Galaxy Watch 4 bricking after update

Toto39

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Wonderful, I already have that update. I guess I'm about to find out how long this can go without a reboot.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Wonderful, I already have that update. I guess I'm about to find out how long this can go without a reboot.

I just checked and the bride has it, too. I told her to not power down the watch under any circumstances.

Toto39

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm curious how widespread this is and how far along Samsung is to fixing the issue. Updates are usually pretty infrequent on the watches.

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious how widespread this is and how far along Samsung is to fixing the issue. Updates are usually pretty infrequent on the watches.

There are lots of people on Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyWatch?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share ) reporting that their GW4 has bricked after the last update. It seems to happen after the phone was powered down for a restart or has powered off due to low battery. Don't power down your GW4' or let the battery die.

Sent from my SM-S908U using AC Forums mobile app

Toto39

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I checked reddit and saw the numerous brickings. I'll just have to watch my battery levels and make sure I don't let it run dry.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Yikes!! I just rebooted my 4 classic this morning ... Checked my software version and I'm on this build. Guess I got lucky.

I have had a few instances where my watch becomes completely unresponsive for a good little bit. Hoping mine survives long enough for another firmware update LOL

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
It hasn't affected every GW4 just enough to consider that is a problem with the latest update. There has been speculation that the GW4's that seem to be affected are ones that were manufactured after Aug 2021 (if I remember correctly).

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
It hasn't affected every GW4 just enough to consider that is a problem with the latest update. There has been speculation that the GW4's that seem to be affected are ones that were manufactured after Aug 2021 (if I remember correctly).

any clue on how to read the model/serial number and determine when it was manufactured? (if the post-August 21 manufacture info is accurate)

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
any clue on how to read the model/serial number and determine when it was manufactured? (if the post-August 21 manufacture info is accurate)
Here is one reddit thread where it mentions that it seems to affect watches depending on when they were manufactured....

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyWatc...ndroidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

In that thread is this link describing how to determine when your watch was manufactured...

https://en.tab-tv.com/samsung-phone-serial-number-2001-2020-decode-explained/

BUT, this is only speculation at this point, NOT DEFINITE. So I wouldn't restart your GW4 or let the battery die until Samsung releases the fix.

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Here is one reddit thread where it mentions that it seems to affect watches depending on when they were manufactured....

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyWatc...ndroidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

In that thread is this link describing how to determine when your watch was manufactured...

BUT, this is only speculation at this point, NOT DEFINITE. So I wouldn't restart your GW4 or let the battery die until Samsung releases the fix.

Oh no...I'm diving in head first based 100% on your advice and information. Damn the torpedoes, etc. etc.

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site

btw, the serial numbers on the Watch 4 are not consistent with the same on a Samsung phone. so the referenced chart does not apply. not really worried about it since I'll just wait for a fix.

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
btw, the serial numbers on the Watch 4 are not consistent with the same on a Samsung phone. so the referenced chart does not apply. not really worried about it since I'll just wait for a fix.
Hmmm, interesting. My GW5's s/n follows the same pattern. According to the chart, if it is in fact accurate info, then 4th & 5th digits from the left are the manufacture date. The last six digits would be the serial #.

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Hmmm, interesting. My GW5's s/n follows the same pattern. According to the chart, if it is in fact accurate info, then 4th & 5th digits from the left are the manufacture date. The last six digits would be the serial #.

no month number in my W4 s/n...there is no month 0 and it's in the 6th position for me

mr neutron

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, my GW4 bricked after the update and power recycle last week. Didn’t see the warnings until too late. Contacted Samsung 3 times. Their solution was to send in watch for repair, estimated cost $90. Sorry Samsung, nfw. Pondering what to do next.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, my GW4 bricked after the update and power recycle last week. Didn’t see the warnings until too late. Contacted Samsung 3 times. Their solution was to send in watch for repair, estimated cost $90. Sorry Samsung, nfw. Pondering what to do next.
Oh, that sucks and is a pretty response from Samsung.

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Contact them again. Make sure to let them know that it is now a well known issue that Samsung is aware of and recognizing. They should honor any repairs that are necessary.

mr neutron

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Forgot to mention the other Samsung solution:
Trade in GW4 for GW5. But one of their trade in criteria states that the watch must power on for a $150 credit towards a new GW5. Well, the GW4 is bricked because of the latest Samsung update. DEAD. IT DOESNT TURN ON. So, no credit for me. Must pay full price for new GW5.
Um, no thanks Samsung.