Screen Protector Necessary?

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi to All!

I just replaced my Asus Tablet from 2011 with a Samsung Tab S3. :D My Asus had Gorilla Glass 2 & I never applied a screen protector. After all this time, the screen looks great, no scratches.

When I bought my Galaxy S5 Phone, I had a self healing screen protector applied before I left the store. Glad I did!

So do you put screen protectors on your tablet? Was I just lucky with my Asus that nothing happened to it? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

KiwiGrrl

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I generally don't bother with tablets - they're in a cover and not subjected to the same abuse as my phones (thrown in and out of a pocket or bag etc). I have no scratches on my S3 and I've had it since not long after release.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm with @KiwiGrrl I put a Zagg on my Acer tablet way back when, but I never used one on my Galaxy Note 10.1 from 2014 and I don't think I'll put one on my Tab S3. My Note 10.1's screen has only one small scratch on it, and it's hardly noticeable. I have a zip up case for my tablet, when I'm mobile it goes in there.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to both KiwiGrrl & hallux! I so appreciate you both taking the time to answer. I tend to get a little OCD about things, so this will help keep me from going overboard or worrying constantly. I can move on to looking for a case for travel.

Thanks again! =)

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I can move on to looking for a case for travel.

Yeah, I'm looking for a case myself. I'm not sure what I want. I have my eye on (it's actually in my cart on Amazon and is cheap - $9.00) a silicone case as it will still work with the zip-up case I have already repurposed but I wonder if I wouldn't benefit from a folio cover.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I'm looking for a case myself.

I am actually thinking close to the same as you. I have a padded 11.5" Wenger Sleeve which zips that I used for my retired Asus & was looking for another case that I could slip inside. I really wanted a silicone case but decided I'd be safer with the folio. That should provide a little extra protection on both sides & if I actually have to do some 'real work' then the TabS3 can be positioned accordingly.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
@BerryBubbles I ordered 2 cases (for less than $20 combined, I'm good with that) for different circumstances. For general every-day use, I grabbed a folio style case. For using the device at the gym (reading magazines on the elliptical) I grabbed a silicone case.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6078619
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6078619

I'll have them this week.

hallux,

Those both look great! Very reasonable prices. :D

The folio appearance is really sleek & has some corner protection. I have been considering the keyboard cover, however, as I sometimes have to actually 'work' on a mobile device. (Had to prepare a payroll once on my Galaxy s5. Ugh!) I don't think the keyboard cover provides much protection, as the edges of the tablet are really exposed. I like the look of the folio you picked better.

I did pick up the silicone case from your link. I'm pretty excited about that.

Thanks for your help, I REALLY do appreciate it!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad to have helped. I'll have the folio style case tomorrow and the silicone one on Wed. I agree about the keyboard cover, and some of the other folio style cases were similar to that. One of the other ones I looked at had complaints about the attachment magnets coming out, this one did not have those complaints. I wasn't horribly concerned with having a way to hold the pen with the device, I don't often use it.

KiwiGrrl

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the folio and it's my daily driver. I do have the keyboard case, and use it maybe twice a month. As soon as I'm home, it's off and the other one is on.

Fintie make a couple that have a pen holder attached, but they add quite a bit of bulk. I have one and have used it a couple of times for travel (thrown in a motorcycle saddlebag), but I always go back to the folio style as soon as I can.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I got my Moko folio-style cover tonight. So far, seems like a nice case, for $11. Seems to be easy to remove once you find the trick to it. I like the cloth on the inside, to help keep the glass clean and protect it some from impact some. It also provides decent protection on the corners yet also makes the SD slot accessible with the case on (some don't do this).

I get the silicone one tomorrow (hopefully).

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I may have to get a folio & the keyboard. Then I can just change it out for what ever the situation calls for as both of you are.

Best Buy has the keyboard cover on sale now for $64.99. That helps. :)

I saw one of the Fintie cases (online) with the pen slot, didn't realize it was a little more bulky. Good to Know!

Amazing that there's actually an opening for the SD card on the Moko. Good to know also!

You two have been very helpful Thanks!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
@BerryBubbles here's the cut out for the micro sd slot. For the $11 this car cost, it was a good buy, I'm happy with it so far and it doesn't add much bulk to the device. Anxiously awaiting UPS delivering the silicone case.

And, yes, that's some OLD tech in the background, an old Panasonic portable tape player...
217a59bbf223bed2af702fc1487ae03b.jpg

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I have the folio and it's my daily driver. I do have the keyboard case, and use it maybe twice a month. As soon as I'm home, it's off and the other one is on.

Fintie make a couple that have a pen holder attached, but they add quite a bit of bulk. I have one and have used it a couple of times for travel (thrown in a motorcycle saddlebag), but I always go back to the folio style as soon as I can.

Thank You for your response, it's truly appreciated! I purchased the Fintie pen holder. It's great, nice elastic band. That should help me not misplace the pen! I get a little preoccupied at times. :) Still deciding on the keyboard cover, but decided on a folio as both You & hallux seem to enjoy that style.

-----

@BerryBubbles here's the cut out for the micro sd slot. For the $11 this car cost, it was a good buy, I'm happy with it so far and it doesn't add much bulk to the device. Anxiously awaiting UPS delivering the silicone case.

And, yes, that's some OLD tech in the background, an old Panasonic portable tape player...

After seeing the Panasonic, I don't feel so bad for having a Sony Walkman...somewhere. :D

Thanks for posting the picture of the folio. I ordered one & it finally arrived safely after traveling back & forth across the country, apparently on the scenic route. I really like the case, interesting texture. The grip is very comfortable & there is more protection on the corners that the keyboard cover. Also enjoying the silicone case which I use when I read, as it doesn't slide around.

Thanks again for all your help. The recommendations were excellent.

Kizznyc

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Go for a matte screen guard I can personally guarantee that my unit fell multiple times and so far nothing happened even the scartches on the protector heal after a while