Long delay between pressing power button, and screen waking?

anon9137560

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Basically, my phone takes too long to wake the screen when I press the power button. It's at least twice as long as my friend's iPhone 4S, and at least twice as long as my old N8.

I researched this before asking, and the only thing I could find was a tip to turn off the S-Voice long button press that could be causing the screen to take up to two seconds to wake from sleep. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have this option in my Settings, or if I do, it's not under the S-Voice setting. I tried disabling S-Voice completely in Application Manager, but no change.

Anything else I can try? Is this just a drawback of AMOLED displays?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

Does it take too long in comparison to another S3, or just too long in comparison to the devices that you listed?

My S3 takes about one second between the Power button press and the screen illumination - I've never found it to be an issue.

The issue with S Voice normally only affects the Home button response time, so if you don't use it to turn the screen on then you don't need to worry about it. (I have S Voice disabled and it takes about one second between the Home button press and the screen illumination - YMMV.)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

anon9137560

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Hey,

Sorry, forgot I'd started this thread!

Typically, it takes about 2 seconds for the screen to wake. I usually press the Home button, but the delay exists if I use the Power button too. I have S-Voice disabled entirely in Application Manager.

Sometimes, it can take longer for the screen to wake. For example, when I tested it just now, by pressing the Power button, it took more like 2.5-3 seconds. I don't know anyone with an S3 so can't compare. It doesn't take 1 second though, except on the rare occasion, and that's usually when I wake the screen within seconds of it turning itself off.

I use the PIN lock screen. I've got a funny feeling it may have woken quicker when it was on the default setting of Swipe, but I can't use that for business reasons. I've disabled all animations using the Developer options.

Is it possible some of the items I've disabled in Application Manager are responsible? I used a list from XDA (can't post links yet, but a DuckDuckGo search for, "list of safe to disable items android s3" should link to the thread where I found this as the first result) to determine which to disable, and disabled none that were marked as, "Caution," or, "No".

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm also using a PIN lockscreen, and have these few apps disabled
d3940147060be999b3cfa1bf588d4a32.jpg
I am running a special build of 4.3 (rooted) which runs on the 4.1.2 bootloader (I didn't want to deal with Knox), but it should be pretty close to the stock 4.3 firmware.

Sounds like you need to perform a Factory Reset and then before you load up your usual apps see how it performs - I'm guessing that some app or combination of apps is causing that delay.

fasthelp

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
i just recently had this problem, i thought it was a virus then too many apps...no...the solution is power down ...pull out battery ...inspect your card inserts sim card and storage device... my sim card was falling apart...so i replaced it, no more more delays....COOOOL....

Milap Rajgor

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Hello... I found a quick fix.... That solved my this issue...
--> power off
-->remove all type of card
--> insert cards
--> turn on...
Solved... Hope it helpa..

Milap Rajgor

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Hello... I found a quick fix.... That solved my this issue...
--> power off
-->remove all type of card
--> insert cards
--> turn on...
Solved... Hope it helps..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress