Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 Battery Won't Charge Without Reboot

cgr45

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
No good, it stopped at 94% and stayed there for at least 7 hours. Unplug and plug in again and now it's topping off.

So the factory reset didn't solve it.

This is exactly what happens to me. Gets to 95% and it stops. I have to turn it of for it to fully charge. When I turn it on and start using it it goes from 100% to 90% in 5 minutes. I should had kept the LG GPad

Posted via Android Central App

jdillworth

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Just hit 100%! :)

This is my first attempt after contacting Samsung and learning of the key combo reset (Press and hold: Volume Up + Home + Power (in that order)).

If I can hit 100% 3 days in a row, I'm calling it fixed.

... I should had kept the LG GPad

Like others, I think this is likely software. No one gets software right, so while I'm very frustrated I have to cut them some slack. Samsung released a herd of new tablets this year so far. It can't be easy to get everything right.

LG G pad was in the running when I bought the Galaxy. I don't know why LG released almost the same time as Samsung but with the previous generation Snapdragon (maybe they just missed some timing window?). For the record I liked the G Pad software and design better. Just couldn't ignore the specs and price.

laestrella

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue except my tablet after a while will get to 100% (if i constantly unplug and plug it in) but then after a few minutes after being on will suddenly drop 10-40%. Or the percentage will drop at some random time during the day.

This is frustrating and I just want to throw it back at Samsung.

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I drained my battery down to 10% as what was suggested in the other link I posted, and charged it all the way up to 100% and now my device is reporting the correct battery percentage. I think there's a bug with the way Samsung's software is reporting the correct "full" battery timings.

It hasn't happened since and charging it every night, brings it back up to 100%.

gman16000

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
"(Press and hold: Volume Up + Home + Power (in that order))."

Thank you!! I tried everything. This worked!!! And it did not blow away anything on my tablet.

jdillworth

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
After my next charge, it only reached 95%. Sent tablet back to Amazon today.

I may get the same model again. It doesn't seem this is a widespread problem. Also considering the Tab S 8.4.

jomarr

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Glad to hear it didn't turn into a major problem. Assuming it's software, hopefully an update will resolve it 100%.

Thanks!

Hey. I think I spoke too early. Mine didn't charge fully yesterday. I charged i overnight and it only went until 95%. I didn't remove the plug for another 4 hours ad it's still 95%. Not sure what the problem is but I think I need to visit a Samsung store.

laestrella

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I've found that mine will charge fully now of I turn it off to charge. Just to make sure it's at 100 I unplug it first and then plug it back in and make sure it still says 100 before turning it on. Still very annoying.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

SAMmarked1

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
What will help is turning WIFI, GPS, Bluetooth antennas off for the night. Remember most apps are running n trying to do upgrades at night which is why your battery is lower.

Posted via Android Central App

jdillworth

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Due to this charging issue I had returned my Tab Pro 8.4 to amazon. They were awesome, they took it back without the original packaging and refunded my money before the package even got there.

I decided to get the same model again. Charges to 100% every time. I recommend returning your device if you're having this issue or getting it repaired under warranty. This seems to be a rare defect.

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Due to this charging issue I had returned my Tab Pro 8.4 to amazon. They were awesome, they took it back without the original packaging and refunded my money before the package even got there.

I decided to get the same model again. Charges to 100% every time. I recommend returning your device if you're having this issue or getting it repaired under warranty. This seems to be a rare defect.

I was having similar problems and, based on preliminary tests, my problem appears to be related to power saving mode. I have no problem getting to 100% charge if power saving mode is turned OFF, but if power saving mode is turned on I can charge for six hours and the level only changes from, e.g., 74% to 87%. My charging level also seems to drop faster when power saving mode is turned on. Basically, power saving mode seems to be doing the reverse of what its name implies.

I wonder if your problem was related to power saving mode, and wonder whether others have similar problems with power saving mode.

Jim

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
What solved my issue was using my Tablet down to around 10-12% remaining, and then fully charging it. Haven't had any issues since I did this weeks ago.

mpayne2k

May 5, 2013
Visit site
This happened only the first time I tried to charge my tab. The battery indicated not charging so I rebooted the tab and tried again. Second time worked and I haven't had an issue since.

shervom

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
hi everyone, I'm new here. Have been using this model since mid-April. Loved my phone but the charging problem is annoying me so much.
Initially the charging was fast and good. I love the 2A output that charges up the phone fast. But subsequently, it started charging like a snail. I thought it was problem with my charger so I bought an OEM 2A output charger. It went back to working fine for about a month, and problem came back again.
I have experimented with different power socket, and now have resorted to switching off the phone to charge while I sleep. Then again, it doesn't get to a 100% charge after my 8h of sleep.

Even then the other issue I have is that the power is draining too fast.

I've tried the vol+home+power reset. Now I'm going to back up all my data and do a factory reset. And be more selective with the apps I install.

Anyone has success after a factory reset?

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
hi everyone, I'm new here. Have been using this model since mid-April. Loved my phone but the charging problem is annoying me so much.
Initially the charging was fast and good. I love the 2A output that charges up the phone fast. But subsequently, it started charging like a snail. I thought it was problem with my charger so I bought an OEM 2A output charger. It went back to working fine for about a month, and problem came back again.
I have experimented with different power socket, and now have resorted to switching off the phone to charge while I sleep. Then again, it doesn't get to a 100% charge after my 8h of sleep.

Even then the other issue I have is that the power is draining too fast.

I've tried the vol+home+power reset. Now I'm going to back up all my data and do a factory reset. And be more selective with the apps I install.

Anyone has success after a factory reset?

Are you talking about the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 or a different device? Phone? Or is it the model that has sim card?

shervom

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
yes, it's samsung galaxy tab pro 8.4.
sent the phone to the service centre. they only replaced my charger & cable, and upgraded the software (from the original that came with the factory reset.
not very useful. i'm not convinced.

Are you talking about the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 or a different device? Phone? Or is it the model that has sim card?

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem. Tried the usual tricks; run down the battery to 4%, reboot, etc.. none work. It will charge fine for a cycle or 2, then do the stall charging issue.

shervom

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
i'm convinced it's a battery problem. mine drains a little too fast as well.
let me use it till the end of this week cos i am coordinating an important event and can't do without a phone. then i shall go back and ask them to look at it again.
Guess what... when I was at the service center, both the customers on my left & right of my counter were also having charging issues with their Samsung phones.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
i'm convinced it's a battery problem. mine drains a little too fast as well.
let me use it till the end of this week cos i am coordinating an important event and can't do without a phone. then i shall go back and ask them to look at it again.
Guess what... when I was at the service center, both the customers on my left & right of my counter were also having charging issues with their Samsung phones.

The tab pro is a tablet not a phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38