Horrible photos

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Your know what want ain't busted? Pixel ain't got no card slot, 3.5 jack, or better sounding speakers. Ain't no bustin' that :) :)

I kid in my tone here of course. I do prefer pics from Pixel XL though, but prefer everything else with the 9+.
Which one has better speakers?

I personally don't care about the slot or jack port, but a whole lot of people do and I can see those as being selling points.

One of my friends lives in one of the markets that gets the 128 GB and 256 GB S9+ ... and the 128 GB is apparently only $50 more than the 64 GB, so sort of a no-brainer.

The camera question is sort of difficult, because it matters what kind of photos you take and how good you are at taking those photos. I am not a good photographer, so a lot of the extra feature that some phones have are no good to me - whichever works best as a point and shoot is what I want. In all honesty, and throwing all DXO nonsense out the window - I'm likely to be perfectly happy with either camera. I'm also pretty sure the vast majority of consumers can't tell the difference between photos they take with either phone.

Maknora

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
As predicted based on the reputable reviews the S9+ is going back. I'll leave it at these two selfies. One is the Pixel XL 2 and the other is the S9+. Both in portrait mode.

Does anyone know of a way to remove all the image processing that Samsung and LG do to their photos? I don't like fuzzy looking photos.

View attachment 280648View attachment 280649

It's called beauty shot. Lots of people don't want phones that have such clean images of their face. Many girls I know prefer the fuzzy look that mattes their skin and hate the iPhone X because it doesn't do that. Now before you accuse them that they might be hideous or ugly, they're not.

gazuga6176

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
the pixel2 front cam beats every other front cam out there right now. period. if the camera is your deciding factor, go with Google. their post processing is unreal. not even the most camerathusic tech geeks out there can figure out what makes it so good. if you have the pixel 2 already, hold out for the pixel 3 or wait and see what the other flagship bring to the table this year. I my self have an s9+ coming. it's the over all package for me that's the selling point. dat screen! but I totally agree that the pixel blows the s9 out of the water, at least in auto. I'll be tinkering around on pro mode to see what I can squeeze out if this thing.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
It's called beauty shot. Lots of people don't want phones that have such clean images of their face. Many girls I know prefer the fuzzy look that mattes their skin and hate the iPhone X because it doesn't do that. Now before you accuse them that they might be hideous or ugly, they're not.
I can see the benefit. I just wish I could disable it but still use auto mode. It's literally the only thing I don't like about this phone. Pairs perfectly with all of my Bluetooth accessories and most certainly works flawlessly with my Samsung gear s3 Frontier watch. Pixel XL 2 does not pair well with the watch.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
have you tried out the google camera with the s9+ yet?
Holy cow.... How ridiculous. Third party camera apps I've tried all cut the fuzzy edges filter the Samsung camera applies. I could care less that I lose the built in camera features. They aren't of use to me. Only initial frustration I can imagine is not having the ability to quick launch it.

coolted

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
As predicted based on the reputable reviews the S9+ is going back. I'll leave it at these two selfies. One is the Pixel XL 2 and the other is the S9+. Both in portrait mode.

Does anyone know of a way to remove all the image processing that Samsung and LG do to their photos? I don't like fuzzy looking photos.

View attachment 280648View attachment 280649
You need to shoot in raw made like dslr do so you can get the digital negative suitable for edit in photoshop

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
That's just it... I want to pull out my camera and take a photo. The S9+ doesn't perform this the way I need it to. Here again. I pulled both phones out. Put them both in portrait mode and tapped on my face in the center. Then snapped the photo from arm's length away. Top photo is the Samsung. I don't like my images all Samsung'd.
20180314_081136.jpg00100sPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180314081140827_COVER.jpg

Last edited:

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Do you know what the overall score is? If the Pixel trounces EVERYTHING why did the S9+ get a better overall score? And why did they rate it the best smartphone camera ?

It doesn't trounce the other phones. If you don't count the extra categories the Pixel 2 has better scores. I'm sure both will make 99% of consumers very happy with picture results. The other features on the Samsung that the Pixel lacks will definitely draw more regular people to Samsung.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
That's just it... I want to pull out my camera and take a photo. The S9+ doesn't perform this the way I need it to. Here again. I pulled both phones out. Put them both in portrait mode and tapped on my face in the center. Then snapped the photo from arm's length away. Top photo is the Samsung. I don't like my images all Samsung'd.
View attachment 280720View attachment 280721

The Samsung selfies are surprising bad, if they are consistently coming out like that. I don't have an S9, but the selfies on my Note 8 are much better than those.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
The Samsung selfies are surprising bad, if they are consistently coming out like that. I don't have an S9, but the selfies on my Note 8 are much better than those.
Legitimately... This is the best photo I can get with my S9+. I know it doesn't fix my ugly mug. But I seriously want to like this phone. I have installed the pixel camera apk on my phone to no avail. Unless I can find a camera workaround it's going back. Every photo I take with my S9 + comes out looking filtered.

Once again the front facing camera is the only problem I have with this phone. It is imperative for me though because my girlfriend and I take a lot of selfies. I also take a lot with my dog.

Top photo is S9+ and bottom photo is the Pixel XL 2.

And before everyone says, oh that's an amazing photo! What phone are you currently using?20180314_081123.jpg
156d01640ab6054a1d62c960d9dc584d.jpg

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
That's just a lot of loss of detail. You can really see it in the second set posted.... around the eyes and nose. Details in the mustache and beard are just gone!

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Holy cow.... How ridiculous. Third party camera apps I've tried all cut the fuzzy edges filter the Samsung camera applies. I could care less that I lose the built in camera features. They aren't of use to me. Only initial frustration I can imagine is not having the ability to quick launch it.

I have had my bixby button disabled in my s8 for a while, but before they allowed me to disable the button in biscuit, bxactions was still allowing me to remap it (albeit with the possibility you may see the bixby screen po up briefly). You might be able to remap the bixby button to a camera app of your choice of it work on the s9/+ which may allow a level of quick launch to be available. I haven't really seen any discussion on this in the s8 forums yet.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I took a few side by side pictures with my pixel and quickly noticed the same thing. All the 9+ pictures had that weird lightened, soft look to them. This was out of the rear camera too, mind you. The ffc seemed to just be bad. Also, portrait mode isn't even close. If the scene isn't right, it won't even let you take a portrait pic. Maybe next year, Sammy

kbalaz

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't doubt your experience at all, just whether or not it is statistically normal. That consensus is based on early reprinting of one reviewer's review unit. I have seen the blue tint myself, just not any worse than other comparable devices.

I weighed pros and cons, and the screen issue worried me. I pulled the trigger and got the Pixel 2XL. Is there blue tint? Sure, do I notice it in day to day use? Nope. I very rarely if ever, view my screen at any angle other than straight on. I am so glad I made the decision to get it. I for one hate the oversaturated look that seems to be what everyone loves on the Samsung screen. But that is my preference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress