couldn't move apps around, so that was a no go. And a separate app for voicemail really?!? (not to mention Verizon charging for visual text when iPhone gets it for free)

Maybe someone can explain why google allows apps to have advertisements or for them to install games along with the apps? I just don't get that line of thinking. I mean not like the app store doesn't have ads in apps but not in official apps like the NHL one (it's only sport I follow so idk about NFL or NBA,etc apps but I assume they all do because they can).

I just don't need all the bells and whistles android phones come with, I mean I honestly still don't know what a "widget" is, I've heard the term a couple times with my droid friends but it still doesn't make sense to me.

And the tutorials on youtube (at least the ones I've watched) didn't really help unfortunately :(

I know I'm sounding like a troll, but honestly I'm not. I guess its more to vent, since it seems alot of users here have both S8 or android of some kind and an iphone. Maybe I can get some advice or help in making the s8 more in form and feel to an iphone.

i don't know, i'm so conflicted especially since this was going to be my xmas present to myself
I say go back to your iPhone. I came from using blackberry to android and it's definitely a learning curve for some things.It may take more than two weeks to learn it. Although I have an ipad and ipod, I'm totally lost picking up an iPhone. Android seems so much easier to me at this point. Don't torture yourself if you don't get it. Just stick with what you know.

misterpunn

Jan 11, 2018
Visit site
Unfortunately, so far, I've been unimpressed with the s8+ after about a month of usage. I am very surprised how quickly the battery drains while my phone is in use. It drains at about the same rate as my Lumia 1020 that is over 4 years old! I hadn't really seen any glaring criticisms about its battery before I made the purchase, so I suppose people must just be used to that type of battery life already, but it drains shockingly fast to me for a brand new phone. Yes, I've optimized my background apps, turned on auto brightness, etc...

The camera for the S8+ was also generally thought to be one of the best on the market, but again here it falls short of my Lumia 1020 (which yes, I know was the industry-leading phone camera, but again it's over 4 years old.) Pictures with no zoom and in well-lit look areas look great, but add any variable outside of perfect picture conditions and it falls short of expectations for me.

The infinity screen is beautiful and I like the edge app shortcut section a lot, and obviously coming from Windows Phone it's nice to have access to such a wide app selection, but overall I still highly miss my Lumia and Windows Phone in particular compared to Android. I do like the customization of Android compared to iOS and definitely don't want to go back to the Apple ecosystem (I had an iPhone 3s before going to Windows Phone,) so I am not regretting my Android over iOS decision; I just really, really miss the WP experience.

Overall, I do like the S8+ a decent amount; I was just hoping for something that wowed me and it hasn't really done that. I thought it would have been easy to be wowed coming from such an old phone, but I really am just satisfied rather than impressed. The wireless charging is extremely nice and was more or less a requirement for me coming from my Lumia which had that. Always On Display is nice to display the time, but why not use that screen to give me a preview of the notification of my choosing? For instance, why not let me set my messages as the default AOD preview app and display the most recent text on the AOD rather than just a symbol? Knowing who sent the message and what the message was before I unlock my phone would be so much nicer (and again, something I had with Glance screen on my Lumia.)

I know I just sound like a person who wishes for the 'good old days' but I'm usually an early adopter of technology and am not super brand loyal. I just like what works the best and has the best experience, and so far the transition has been a rough one.

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I hear and get what you're saying. Keep in mind that Android was never advertised to be intuitive, at least I've never read that anywhere. If you read that, I believe the article was misleading it's readers.

I adopted Android a couple of years ago after the BB10 OS bit the dust, and for me I find it to be a very decent platform for my day-to-day business needs. Again that's just me... To each there own, I think IOS is ideally suited to those who like things a little more polished and structured, whereas Android is ideally suited to those who like things fluidic and customizable.

Hard to believe that in this day and age that we're now basically left to choose between 2 mobile operating systems. Overall I've truly have grown to love my S8+, simply wish the front screen was flat and not curved. Again this is my preference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress