Advice needed: S8+ screen on 2 month old phone

Muessig

Retired Moderator
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
So I am in the UK and bought an S8+ outright from John Lewis and have been enjoying using the device.

I've read how people have easily scratched their screens but I haven't really had a lot of problems until a week or so ago when my device started picking up scratches around the edges. These are scratches you can feel with your nail and not in the oleophobic coating but were only about a mm long. I use my phone naked, no screen protector or case, because my previous devices haven't had any issues like this, but I picked up my phone today and there is a 1 inch long scratch (you can feel it with your nail) in the middle of the screen.

I don't have any debris in my pocket and don't put coins or keys etc in the same pocket as my phone and this has still happened.

In my wisdom I haven't got phone insurance for this device so as far as I can tell I have a couple of options:

1. Get a screen protector and case and try to make the best of it
2. Try to get insurance and see if I can get a replacement device, ideally through John Lewis or another High Street UK store for quick replacement.

Does anyone have any other advice or recommendations for How to insure it to get a straight replacement? I've read that a lot of insurance companies won't cover scratches all over a screen but will cover cracked screens... I'm really at a loss here.

Whatever happened I think I will need a case and screen protector, but I've read it's nigh impossible to find a screen protector that will curve with the glass, does anyone have any recommendations for that too?

kalpit18

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
So I am in the UK and bought an S8+ outright from John Lewis and have been enjoying using the device.

I've read how people have easily scratched their screens but I haven't really had a lot of problems until a week or so ago when my device started picking up scratches around the edges. These are scratches you can feel with your nail and not in the oleophobic coating but were only about a mm long. I use my phone naked, no screen protector or case, because my previous devices haven't had any issues like this, but I picked up my phone today and there is a 1 inch long scratch (you can feel it with your nail) in the middle of the screen.

I don't have any debris in my pocket and don't put coins or keys etc in the same pocket as my phone and this has still happened.

In my wisdom I haven't got phone insurance for this device so as far as I can tell I have a couple of options:

1. Get a screen protector and case and try to make the best of it
2. Try to get insurance and see if I can get a replacement device, ideally through John Lewis or another High Street UK store for quick replacement.

Does anyone have any other advice or recommendations for How to insure it to get a straight replacement? I've read that a lot of insurance companies won't cover scratches all over a screen but will cover cracked screens... I'm really at a loss here.

Whatever happened I think I will need a case and screen protector, but I've read it's nigh impossible to find a screen protector that will curve with the glass, does anyone have any recommendations for that too?
I tried couple of glass guards but didn't find them to my satisfaction. There was always an air gap between the screen and the guard and that required a hard press to register the touch. One of them even had a clicky feeling at the top of the screen. After that I tried the spigen neo flex film. It's not the ultimate protection but definitely feels better than those horrible glass guards and I'm using that along with the spigen neo hybrid case.
Happy so far!

Hopefully this is of some help to you!

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Not really. I have an ArmorSuit case-friendly protector and Spigen Tough Armor case on my S8+ that work very well together. Care in applying the protector is needed, but they will stay in place if applied properly.

Muessig

Retired Moderator
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I'm very skeptical too. I'm thinking it's better to get a case and screen protector for now and get it insured and if something more serious happens I'll be able to get a replacement then.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi Muessig. I'll save the "you should have a screen protector and case" lecture. I understand why you might not want to live with scratches on your $850 phone, especially when it's suffered more than what can be called normal wear and tear. One option might be to get a warranty replacement through Samsung. Here in the US, some carriers (including T-Mobile, which is mine) will actually take care of this for you; you just call them and tell them you want a warranty replacement, they ship it to a store near you, and you walk in and exchange devices. I've actually had to do this three times due to issues with my USB-C port (I've written about it at length in other threads). Normally Samsung charges $20 for this, but I've got my second and third replacements for free since T-Mobile figured I'd suffered enough already.

Now, here's the disclaimer. Technically when you get a warranty replacement, it's a refurbished device. When you get one mere months after launch, chances are it'll in fact be a new device, but this isn't guaranteed. The first time I got a warranty replacement on my S8+, the new phone had small scratches on the screen, and I actually rejected it and asked for a new one to be sent.

Anyway, as long as you're OK with having to potentially reject multiple warranty replacements due to cosmetic damage on arrival, I think this may be a good way to go if you want a flawless screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87