Double tap to wake doesn't always work

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
Double tap to lock works 100% of the time, however double tap to wake only works if the phone has been active recently; if not, it requires two double taps to wake it. This occurs regardless of screen protector type and even without one.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which phone do you have? Some phones just require a single tap, while others require a double tap.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
My experience is that taps of any sort sometimes do not work if using the very tip of the finger but need to use a bit lower down where the fingerprint lives. My assumption is that there is not enough natural oils / moisture just below where the finger nail is.

Reactions: B. Diddy and NJMike

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
My experience is that taps of any sort sometimes do not work if using the very tip of the finger but need to use a bit lower down where the fingerprint lives. My assumption is that there is not enough natural oils / moisture just below where the finger nail is.
I will have to try that then.

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
Hey this actually seemed to have done it, thanks!

Reactions: gomezz

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I moved this from the Android 13 forum to the Galaxy A Series forum, since it's more likely to be a device-specific issue rather than a general Android 13 issue.

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
I think it stopped working with that method again, so back to square one.

One thing I always notice, is that this only happens if the phone has not been touched in a long time (think 10+ minutes we'll say), because it responds 100% of the time to the double-tap wake no matter the intensity or speed if it was active.

I had disabled Doze Mode as a suggestion from another topic I created on here, which is the only thing I could think of that makes the most sense as to why the phone doesn't always respond if it hasn't been touched after a while.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I think it stopped working with that method again, so back to square one.

One thing I always notice, is that this only happens if the phone has not been touched in a long time (think 10+ minutes we'll say), because it responds 100% of the time to the double-tap wake no matter the intensity or speed if it was active.

I had disabled Doze Mode as a suggestion from another topic I created on here, which is the only thing I could think of that makes the most sense as to why the phone doesn't always respond if it hasn't been touched after a while.
Have you tried changing the speed of your taps? Have you also tried different parts of the screen? I've had phones that were particular about those things 😉

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
Have you tried changing the speed of your taps? Have you also tried different parts of the screen? I've had phones that were particular about those things 😉
I am trying to do it a bit slower and it seems to be a bit better that way. I just find it odd that it's only for waking the phone; any speed tap works for locking it.

Reactions: J Dubbs