Galaxy S8 / S8 + Battery Life Thread

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Okay maybe you guys are right. Because I just bought a brand new s8+, turned off most battery draining feature, and today I still didn't make it past 4 hours of SoT!!

So we can discard the deffectuous phone theory. And we can add that to the list of so many other things I tried and didn't work so far.

So tomorrow I will try to use the phone all day with my wife's SIM card which is local. Let's see if roaming was the problem.

Will report soon !

I mean nothing else you are doing is out of the ordinary. I don't recall if you ever posted a screen shot of the apps that are using the battery to see if anything is drawing battery?

Jdt0109

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I dont understand how you guys get all these screen on hours. I use my s8 plus with brightness on full, qhd, and I barely get 4...

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I mean nothing else you are doing is out of the ordinary. I don't recall if you ever posted a screen shot of the apps that are using the battery to see if anything is drawing battery?
Well I tried everything and some pretty crazy things too ! And yeah I posted extensive screenshots of my app usuage I will find it and repost it below in a minute

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Ok, here is something interesting. I observed that the last three screenshot posted from peppythetruth, Anthony Mclean all have an SOT of 7 hours and 5 minutes. To achieve this SOT, the battery consumption is different for the three of them. One of them used 1200mah, another one used 1400mah and a last one used 1800mah. I assume this difference is due to different screen settings such as brightness or resolution.
So I decided to go check out my own battery consumption for the screen. At 10% battery, I used 740mah of my battery for 3h37 SOT. If you do the maths, its not excessive. Alll you need to do is double is to see that with 1400mah i would have gotten 7hrs SOT just like everyone else. My problem is that i did not have those extra Mah to use because they were wasted somewhere else.

So my goal is to know where the rest of my 3500mah battery went ! Why do you three get to spend 1400 mah of your battery on the screen, and I only get half of that !
I took details screenshot of all the tabs in the battery section, and I am hoping that one of you will be able to compare, and maybe spot a diffenrence, so I can have a better indication as to what I am doing wrong.....

Here they are. Anything abnormal?

View attachment 259547
View attachment 259548
View attachment 259549
View attachment 259550
View attachment 259551
View attachment 259552
View attachment 259553
View attachment 259554
View attachment 259555
View attachment 259555
View attachment 259556
View attachment 259557
Here is my message with the extensive screenshots. Do you see anything abnormal Clint ?

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
@erasat, I know you did, but remember, after you said that I tried to use my phone for a full day on airplane mode + wifi but i just got 4h30 instead of 4hrs of SOT. So I assumed this wasn't the issue.

I ll try today or tomorrow the local sim card just because im out of options, but im not too hopeful.

Last idea I had after that is ti delete the app I use the most (instagram) and see if the use of it (and especially the fact that i turn on my screen a millions time a day to check my notifications for a minute) affects my battery life so much.

Last edited:

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Almost a month later and I am still getting between 6.5 and almost 8 hours SOT consistently on my S8+ on T-Mobile.
When I work from home on WiFi all day I can get 8 hours SOT easily.
At work where the signal is horrible i get 6 SOT.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I didn't think i could get more than 3-4 hours sot.... Guess i was wrong
790031ddc7a683ba1057298d83a8354f.jpg
e1fda1eb96d2b68fba09d6f306b7cc20.jpg
not much usage generaly having sync, wifi, aod on all day played a bit of gba emulator i turn everything off at night lost 1%
I have an s8+.

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
So I got a local SIM card to figure once and for all if everything that's happening is caused by the roaming + bad signal. Result: nothing changed ! I'm 50% down and only 1h38 of SoT! I knew this wasn't the problem.
And since I've tried pretty much everything that all of us could imagine to improve my battery life, then only conclusion I have left is that all of you who are reporting 8 hrs + are paid by Samsung for your posts. And I would like to receive a piece of the most money to compensate me for the time 8 wasted !

(Just kidding of course, but I feel like crying and that's the truth)

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you just need to go to another phone. You aren't having good luck with the battery on the S 8 and its causing you to have breakdowns. I haven't been in this post in weeks and you're still having the same issue.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you just need to go to another phone. You aren't having good luck with the battery on the S 8 and its causing you to have breakdowns. I haven't been in this post in weeks and you're still having the same issue.

Problem is that he has mentioned before that he had the same issue with his previous phone so it can't be the S8.

Last edited:

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Problem is that he has mentioned before that he had the same issue with his previous phone so it can't be the S8.
Exactly. Had the same thing happening to my s7. Half the SoT as you guys claimed !
One last thing I can think of is that Instagram is draining my battery. I use the app intensely and check it at least a couple of times every hour.

Maybe I could delete it off my phone to see what happens to my SoT

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I like how my iPhone takes a long time to go from 100% down to 99% when on standby. Although the battery drain on the S8 is not as good, it takes longer to go from 100% to 99% than my S7 edge. I average a little over 5 1/2 hrs sit and I don't use Google now.

This ^ If left on standby my IP will sit at 100% for ages. I was in meetings all day a week or 2 back and when I returned to my desk just before 5pm it was on 99%!

amotter

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

I agree with Sweety Pie,
Turn it it and check to see if you like the Moto or LG or Pixel flagships. IF not, get a bridge phone...a cheap one that can get you to Christmas. Then, you can decide on Pixel 2 or wait for S9. The S8 is not working for you and you will adapt, but you will not be real happy if you are charging every day to use.

amotter

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. Had the same thing happening to my s7. Half the SoT as you guys claimed !
One last thing I can think of is that Instagram is draining my battery. I use the app intensely and check it at least a couple of times every hour.

Instagram = Battery Killer. Is there a way where you can set it so it does not push notifications?

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

Sounds like a use case... a mix between the way you use the phones and signal strength. My S8+ is WAY better than my S7 Edge ever was. Also might be the difference between Snap Dragon VS Exynos.