The S8 is the smoothest Android interface I've ever used. Thoughts?

cell adviser

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
Very interesting. I can't afford to put can I have your I have a note 4 and it seems perfectly solid and smooth even with it being a couple years old. That's why I really don't want to get rid of it cuz it works perfectly fine and I love this phone. $600 on the phone so I will never know I guess.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I have the S8+ and yes it is very smooth.

I've had so many phones and used to root and flash ROMs all the time. I haven't even put Nova Launcher on this phone. No need to. No need for Textra or TypeMail or alot of 3rd party apps. This one just works for me. I rarely use chrome because the Samsung internet works for me. I haven't even remapped Bixby because there is just too much damn other stuff to play with on this phone and it made me forget Bixby lol.

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
So for those of you who have gone through a ton of Android phones like I have, do you think it's the smoothest you've used? The S8 is nothing like the S7 touch wiz or I call it tough wiz. It was choppy and sticky. This S8 is so fluid and smooth. The more I use it the more I appreciate it. It's by far the smoothest interface I've used. However I have not used the Pixel but did have the Nexus 6p which I think the Pixel is a tweaked out version of the 6p anyway and the S8 beats it out. What do you guys think. Is the S8 the smoothest Android interface on the market? I think so. Just curious of everyone's take on it. Chime in and let me know what your take is. Do you keep your S8 at full resolution or do you keep it in default mode as it came? Also it seems that most have the plus version. I feel like I am the minority having the regular S8. Post what you have either the regular size or the plus and why you chose your model. I'm just curious of others thoughts. I also see a lot of people not using a screen protector. I'm definitely using one but not a tempered glass. I'm using a liquid skin by skinomi. Post what you use or the kind as I'm curious what else is out there that is good. The Skinomi is great and does not collect fingerprints hardly at all. So are you a regular size S8 user or a Plus user? Tell me why you chose one over the other. I personally like the one handed use. I wanted the plus but I was afraid it would be just too big after prolonged usage. I might be totally wrong though. Anyways thoughts???

It is fast but a little laggy sometimes, it is not even on the top 5 of the fastest/smoothest devices I've used but because of the features and look touchwiz is one of my favorite android versions and S8+ is my favorite phone.

I chose the plus over the s8 as my daily driver because of the bigger Super AMOLED screen and bigger battery, LG G6 is also great but I sold it to keep the regular s8 as second phone I like the one handed use of both but S8 has more features that I use plus I like the screen better and I like to crop to fit on YouTube (it's not possible on G6 official YouTube app currently)

I do keep both S8 at QHD resolution because I do notice a difference in the screen but notice no difference on battery life, if battery life was impacted probably would use FHD as it looks good enough but QHD looks better

sorry don't know what screen protector is good for this phone because I hate screen protectors in general and don't use them.

I have the S8+ and yes it is very smooth.

I've had so many phones and used to root and flash ROMs all the time. I haven't even put Nova Launcher on this phone. No need to. No need for Textra or TypeMail or alot of 3rd party apps. This one just works for me. I rarely use chrome because the Samsung internet works for me. I haven't even remapped Bixby because there is just too much damn other stuff to play with on this phone and it made me forget Bixby lol.

I do use Nova Prime because of the gestures but using stock SMS app and samsung browser, I also use the bixby button sometimes but only for bixby voice, bixby home is useless for me

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I used the 6P for a few months and it was one the best Android phones I had used. The S8 Plus and regular S8 are smooth but not comparable to the 6P. Heck the FFC and rear cameras on the 6P were top notch..

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
From a lot of comparison videos and people that have switched back and forth, they say that the G6 is actually smoother in day to day use. It does have an older chipset but they UI isn't as bogged down as Touchwiz
I disagree with those people. TouchWiz is lighter than ever and the 835 blows the 821 out of the water. The G6 crowd has an inferiority complex because their flagship arrived with a year old chip. They've tried desperately to convince themselves and anyone who would listen that the G6 is as fast or as smooth as the S8 with the newest, fastest chip. It ain't.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I disagree with those people. TouchWiz is lighter than ever and the 835 blows the 821 out of the water. The G6 crowd has an inferiority complex because their flagship arrived with a year old chip. They've tried desperately to convince themselves and anyone who would listen that the G6 is as fast or as smooth as the S8 with the newest, fastest chip. It ain't.
Yup yup everything you just said I agree with immensely!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Smoothest Samsung? Yes. Smoothest Android overall? No.

