S9 double-tap to wake not available in stock settings?

classact

May 2, 2018
Visit site
I just moved to the S9. I came from a lifetime of BlackBerry use, where I got used to the fingerprint sensor in the spacebar to wake the phone.

I often have the device sitting on the desk in front of me. I want to be able use tap and swipe gestures to wake and unlock the phone. I set the security lock to a swipe pattern to make that easy while the device is on the desk. However, it seems there's no way to use double-tap to wake the screen to even get to the swipe pattern -- it seems I have to press the power button on the side of the phone, which is very inconvenient to be doing dozens of times a day versus tapping and swiping.

And I am in business and quite security conscious, so I do need the phone to lock after 5-10 minutes of inactivity and to require a password.

I see that launchers like Nova are supposed to be able to provide the ability to use double-tap to wake the device, though I installed it and felt it out briefly and I'm really just not into all that work and modification just to get things to look "normal" just so I can add that one functionality (not to mention that I looked for it and couldn't even find it in the app, though I assume it must be there from all that I've read).

Is there really no way to use the stock settings to get it to be able to do that? My only choice is to use Nova or something similar? Or buy an S10 or Note 10 that has the fingerprint sensor on the display? From what I read, there really is no choice, but I thought I'd ask here first before doing anything drastic.

Thanks!

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't know of any way to add the DOUBLE TAP TO WAKE action, on a phone that does not either have it baked into the kernel (ex. LG) or one that has root and kernel editing access.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
S9 has double tap to wake it's in settings>advance features>motion and gestures.

Nova launcher will allow this also with more customization

classact

May 2, 2018
Visit site
S9 has double tap to wake it's in settings>advance features>motion and gestures.

Nova launcher will allow this also with more customization

I'm not seeing that option in the stock settings. Note that I have Android 9 running on it.

Here are the choices I have under Settings > Advanced features > Motions and gestures (all of which have sliders for off or on):

- Lift to wake
- Smart stay
- Smart alert
- Easy mute
- Direct call
- One-handed mode
- Finger sensor gestures
- Palm swipe to capture
- Swipe to call or send messages

And nothing inside any of those choices gives me that option.

This is so much of an inconvenience for me I was on the phone with Verizon sales and the store today asking about buying a Note 10 -- solely for the on-display fingerprint sensor. That's a lot of money just for this one challenge. I'd sure love to find a solution that lets me stay with the phone I own.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm not seeing that option in the stock settings. Note that I have Android 9 running on it.

Here are the choices I have under Settings > Advanced features > Motions and gestures (all of which have sliders for off or on):

- Lift to wake
- Smart stay
- Smart alert
- Easy mute
- Direct call
- One-handed mode
- Finger sensor gestures
- Palm swipe to capture
- Swipe to call or send messages

And nothing inside any of those choices gives me that option.

This is so much of an inconvenience for me I was on the phone with Verizon sales and the store today asking about buying a Note 10 -- solely for the on-display fingerprint sensor. That's a lot of money just for this one challenge. I'd sure love to find a solution that lets me stay with the phone I own.
Ok some carrier might remove or put another place , try in settings then type in the top search bar double tap to wake see if anything?

classact

May 2, 2018
Visit site
Thanks. I just tried that search at your suggestion. It found nothing.

An article I found said the S9 dropped that functionality: https://www.techjunkie.com/enable-double-tap-wake-sleep-samsung-galaxy-s9-s9/. Ratings on the Double-Tap app they mention are pretty lousy and I'm not anxious to go there.

Maybe it's in Nova but just I paid $4.99 last night for Nove Prime (Pro? or whatever they're calling the paid version lately) and looked in the choices and just did not see it. Maybe I need to look again.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks. I just tried that search at your suggestion. It found nothing.

An article I found said the S9 dropped that functionality: https://www.techjunkie.com/enable-double-tap-wake-sleep-samsung-galaxy-s9-s9/. Ratings on the Double-Tap app they mention are pretty lousy and I'm not anxious to go there.

Maybe it's in Nova but just I paid $4.99 last night for Nove Prime (Pro? or whatever they're calling the paid version lately) and looked in the choices and just did not see it. Maybe I need to look again.
Nova has it in settings under gestures and Imput

classact

May 2, 2018
Visit site
Nova has it in settings under gestures and Imput

I don't know what I might be missing here but I'm in Nova Launcher Prime 6.2.3 and it simply is not available. It's not in Gestures > Double-tap (I can set that to Lock the phone or do all sorts of other things, but nothing about Wake is there whatsoever), and in fact if I go into Settings or Settings > Gestures and do a search in the bar at the top for "wake" it turns up absolutely nothing (while a search on "Swipe" or any other common term turns up plenty).

Looks like it just is not available.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't know what I might be missing here but I'm in Nova Launcher Prime 6.2.3 and it simply is not available. It's not in Gestures > Double-tap (I can set that to Lock the phone or do all sorts of other things, but nothing about Wake is there whatsoever), and in fact if I go into Settings or Settings > Gestures and do a search in the bar at the top for "wake" it turns up absolutely nothing (while a search on "Swipe" or any other common term turns up plenty).

Looks like it just is not available.
It's in settings of Nova ..I show with arrowsScreenshot_20191115-174646__01.jpegScreenshot_20191115-174710__01.jpeg

classact

May 2, 2018
Visit site
Go to settings

Hit the search at top
Hit wake up and select double tap.
Touch it and it will show you the switch to turn on.

We must have different versions of something because that's just not there for me. If "wake up" was going to yield a search result, so would "wake" -- and now I've tried both seaches anyway and neither yields any result.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Exactly, Nova gestures will only work on the home screen. I remember that Samsung included a double tap to wake feature in some update but I'm not sure if it's still available. Can you find 'Tap to Show' in the Always on Display settings?

classact

May 2, 2018
Visit site
Exactly, Nova gestures will only work on the home screen. I remember that Samsung included a double tap to wake feature in some update but I'm not sure if it's still available. Can you find 'Tap to Show' in the Always on Display settings?

I have "Tap to Show" turned on. All that does is show me the Always On display. I'm not seeing anything about waking the device in this module.

I have these settings set at present:

Always on Display
Tap to Show = On
Home button and clock
Tap to show - show for 10 seconds

No "wake" at all in there as far as I can see.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have "Tap to Show" turned on. All that does is show me the Always On display. I'm not seeing anything about waking the device in this module.

I have these settings set at present:

Always on Display
Tap to Show = On
Home button and clock
Tap to show - show for 10 seconds

No "wake" at all in there as far as I can see.
Your phone doesn't the tap to display only AOD...for what your looking for to get in easy I would suggest smart Lock with stays unlocked while on your body or trusted place or keep your lock screen timeout longer.

Even if you had tap to display it wouldn't function how you want it because it won't unlock the phone or use face unlock with Iris scanner