S9 Plus Pixelated Videos

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Went to a concert last week and noticed all my video was pixelated. My memory card has gotten full and it was using my phone which ended up getting full. I was dumping stuff to my PC when I saw a video from the last concert it was also very bad and pixelated. Parts were great and clear but I checked my video settings and they were on the highest UHD is that why? I know that is why memory card and phone filled up quick but should I just use the standard FHD? I don't know why they were so bad. Never had this problem before on my 7 edge or Note. Was it cause card was so full also? I changed my setting to FHD but my next concert isn't till the 29th so I guess I'll see then. I am hoping it's not my phone. I had my setting on Auto and may have tried Pro too for a song. Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Went to a concert ... very bad and pixelated. Parts were great and clear
This is digital photography. Dark pictures get noisy, which can look like pixelation. A concert stage is usually a combination of very brightly-lit areas and areas that are almost totally black, so you're probably seeing sensor noise in the dark areas.

settings and they were on the highest UHD is that why?
No, that has nothing to do with pixelation.

Never had this problem before on my 7 edge or Note.
You probably never noticed it, or the metering is different, or you never shot dark areas at high ISO.

Was it cause card was so full also?
No, that also has nothing to do with pixelation.

I had my setting on Auto
That could be one cause. Keep the ISO as low as you can. You don't need much sensitivity for a spotlighted performer, and you're not going to get the dynamic range to shoot a scene with a spotlight and dark areas and get a good picture without using film and using tricks to extend the dynamic range of the film. Normal hi-contrast film as about 5-7 f-stops of range, but spotlighted singer to drummer in the shadows might even exceed the 14-15 f-stop range you can force film to. (F-stops are logarithmic, so 1 stop more is twice the light, 2 stops more is 4 times the light - 15 stops is moonless cloudy night to glaring sun.) Keep the ISO as low as you can for the spotlit areas and don't try shooting dark areas. Phone cameras aren't low-light cameras. (If you can't help getting dark areas in the shot, even at maximum zoom, you have 3 options: you can just accept the noise in the dark areas, you can buy a telephoto lens, so you can get 'up close" to what you want to shoot, or you can post-process the video - load it into a PC and use a video editing program to cut what's there to just the spotlit performer.)

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
A tiny sensor and slow lens simply isn’t conducive to less than ideal conditions for cell phone cameras.
Physics is physics and software can try to iron out the shortcomings, but in the end cell phone cameras simply are up to much outside of photos in relatively good conditions

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
This is digital photography. Dark pictures get noisy, which can look like pixelation. A concert stage is usually a combination of very brightly-lit areas and areas that are almost totally black, so you're probably seeing sensor noise in the dark areas.

No, that has nothing to do with pixelation.

You probably never noticed it, or the metering is different, or you never shot dark areas at high ISO.

No, that also has nothing to do with pixelation.

That could be one cause. Keep the ISO as low as you can. You don't need much sensitivity for a spotlighted performer, and you're not going to get the dynamic range to shoot a scene with a spotlight and dark areas and get a good picture without using film and using tricks to extend the dynamic range of the film. Normal hi-contrast film as about 5-7 f-stops of range, but spotlighted singer to drummer in the shadows might even exceed the 14-15 f-stop range you can force film to. (F-stops are logarithmic, so 1 stop more is twice the light, 2 stops more is 4 times the light - 15 stops is moonless cloudy night to glaring sun.) Keep the ISO as low as you can for the spotlit areas and don't try shooting dark areas. Phone cameras aren't low-light cameras. (If you can't help getting dark areas in the shot, even at maximum zoom, you have 3 options: you can just accept the noise in the dark areas, you can buy a telephoto lens, so you can get 'up close" to what you want to shoot, or you can post-process the video - load it into a PC and use a video editing program to cut what's there to just the spotlit performer.)

I know ut I just use regular auto settings and have always gotten good video on my 7 Edge and Note 8 in the same venue same lighting conditions something is wrong. I don't change ISO or any settings I just choose auto and occasionally try Pro so I don't get it. I've just never seen this happen before. I am getting a new bigger memory card and I will put videos back on card and play them on phone but I am playing them on PC don't remember if I watched it on phone before transferring. Maybe it's my 27 inch monitor. But Thanks!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87