This I think is a fair statement. I would truly need my Pixel XL back again to test but from what I recall it was damn close.. The XL has just been gone for awhile now so :(.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site

And as someone who owned both and used them side by side I completely disagree with everything you said.

The G6 never once lagged on me and as a matter of fact could play mlb 9 innings without dropping frames. My S8 cannot do that and my S8+ could not do that. After 4 innings it starts to drop off. The only advantage I have found with the 835 is it runs cooler and is better on battery. Other than that, there is zero difference in real world usage.

Newer does not always mean better. Pick up a pixel and tell me the S8 runs better without laughing at that statement.

(Typed on my S8)

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
And as someone who owned both and used them side by side I completely disagree with everything you said.

The G6 never once lagged on me and as a matter of fact could play mlb 9 innings without dropping frames. My S8 cannot do that and my S8+ could not do that. After 4 innings it starts to drop off. The one and only advantage I have found with the 835 is it runs cooler and is better on battery. Other than that, there is zero difference in real world usage.

Newer does not always mean better. Pick up a pixel and tell me the S8 runs better without laughing at that statement.

(Typed on my S8)

I agree and disagree with this. Agree that newer doesn't always mean better, and I also agree that the G6 is very smooth. As fast as the S8? No way.

I also agree that "some" G6 fans have a bit of a chip on their shoulder. There's multiple threads over on the G6 board with folks having to justify their purchase over and over by down grading the S8.

You don't find that here. We know this phone flies most times.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

The G6 never once lagged on me and as a matter of fact could play mlb 9 innings without dropping frames. My S8 cannot do that and my S8+ could not do that. After 4 innings it starts to drop off. The only advantage I have found with the 835 is it runs cooler and is better on battery. Other than that, there is zero difference in real world usage.

(Typed on my S8)

Do you play games? My G6 versus my S8+ I really couldn't tell a difference. Both handled everything I threw at them really smoothly (performance wise). I don't game though so.. That could be a part that I never "tested" on my phones.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Do you play games? My G6 versus my S8+ I really couldn't tell a difference. Both handled everything I threw at them really smoothly (performance wise). I don't game though so.. That could be a part that I never "tested" on my phones.

I play a few, not many. The one game that I've found will really test a device is GTA. The s8 has some issues there. The G6 does as well. The Pixel handles it just fine.

Another one that some devices struggle with is mlb 9 innings. The S8 starts to bog down after 4 innings. I have to quit the game and resume it to keep it smooth. My G6 played all 9 innings.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I play a few, not many. The one game that I've found will really test a device is GTA. The s8 has some issues there. The G6 does as well. The Pixel handles it just fine.

Another one that some devices struggle with is mlb 9 innings. The S8 starts to bog down after 4 innings. I have to quit the game and resume it to keep it smooth. My G6 played all 9 innings.

Ah I am mainly just a photo / media junkie... and of course the forums / reddit and stuffs :p.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I agree and disagree with this. Agree that newer doesn't always mean better, and I also agree that the G6 is very smooth. As fast as the S8? No way.

I also agree that "some" G6 fans have a bit of a chip on their shoulder. There's multiple threads over on the G6 board with folks having to justify their purchase over and over by down grading the S8.

You don't find that here. We know this phone flies most times.

Opening apps the advantage does go to the S8 but I have a hard time giving a phone a grief because it opened an app 1 second later.

And yes there are alot of folks justifying their decision on the G6 vs S8, you can't deny that. I think it's because the S8 is so intruiging with the design and amount of advertisements towards it. The G6 is more of a workhorse that still looks good.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Opening apps the advantage does go to the S8 but I have a hard time giving a phone a grief because it opened an app 1 second later.

And yes there are alot of folks justifying their decision on the G6 vs S8, you can't deny that. I think it's because the S8 is so intruiging with the design and amount of advertisements towards it. The G6 is more of a workhorse that still looks good.

G6 has been a great device, and since I'm considering using one more T-Mobile jump this fall, I can't wait to compare the Note to the V30.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
G6 has been a great device, and since I'm considering using one more T-Mobile jump this fall, I can't wait to compare the Note to the V30.
I'm in the same boat. I love the note series but this one worries me based on the size. I didn't like the S8+ because of its size but I like the S8 alot. The G6 was my first LG but it was just so nice and because of that I really wanna see the V30. Especially now that they are going OLED.