don't power off your galaxy watch 4 after update

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
and my bride was on the update that was bricking watches, did the fix update and working great. this is insane.
That's horrible. Makes no sense that it works for some & bricks others.
:(
I was shocked also. I wonder if the update didn't download for some reason. He says from what he has read Samsung has you send the watch in for repair on bricked watches. They must be able to go in and reset the software.

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

mr neutron

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I was shocked also. I wonder if the update didn't download for some reason. He says from what he has read Samsung has you send the watch in for repair on bricked watches. They must be able to go in and reset the software.

My GVI3 bricked watch was sent in to Samsung for a promised 5 day turn-around repair (which was subsequently cancelled due to lack of parts availability). After a total cluster **** from Samsung they offered to refund purchase price. This offer was later rescinded by Samsung. Now Samsung is returning the unrepaired watch to me and “will contact me in the future”.
Not holding my breath.

Last edited:

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, guess I'll add my watch to the bricked list. I was on the GVI3 software and knew about the flaw so I was just planning to keep it powered till it is sorted out.,.......that is until it crashed and I had to force shut down. Now it is a brick. Trying to use the samsung chat here in canada but it won't work and I have no idea what to do now. Fcking samsung.

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site

the first thing that happened when I downloaded the new update was the watch rebooted to install the new update. I was very concerned that the act of rebooting (before the new software was installed fully) would brick the watch. this whole thing is awful for those who own a GW4.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
the first thing that happened when I downloaded the new update was the watch rebooted to install the new update. I was very concerned that the act of rebooting (before the new software was installed fully) would brick the watch. this whole thing is awful for those who own a GW4.

Yep there really is no excuse for it :(

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
There are some that are reporting on Reddit that their watch was bricked when trying to install the latest "fix" update and believe it is because their watch rebooted before the update was installed. Is Samsung really this unaware & careless to not realize that their fix might also brick watches.

And it absurd Samsung's response to people with bricked watches; some are reporting that Samsung offered them $75 to trade it in for GW5, some are offered $150 to trade it in, some are offered more to trade in, some are being given a full refund, some are given free repairs, some are given free replacements. It seems like Samsung reps are trained to offer the least helpful solution first in hopes the customer will be happy with that (and some just accept it) but if the person complains and argues enough, they will up the offer. Samsung should offer only three solutions; repair the watch for free, replace the watch for free or give a full refund. That's it.

It almost seems like they are pulling an iPhone game of let me give you an update that ruins your phone battery life so that you will buy our newest phone.

After dealing with them on the latest order of the flip 4 and seeing what's happening with the GW4, I have lost faith in Samsung's customer service.

Sent from my SM-S908U using AC Forums mobile app

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Very interesting that on the Samsung Members forum, moderators are deleting posts if someone reports their watch 4 was bricked due to the update. They do have a post to announce the upcoming fix and warning to not let your GW4 power down because a "few" customers have had a problem but that's it. They do not want their customers to know how widespread this problem is nor do they want customers to know how they are accommodating those that are affected.

It does make sense that they would do this because, like the Note 9 fiasco, they don't want to hurt sales. But it's how they handle it that is going to hurt sales. If they don't replace, repair or refund to make it right, that is what makes a difference to consumers, imo. I am definitely rethinking buying Samsung products; not because of glitches in their products here & there but solely because of my experiences with their customer support and now watching others' experiences.

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Very interesting that on the Samsung Members forum, moderators are deleting posts if someone reports their watch 4 was bricked due to the update. They do have a post to announce the upcoming fix and warning to not let your GW4 power down because a "few" customers have had a problem but that's it. They do not want their customers to know how widespread this problem is nor do they want customers to know how they are accommodating those that are affected.

It does make sense that they would do this because, like the Note 9 fiasco, they don't want to hurt sales. But it's how they handle it that is going to hurt sales. If they don't replace, repair or refund to make it right, that is what makes a difference to consumers, imo. I am definitely rethinking buying Samsung products; not because of glitches in their products here & there but solely because of my experiences with their customer support and now watching others' experiences.

was your Members post deleted? I thought it was very well-done.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
There are some that are reporting on Reddit that their watch was bricked when trying to install the latest "fix" update and believe it is because their watch rebooted before the update was installed. Is Samsung really this unaware & careless to not realize that their fix might also brick watches.

And it absurd Samsung's response to people with bricked watches; some are reporting that Samsung offered them $75 to trade it in for GW5, some are offered $150 to trade it in, some are offered more to trade in, some are being given a full refund, some are given free repairs, some are given free replacements. It seems like Samsung reps are trained to offer the least helpful solution first in hopes the customer will be happy with that (and some just accept it) but if the person complains and argues enough, they will up the offer. Samsung should offer only three solutions; repair the watch for free, replace the watch for free or give a full refund. That's it.

