Bloody hell... Scratched my S8 Plus screen

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Unless T-Mobile is going to deny my Jump because I have barely noticeable fine scratches that they can only see in the glare of the bright sun, I'm not going to worry about it.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
The screen and the body of my phone are flawless since I use a case and screen protector at all times. However, of all things my FINGERPRINT SENSOR has suffered a couple of fine scratches. Normally I'm equally anal as the OP, and this would bother the hell out of me. Somehow, knowing I did everything possible to avoid this makes feel better about it.

I can only assume that small sand grains in my pocket did this. But fortuitously, my rear camera, the heart rate monitor, and the front facing camera are wholly undamaged. I know the front facing camera is covered with Gorilla Glass. I guess the rear camera must be similarly protected, but not the FPS.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
One of the main reason i skipped s8 and got G6...and lovin my G6 ...and mainly flat screen and dual camera and battery life..around 2 days with 5 to 6 hrs Sot...i had s7 edge last year and i know the pain of finding a good screen protector...i wish Samsung goes back to flat screen option on flagships
Don't be surprised if lg doesn't follow Samsung with the curved screen, seems lg likes to compete closely with Samsung.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Don't be surprised if lg doesn't follow Samsung with the curved screen, seems lg likes to compete closely with Samsung.

Yeah it was like a year ago people were saying, "at least LG still has replaceable batteries and no glass back". The tech world is the one place where everyone lives in glass houses, so don't get too cocky.

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
LG already had their fling with curved screens with their Flex models. And remember Samsung was also the one who said SD cards were dead but yet here they are, still. Nothing is irreversible if consumers want it enough.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
LG already had their fling with curved screens with their Flex models. And remember Samsung was also the one who said SD cards were dead but yet here they are, still. Nothing is irreversible if consumers want it enough.

And consumers seem to want large edge screens from Samsung. The plus model is outselling the regular S8. So they're doubling down rather than rejecting.

Tampaguy75

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I never had an issue with my screen getting scratched until I used phones with Gorilla Glass 5. I had two Note 7s. Within a couple of weeks, the screens were scratched. Then I went on to the S7 Edge (which used Gorilla Glass 4). I had two of those over a 6 month period. No scratches, whatsoever. Now that I have the S8+, within a month I have several scratches all over the surface.

I don't care what anyone says, the Gorilla Glass 5 scratches easier than Gorilla Glass 4.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
No more for me; back to a Note 5, flat screen + tempered glass screen protector means no more worrying about scratches!

Phew...

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
No more for me; back to a Note 5, flat screen + tempered glass screen protector means no more worrying about scratches!

Phew...

Yeah as much as I love the S8, the fact that I cannot use a tempered glass on it means I'll probably go with a flat screen next time around as well.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
No one makes a tempered glass protector for the Edge screens that stays put when used in a case; let alone used on the phone alone!

A bit issue and mistake IMO

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Why can't you use a Tempered glass?

Read the reviews, none are working with the S8. The two I tried fail as well. Even the films are peeling. Very frustrating trying to find good screen protection for this phone. I'm currently using a Yootech wet apply film that I like, but the corners do peel up with a case on.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Read the reviews, none are working with the S8. The two I tried fail as well. Even the films are peeling. Very frustrating trying to find good screen protection for this phone. I'm currently using a Yootech wet apply film that I like, but the corners do peel up with a case on.

They have case friendly Tempered Glass now, like Tech Guard 3D. I don't use them, but I've heard nothing but good things.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm using the official Samsung Screen Protector film version with a RhinoShield Bumper and dbrand Black Dragon back skin and it's not peeling. Very happy with this set up.

I've read posts where some also have had success with glass options.

Some say they've had no scratches at all on their s8 phones.

I work in a warehouse so wanted something in regards to the environment I work in.

goodintentions

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Can't believe it

I'm anal when it comes to my mobiles and ALWAYS have a screen protector fitted

However I haven't found one yet that's good enough, doesn't lift when in a case etc, so having to go with a naked screen

I'm now using an Otterbox Strada case for my S8 Plus, which I have to say is one of the best cases I've ever had

But, somehow, I've managed to scratch the screen the other day (before I fitted the Otterbox case), whilst it was in the Spigen Tough Armor case...

It's only about 4-5mm long, right on the left hand side about 2/3 of the way down. Can only be seen if you look for it at the right angle, but now I know it's three, it's doing my head in :(

I haven't dropped the phone, don't place it screen side down, don't have it in my pockets etc... So god knows how this has happened

Are these screens that delicate that they scratch this easily?!

Very simple solution. You need to immediately get rid of the s8 and buy an iphone. I hear the iphone is so perfect that the screen is indestructible and cannot ever be scratched.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
^^

Meh; know plenty of folk with iPhones that have scratched them without any idea how...

No phone is un-scratchable these days; but flat screens for the adding of a decent screen protector seems to be coming an 'extinction level event' too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa