Why is the wireless charger called a fast charger?

ssreddy555

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
I wonder why is the Samsung wireless charger called a fast charger when it charges at an average speed of 13% per hour. To put it in perspective, direct wired connection charges at 70%+.
The wireless charger takes about 5 to 5.5 hrs while direct charge takes 1.5 hrs.

anon(9602380)

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
I wonder why is the Samsung wireless charger called a fast charger when it charges at an average speed of 13% per hour. To put it in perspective, direct wired connection charges at 70%+.
The wireless charger takes about 5 to 5.5 hrs while direct charge takes 1.5 hrs.

Welcome to Android Central.

It is call a fast charger because that is what it is. I have both the stand up and convertible wireless chargers and the are both fast. Not as fast as direct but within minutes of each other. I found the case you use can make a difference. A heavy case will make the wireless chargers slower. For the most part though the wireless chargers I have from Samsung work great and are very fast. Thanks.

ssreddy555

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
U mean just a few minutes longer than direct charge?
That's really astonishing.

I have tried without the cover as well but it made no difference.

My phone does show it's fast charging but the fastest time it ever achieved is 5 hrs for full charge.

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Samsung is comparing their wireless charger vs standard wireless chargers. Not vs direct cable charging. From the description: "...allows you to charge your compatible Galaxy device up to 1.4x faster than standard wireless charging transmitters"

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I think it also depends on which charger you are using. I have an older Samsung wireless charger that is supposed to support fast charging but does not actually fast charge my S8. Looking in the advanced options fast cable charging is enabled but fast wireless charging doesn't even show up.

To get fast wireless charging I believe you need to buy one of the newer model chargers.

Last edited:

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Thick cases and magnets will impede charge speeds, too. Fast charge should be about as fast as normal usb 2.0 charging.

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think it also depends on which charger you are using. I have an older Samsung wireless charger that is supposed to support fast charging but does not actually fast charge my S8. Looking in the advanced options fast cable charging is enabled but fast wireless charging doesn't even show up.

To get fast wireless charging I believe you need to buy one of the newer model chargers.

The 2016 Samsung fast wireless chargers that I have charge at the same rate as this years new convertible version. Remember that you have to be using a QC 2.0 or greater charging block with the charger, or you won't see the extra speed. And a thick case can interfere, as already noted.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
The 2016 Samsung fast wireless chargers that I have charge at the same rate as this years new convertible version. Remember that you have to be using a QC 2.0 or greater charging block with the charger, or you won't see the extra speed. And a thick case can interfere, as already noted.
I tried that and it still won't charge faster. I tried using the wall charger that was supplied with the phone. No matter what I try I never see the option for "fast wireless charging".

I haven't tried it without a case but have used several different cases and have seen no difference.

The charger I have is one of the Samsung pucks. It doesn't fold. In have seen stuff indicating that there are issues with some older charger models being unable to provide fast charging. It seems to be centered around chargers that were produced prior to the S8. I didn't pay a lot for the charger so I'm just using it as is. I've been using wireless charging for years with Windows Phones and love the convenience of just plopping your phone on a pad to charge.

Here's a post that talks about the issue.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/s...s/797211-having-issues-wireless-charging.html

Last edited:

Sammytheorangutan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I use an https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IUSYF8G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Anker 39w power brick, a https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6064100 Cheotech fast charge wireless charger and a standard USB A to USB mini B cable (non branded). The phone shows it's fast charging when I lay it on the charger and it DOES charge the phone faster than a corded charge with a USB 2.0 cable and almost as fast as using the OEM power brick with the OEM cable. The charging stand doesn't show that it supports the S8/S8+ but it does. $45 for the pair and I can fast charge my iPad at the same time.