How to stop screen turning on when starting to charge

guric1van

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
When you plug in the phone to charge (or start wirelessly), the screen comes on. Is there any way to disable this?

Its a bit annoying to always need to turn the screen off after putting it down to charge.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
When you plug in the phone to charge (or start wirelessly), the screen comes on. Is there any way to disable this?

Its a bit annoying to always need to turn the screen off after putting it down to charge.

Why is it annoying? If you'll leave it alone, your screen saver will kick in.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
The screen turns on to show that it is recognizing the charge, then once you leave it alone, the screen will shut off. Don't see why this would bother anyone.

guric1van

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I have my screen timing off after 10min, so if i dont turn it off manually, it will stay on for that long.

Its annoying in several situations, such as when dark in bed, and place it on the wireless charging pad on the bedside table, I then have to manually turn it off, otherwise the ceiling is lit up for 10min. Likewise, in the car it stays on , therefore taking longer to charge than it should.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
It seems like you are causing your own annoyance because of the 10 minute time out. I don't know of any other solution for your issue besides lessening the screen timeout.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have my screen timing off after 10min, so if i dont turn it off manually, it will stay on for that long.

Its annoying in several situations, such as when dark in bed, and place it on the wireless charging pad on the bedside table, I then have to manually turn it off, otherwise the ceiling is lit up for 10min. Likewise, in the car it stays on , therefore taking longer to charge than it should.

Are you not locking the phone? When my phone is locked and I plug it in -- it turns on for about 10 seconds or less then shuts back off. It doesn't sit on the lock screen for 10 minutes (or in my case my 1 minute lockout).

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Related question: is it possible to stop the S8 from turning the screen on when charging is complete? Often times when I place my phone on my wireless charger at night, it turns on the screen after an hour or so once the phone has completed charging. Very annoying when sleeping in a dark room!

guric1van

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Are you not locking the phone? When my phone is locked and I plug it in -- it turns on for about 10 seconds or less then shuts back off. It doesn't sit on the lock screen for 10 minutes (or in my case my 1 minute lockout).

With smart lock, the phone does not lock in mu car or house

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
With smart lock, the phone does not lock in mu car or house

Same with mine but your issue sounds easily solvable -- just lock it before plugging it in. If it is in your hand to plug in locking it seems minor.

The only way to have what you want is most likely with root. Even then I doubt it.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have my screen timing off after 10min, so if i dont turn it off manually...

Without trying to sound sarcastic, is it that hard to hit the power button when you put it on the charger? I sometimes go to bed after my wife, and I simply hit the power button to turn the screen off.

Alicia Dawn Miranda

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Without trying to sound sarcastic, is it that hard to hit the power button when you put it on the charger? I sometimes go to bed after my wife, and I simply hit the power button to turn the screen off.

It is annoying af my time out is 10 minutes also because I'm constant on my phone. Handling 2 businesses you need that screen on. Battery had to be charged often and it's annoying to always have to hit the button to black screen it when you hook the charger to it. Its not charging fast enough if the screen is on. There should be an option to bypass the screen turning on when charging...a sound would be good enough

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Your phone should not be staying on for the full duration of the time out just because you started charging. Mine is 1min ish but allways turns off 10 or so seconds after putting it on the wireless charging stand, even if the phone is unlocked be cause my smart watch is active.

QWKSNKE

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
It is annoying af my time out is 10 minutes also because I'm constant on my phone. Handling 2 businesses you need that screen on. Battery had to be charged often and it's annoying to always have to hit the button to black screen it when you hook the charger to it. Its not charging fast enough if the screen is on. There should be an option to bypass the screen turning on when charging...a sound would be good enough

Aside from the issue you completely contradicted yourself in this post. ( I need it always on, I want it off when I plug it in, etc.) Have you tried turning on facial recognition so that if you are looking at the screen, it stays on until you are no longer viewing and then turns off? This way you could lower the absurd 10 min screen on time.
I believe the charge on screen is a percentage of whatever your 'stay on' time is. For example my time is 1 minute but when I set it on charge and on the lock screen, it stays on 10 sec at the most

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
There have been threads as to what apps cause the phone screen to wake up during night. Look into that.

Isn't there an option to just place phone face down?

I use Developer Options for more choices.

Matthew Purdon

Feb 11, 2018
Visit site
Why are there so many dumb replies about not understanding why it would bother someone or that you can just turn off the power button? If you are not contributing, then don't reply so that people actually trying to solve the problem don't have to scroll through your garbage.

I have the same problem - as anyone that does not sleep alone might - in that my wife goes to bed before me and the 8+ lights up the entire room when it starts charging and she can sometimes be woken up from it if she happens to face towards my side. I've taken to using my shirt to place the phone on the wireless charger so that it's covered for the flash. It's hard to see if it's actually on the charger properly though...

Thanks in advance for any solutions.

I used to put the phone face down but I got a wireless charger and it only works well face up I've found. Good thinking though.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Since my phone is my alarm, I always have my brightness turned down when charging, too. Silencing the alarm at full brightness is amazingly painful. On the other hand I plan on using the bixby morning notifications and news alarm feature when oreo drops down so reaching over to cancel may be a thing of the past.

ZesPak

Mar 5, 2018
Visit site
Why are there so many dumb replies about not understanding why it would bother someone or that you can just turn off the power button? If you are not contributing, then don't reply so that people actually trying to solve the problem don't have to scroll through your garbage.

I have the same problem - as anyone that does not sleep alone might - in that my wife goes to bed before me and the 8+ lights up the entire room when it starts charging and she can sometimes be woken up from it if she happens to face towards my side. I've taken to using my shirt to place the phone on the wireless charger so that it's covered for the flash. It's hard to see if it's actually on the charger properly though...

Thanks in advance for any solutions.
I agree completely.
What is up with these people: "why are you annoyed by this" "ridiculous screen saver time"

I'm on Android because it always gave me the impression you can do anything.
I get the fact that this isn't doable easily. Just say so. Don't point the finger to the OP for "asking for something stupid". He asked a valid question and there's good reasoning for it.