Samsung isn't honoring its Galaxy S8 $200 trade-in discounts. Major PR blow to come.

coolguy27

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I spoke to Samsung on the phone to see if there's a update to my escalation. The rep told me that they will probably not get a response back until after my RMA is expired so it's best for me to just return it. They are getting too many complaints to get back to.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Hey all, took a LOT of work to get my returns refunded and I do mean a lot of work. It's not the kind of experience that makes me want to buy a Samsung phone in the future. In fact, I will never buy a Samsung phone after this. And I do mean never.

Years ago I had a bad experience with HP and one of their laptops. What a nightmare.

I swore them off and have stuck to my word. I will do the same here.

No question Apple cannot be beat for service.

coolguy27

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Can you explain what you mean by a lot of work? I will be returning my phone. I received my return label but holding a little bit longer to wait for the escalation (wishful thinking). I have until the 30th to return.

Hey all, took a LOT of work to get my returns refunded and I do mean a lot of work. It's not the kind of experience that makes me want to buy a Samsung phone in the future. In fact, I will never buy a Samsung phone after this. And I do mean never.

Years ago I had a bad experience with HP and one of their laptops. What a nightmare.

I swore them off and have stuck to my word. I will do the same here.

No question Apple cannot be beat for service.

Jonathan Ro

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
Here is an update for me: Was told on Sunday that they would escalate the issue and would have an answer in 3-5 days. Called Wednesday afternoon for an update and was told that it would be re-escalated to upper management. Called today (Friday) and the rep said he would "double-escalate" it and it would take just a little more time, which turns out to be TWO MORE WEEKS! I have my FedEx shipping label finally and am debating whether to just attempt a return or to stick it out and hope for the best. I like the phone which creates the dilemma.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
It took three weeks to get one refund. Two weeks to get the other. That is from the time they received the phones back. I had to call more than a few times and twice they said the phones were "lost." LOST?! MMMkay.

rinkeedink

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have no idea why anyone is defending Samsung in this thread. Samsung screwed me on this for failing to accept my unused nextbit robin as not having normal wear and tear. Their contractor processing this is not an excuse by Samsung, they follow Samsungs orders. I will not buy another Samsung phone or product after this fiasco. I am not a sucker. They can kiss my a**. And, I will sell my S8+ on swappa and then sell my GS7Edge on swappa. I'll get the next pixel or next LG phone with wireless charging. Bixby being forced down my throat and finegerprint sensor location are a huge fail anyhow. I only tried S8+ because of the trade in scam. Goodbye Samsung

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Samsung.com is continuing to prove themselves incompetent in handling many basic customer interactions in a timely manner. I did get my $200 trade in so I consider myself lucky. I'm still waiting for an RMA for a chromebook sent to me in error and it's been nearly a month since I asked. It's gone on so long I've had to start making payments to Samsung finance. On the other hand their sales department seems to be on the ball as I ordered a coral blue S8 a few minutes past midnight the other day and it was shipped the same day. I really love the S8+ but if they had refused my trade in I would have the same reaction as the person above.

specialbuddy

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I feel the same way. I sent in my phone last week. I hope they do right and not screw me. I'm the type of person that will sell the phone at a loss just because the company screwed me. I have a Samsung TV and washer and dryer. The washer and dryer were great and I gave them to my inlaws when I sold my house. If they think it's a good idea to screw people out of $175, I will never buy their stuff again. All about the boycotts.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Any updates from Samsung on the escalation? I traded in the Nexus 6 I was using and got an email yesterday that the trade in isnt accepted due to not meeting Samsung's criteria of "Normal wear and tear". The phone was in good condition and I did ensure to bubble wrap it so that it wouldnt get damaged in transit. I too had contacted customer support and they said that it has been escalated.

That's bull c***. They needed to be more specific. They probably didn't take the phone because it didn't have much resell value. The website is updated to show which phones they will accept.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
That's bull c***. They needed to be more specific. They probably didn't take the phone because it didn't have much resell value. The website is updated to show which phones they will accept.

