Corrupted SD Card after 8.0 Update

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

After updating my Galaxy S8 last week, my SD card, with 1000+ pictures is corrupted. I removed the card and installed it in my old S5, which has not been updated, and it says it is still corrupted. Obviously this is a problem, and one that could have been avoided with a simple warning before the update. But that's probably asking too much.

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I always remove anything not part of the phone before doing an update and usually factory reset after the major update to make sure that nothing can cause anything to go wrong and if something does go wrong the warranty usually covers the phone if things go bad.

Also, google photo's is free to upload all your pics for backup purposes (so when things like this happens, at least you'll have your images)

Sucks to hear this happen to you. I hope some how it fixes itself or you find out a fix and I highly recommend doing a monthly/quarter year backup (Leave phone on charger all night and let the phone upload your DCIM folder... most of the time it's all done before you even get up)

Billsby

Mar 30, 2018
Visit site
I have precisely the same issue on my S8+ after the 8.0 update last week. What a crock, huh. Even doing regular backups doesnt save your important recent items. Thanks a lot you faceless someone I can't reach with my fork.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you back up your important items, they're backed up. with 50GB of free cloud space available at MEGA, and more available on other cloud accounts, and unlimited picture space available on Google, there's no reason to not have the entire phone backed up.

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
My sd card is also corrupt but when I put it in an adapter and then my PC the files were there so I did a backup of everything

Did you try reading it through an adapter in your computer?

Jeanmk

Apr 14, 2018
Visit site
The same thing happened to me. I took the card out of the phone and my PC reads it just fine. I am backing it up now.

Poison Kiss

May 19, 2018
Visit site
My sd card is also corrupt but when I put it in an adapter and then my PC the files were there so I did a backup of everything

Did you try reading it through an adapter in your computer?

When I plugged my s8 into my computer, it didn't register the SD card at all... I had thousands of photos on there and a few videos. I cant get back most of the photos if this is proving to be an actual problem.....

Doc X

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Ya updating to Oreo messed my 128 gig card up to. I tried another card. It worked until I rebooted my phone and now it's corrupt to. Wipeing cashe on phone did nothing, formatting the cards on the phone doesn't fix it. My computer sees the cards fine. Everything was fine until I updated to Android 8.0 what a pain the the butt.

Using a SG S7 edge

McDodge34

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
Same band wagon, but I can't get the tray to remove the card to open, looks like its stuck there, luckily, when I restarted my phone, the card was visible again, first thing I've done, connect the phone to PC and I'm backing it up right now as I'm writing this. Brother lost a 64gb microsd card multiple times on his Galaxy S5, the card works just fine if used in card reader on PC, but it keeps getting corrupted when used in his phone, and he tried multiple sd cards, so its not just 1 card, strangely, I never ever experienced this issue before on both my Galaxy S4 and Galaxy S7, just hope its not gonna start on me, or I won't trust Samsung anymore for my next phone in september

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
This, I think, is a common problem. Every Samsung phone that I’ve owned (starting with the S5) has not played well with sd cards. I don’t have a Samsung now, but on my last one that I had (S8) I stopped using sd cards.

McDodge34

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
For me, I never had any bad luck with sd cards yet, crossing my fingers cause I take a crap ton of pictures and videos while on vacations, I usually download them to my laptop (I never travel without it) for backup purposes, thankfully so far it doesn't seem to be a problem anymore, since I restarted the phone yesterday, the card is still there and no problems to report, I guess it may have been misplaced by a wrong move and now its alright.

azdenn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
After updating my Galaxy S8 last week, my SD card, with 1000+ pictures is corrupted. I removed the card and installed it in my old S5, which has not been updated, and it says it is still corrupted. Obviously this is a problem, and one that could have been avoided with a simple warning before the update. But that's probably asking too much.

well, glad to know it wasn't just me... but my 128 gb card began crapping out on my S8+ long before the 8.0 Android update...

McDodge34

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
The whole Samsung Galaxy line has serious problems with sd cards corrupting randomly out of nowhere, thanks for my luck, it never happened to me (knocking on wood), but my brother has lost numerous pictures on his Galaxy S5. I'm due to get a new phone in September, still unsure which brand it will be, I may change to another brand, I need specific things, sd card slot, phone jack (mandatory), ideally a replaceable battery, and 4gb of ram or more so I don't get a slow entry line phone that takes forever to load any apps.

manda sue

Aug 5, 2018
Visit site
I just had the same thing happen to me. I've had a lot of samsung phones and always use an sd card, this is the 1st time it's happened to me. I'm pretty bummed about it - no pc to attempt to read it.

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Guess he was referring to 128gb and 64gb cards here, I don't think we can find 64mb or 128mb microsd cards anymore.

whose to say he didn't have old ones?

I have a 16mb card that I use sometimes to backup SMS convos when factory resetting a phone or moving from one phone to another

mark7914

Jan 19, 2018
Visit site
Some of the music files on the SD card on my S8 won't play. I can see the files, and they used to work, but they do not work now. I wonder if this is the same thing: albeit I've disabled software updates on mine so it's still on the same version it always was.