It almost seems like they are pulling an iPhone game of let me give you an update that ruins your phone battery life so that you will buy our newest phone.

After dealing with them on the latest order of the flip 4 and seeing what's happening with the GW4, I have lost faith in Samsung's customer service.

Most have lost faith in Samsung customer support ages ago.

I'm ok with 2 options, fix for free or replace for free. I don't think a refund is necessary. Personally they should just offer free replacement. I could also see a option to a discounted upgrade to watch 5 if you want to. So 3 options

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Most have lost faith in Samsung customer support ages ago.

I'm ok with 2 options, fix for free or replace for free. I don't think a refund is necessary. Personally they should just offer free replacement. I could also see a option to a discounted upgrade to watch 5 if you want to. So 3 options

this is what's so strange to me. I've had to deal with CS a few times over the past couple of years and have had nothing but a very positive experience. I've never had to fight for anything. it's almost as if they drop everything to handle my problem/situation (even problems of my own making). and trust me...I'm not special. does anyone know if CS is based in the US for N. American customers?

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
What is happening for you all when you go to samsung customer support online or try chat? For me here in Canada if I go to chat to report my dead 4, it has a footnote and a paragraph that reads "if you are inquiring about your galaxy watch 4 issues due to software update please take your watch to the nearest service center".
Has anyone done this, and is whatever they do covered by warranty? Or is Samsung just pawning us off to pay for a repair. My closest repair place is Mobile Klinic in my city but I am NOT paying for a repair of my watch that is under warranty and only bricked because of Samsungs own software update. .

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
What is happening for you all when you go to samsung customer support online or try chat? For me here in Canada if I go to chat to report my dead 4, it has a footnote and a paragraph that reads "if you are inquiring about your galaxy watch 4 issues due to software update please take your watch to the nearest service center".
Has anyone done this, and is whatever they do covered by warranty? Or is Samsung just pawning us off to pay for a repair. My closest repair place is Mobile Klinic in my city but I am NOT paying for a repair of my watch that is under warranty and only bricked because of Samsungs own software update. .
I don't chat. I call.

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
was your Members post deleted? I thought it was very well-done.
Thanks! It depends on which one. But yes, the entire thread posted by a person who's GW4 got bricked after the update was deleted. And in my search, there is not one single post about a GW4 being bricked, even though I've seen them being posted. The only post relating to the bricking problem is the one posted by a Samsung Moderator. They definitely don't want people to be aware how prevalent the problem is. And I believe they don't want people to be aware of all the various solutions (or non-solutions) Samsung has offered to fix the situation.

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
On Reddit, people are offered anything from repairs for free, $75 to trade into GW5, replacements for free to $0 help. I think the most frequent is the offer of $75 trade-in. Usually if the person pushes they will get better results.

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
On Reddit, people are reporting that they are offered anything from repairs for free, $75 to trade into GW5, replacements for free to $0 help. I think the most frequent is the offer of $75 trade-in. Usually if the person pushes they will get better results.

thecolonel62

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm being offered the GVK4 update which I believe is not the bricking one(GVI3?)

Debating what to do. Mine starts with R860...unlike the poster above whose watched survived.

Also FWIW my watch was built in September '22. There were discussions that those affected by GVI3 were built mid' 21

TIA

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Fit24

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Just downloaded and installed software update R860XXU1GVK4.

What's new
Find out what's included in this update.
• Improved system stability and reliability
A power operation-related stabilization code has been applied.

thecolonel62

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Just downloaded and installed software update R860XXU1GVK4.

What's new
Find out what's included in this update.
• Improved system stability and reliability
A power operation-related stabilization code has been applied.
And? Everything OK?

Maybe you should post an update in 3 days when you can verify everything is OK

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Welp, I've fixed my galaxy watch 4 problem by throwing it in a junk drawer and buying a garmin venu 2 plus on a black friday sale. **** Samsung. If they won't honor the warranty on my watch that was bricked by their own software and want to charge me to fix it, I'm done with them. Not even gonna deal with their runaround. I already took it to the repair shop their website suggested and they don't repair watches and said they would charge me anyway if they could. Second time samsung has screwed me over and 3rd samsung product I've had fail on me through no fault of my own. Now a proud owner of a pixel 7 pro,(half the price of the s22+ and I made money trading it in for the 7 pro) pictures are fantastic and put samsungs to shame, especially in moving shots. Garmin watch is far superior in every way. Constant monitoring of everything, sleep, real time updates for HR, awesome weight lifting detection etc. etc. and so far since I got it 3 days ago it's only down to 74% battery off the first charge. Thanks samsung for showing me how inferior your products are and once again how ****** your customer service is. Not even sure how it is legal to not honor the warranties in this situation.