I noticed that too. They don't give you a lot of choices. I clicked on the LG one and they don't even accept the V20 lol. Only the Pixel and no Nexus phones.

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site

I sent them a $20 Att gophone purchased at Walmart and they accepted it.

BTW the promotion they're running now is different because they are requiring certain phones be used for the trade in.

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I sent them a $20 Att gophone purchased at Walmart and they accepted it.

BTW the promotion they're running now is different because they are requiring certain phones be used for the trade in.

Same here. Contrary to popular internet belief, phone value has nothing to do with this trade-in program. Now..as for why phones that were worth way more than 20 bucks didn't get accepted, no idea.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
4 years experience in the mobile industry taking trade ins for several companies and I knew not to touch this deal with a 10 foot pole. I would inspect phones in store, send them off, and still get denied occasionally. The slightest hint of water damage, a scratched up screen and body, user data still on the phone or the phone locked to an email account via Google or Apple would disqualify instantly. On rare occasion they would claim damage to the device that wasn't there, made me wonder if things got damaged in shipping.

Point is unless someone can inspect my phone and guarantee me my money face to face, I'm not sending my phone off for a trade in.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Fine print was not clear and made slightly false statements. I'm seeing a class action lawsuit if there's a very experienced laywer who can do it. Samsung has been sued before many times by Apple over small things and ended up paying. But more over this is a punch in the stomach to those that were loyal Samsung owners.
Great, a class action lawsuit. All of the plaintiffs get a $50 gift certificate for Samsung accessories and they lawyers all get to buy houses in the Bahamas to dock their new boats.

hybrisate

May 8, 2012
Visit site
It took three weeks to get one refund. Two weeks to get the other. That is from the time they received the phones back. I had to call more than a few times and twice they said the phones were "lost." LOST?! MMMkay.

I rejected shipment and they received the phone back at the warehouse on July 7th, so we are approaching 3 weeks now. At the time, they told me not to worry about the SIM that was shipped a week or two before the phone, as it was a free item. Sure enough, I call back wondering about my refund and they tell me I HAVE to send the SIM back to get the refund processed.

They received the SIM on July 19th and I have yet to be refunded. They said it will take 5-7 business days, but I am not confident it will be done without a few more calls. I am preparing to dispute with my credit card issuer at this point. The SIM obviously makes mine more complicated- but did you have to do anything besides wait it out? I mistakenly hit "Return Item" on the order page, so there is an open RMA on the phone order which I think will confuse them since it was sent back as a rejected shipment. FML.

equake

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I returned my S8 like the others here I only received $25. They credited my credit card for order amount still waiting for the $175 to be credited

My 2 coins

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I would just return the Samsung phone. I refused delivery of the S8+ on 7/8. They got the phone back on the 11th but still have not refunded my Samsung Credit account. This is after I sent them an email and they replied back on the 11th that they see the phone is being returned so they will issue me a credit. So far nothing. They are very shaddy and I would not trust them at all.

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I would just return the Samsung phone. I refused delivery of the S8+ on 7/8. They got the phone back on the 11th but still have not refunded my Samsung Credit account. This is after I sent them an email and they replied back on the 11th that they see the phone is being returned so they will issue me a credit. So far nothing. They are very shaddy and I would not trust them at all.

They're really a pretty slipshod operation at samsung.com. I have been waiting since mid-june for an RMA for a chromebook they sent me in error. I've already started making payments on it at Samsung credit. I refused shipment on a second chromebook sent in error and they received on June 26th, I finally did get a credit on that one a few days ago.
They also are screwed up on the sales side as I tried to order two fitness bands which were on sale for $50 off however when you try to put more than one in your cart you only get the discount on one. Sent an e-mail about that one and got a totally useless answer.
Luckily everything went fine on the 2 phones I bought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699