Bad Stuttering with 1280x720 mp4 video?

haints

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Just got a refurbished 10.1 from Walmart. Haven't updated the OS yet or done anything else. But I'm dismayed to see very bad stuttering while attempting to run an mp4 video with a res of 1280x720 .

What is the deal? If I root and run a custom rom will I get better performance? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!!

haints

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for responding!

So I think someone asked this already, but no problem rooting once you've updated, right? That would be my only concern with going that route.

haints

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Well I updated the OS and at best it made only a slight difference ... still stuttering with mp4. I'm going to try a .mov file to see if that makes any difference ...

haints

May 9, 2012
Visit site
No luck with mov files either?

One of the main reasons I bought this was to watch videos. I'm pretty disapointed with its sluggishness. I read several reviews and none mentioned this. Guess I shouldn't trust reviews ...

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I could be wrong but i think this is a general issue with the Gtab 10.1 devices. I have the WiFi version and watching transformers 2 on it is ok but when i play some HD stuff i have recorded it stutters as well.
Playing youtube in HD is a joke on the device.
I am hopefull that ICS will fix the issue. If not its going up for sale and ill try my luck with a Tab 2.

HawaiianLaker

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I have no issues with youtube HD, but I am also rooted and running galaxy task 14 slim. you can also try using 3rd party video players like dice player and bs player.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yea I just tried playing HD movies with mine and it stuttered pretty bad :/

I'm searching for a solution, I'll post back if I do find one. Right now the only thing I can think of would be installing a custom ICS ROM or just hold out for the official ICS update.

HawaiianLaker

May 12, 2010
Visit site

I'm searching for a solution, I'll post back if I do find one. Right now the only thing I can think of would be installing a custom ICS ROM or just hold out for the official ICS update.

Or format the videos using handbrake or something along those lines.

anon(549921)

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any issues with You Tube HD either when it comes to playing movies or TV shows stored on my Tab I go with avi files as they take up less space and the image quality is fine.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Im a little dissapointed that the WiFi US Versions dont have ICS by now.

Honis#WP

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I ran into the problem when trying to play my own 720p videos.

I got BS Player and Dice Player. Both have plugins that take advantage of the Tegra hardware. I think the default player only runs off the CPU (can anyone confirm/disprove this?)

With those 2 players, it's still hit or miss on which codec is supported by the hardware. My 1080p videos are quiet stuttery but mostly watchable if there isn't a lot of motion on the screen. I get slightly better frame rates if I watch the video off a network share instead of off the internal drive. I use ES File Explorer to access the network share on my PC. I've never done straight benchmarking to but numbers behind all of this, it's just what I've noticed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress