Do I Need a Screen Protector if I Get a Galaxy S8 or S8+?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Thinking of a getting a Samsung for the first time after having Moto phones for the past seven years (Droid Turbo, Razr Maxx HD, etc--I'm a battery life snob.)

My phone is the only thing that goes in my front right pants pocket. I put it in screen side facing toward my thigh. I've never used a screen protector and I've never gotten a scratch, not even a teensy scratch.

Just look at the stunning display screen on the S8+. It would be a shame to get a scratch on that screen.

I've read conflicting posts here on AC and elsewhere that the Gorilla Glass on the S8 and S8+ is "softer" than previous versions of Gorilla Glass. People have complained about getting scratches on their screens. Others claim it is the oleophobic coating and not the screen that is scratched. Some say they've had S6's and S7's and never had scratches but now their S8 is getting scratched.

So S8 and S8+ owners--it's been almost six months since the phone has been released and several months since most of these posts about scratches were written. You've got several more months of use on your phone. How about an update? Have you noticed scratching or not?

Do I need a screen protector if I get a Galaxy S8+?

Thomasrope

May 20, 2017
Visit site
No screen protector on my S8+ which I've had since April. I work outdoors for a living and keep the phone in my front or back pocket. Not a single scratch on it.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I dont use the screen covers myself. Ive had mine since April 19th and there are only two very light difficult to see scratches. Those were likely from the bag I sometimes put the phone in when carrying a lot of stuff.

naturalguy

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
No. I am pretty rough on my phone and you don't need a screen protector with this one. You should get a good case with enough lip protection that will protect the screen in case of drops

sparkeater79

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I bought a pelican case for my s8 and got a free ballistic glass screensaver with it. I tried to install it but didn't like it at all. Have been rocking with NO screen protector and haven't had any cracks. I have dropped it several times in my otter box but haven't cracked the screen yet. The curved edges make it difficult for a decent screensaver.

ahiqar

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
I use the zagg HD clear screen protector and it works great and works with a case. I had it installed the moment my phone came out of the box.

cedjunior

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I have not used one. I've had this phone since it was released.

This was taken today.

IGQRqQL.jpg

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Been using the Otao TGSP with tray installation for a month and love it. Saved my phone when it hit a metal desk leg right on the edge portion of screen. It also doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses, everybody. Unfortunately I'm not getting any clarity on this question. With some saying it scratched easily and others saying they are scratch-free I'm wondering if there is a problem with Gorilla Glass quality consistency?

I'm thinking if I get the S8+ I will not put on a screen protector.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez