Android 6.0 Marshmallow & Gear App/S2

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Got the OTA download for Marshmallow on my Nexus 5 yesterday, but haven't installed it cause Lollipop bricked my Nexus 7 last December. Wondering if anyone has installed Marshmallow, and does the Gear app still work, and how is your S2 behaving?

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Installed Marshmallow on my Nexus 5, and then yesterday's Marshmallow updates from Play Store for Gear app, Gear Plugin, and the Samsung Accessory Service (Gear app asks if you want both of those for improved functionality).

All was well until I rebooted my phone, and now I can't reconnect to the S2. Did do a hard reset of S2, and worked until S2 went out of range of phone. Then wouldn't reconnect. Kept saying invalid passkey, even though code on phone and S2 were the same.

I would either not update phone to Marshmallow, or not update Gear app, or both, cause I think you're gonna have the same problem.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
There's a new Gear Plugin app today (October 15th). I installed it, and S2 still does not reconnect after going out of range of phone on Marshmallow. Way to go, Samsung, not!

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Two weeks today that my S2 will not connect to my Nexus 5 on Marshmallow. This is really pathetic. Don't even know if Samsung is aware, and if they are, crazy that it takes two weeks to fix a Bluetooth issue.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Good to know. Not wearing my S2 today, for obvious reasons. I doubt it, but do you happen to see any Play Store updates to the Gear app since you now have new firmware? Thanks for the info!

dkaf187

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nexus 6 and the same issue since updating to Marshmallow, any time phone falls out of range, the bluetooth won't connect again. The fix for me is doing a light reset of the watch and then re-syncing through the Gear app. it sucks having to reset the watch that often, but most of settings are retained through the app, the only thing I've been losing is health data.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
dkaf187, do you happen to have your nexus 6 and S2 with you? If so, have you checked for a firmware update in the Gear app? I think it's an option under "About Gear ". I don't have my S2 with me, so I can't get into Gear app.

dkaf187

May 14, 2012
Visit site
That looks like it fixed it. I was able to update my S2 but that restarted the watch and I was unable to connect to the phone again. I performed a light reset again and got it connected. I then disabled bluetooth on the phone and re-enabled it and it connected again.

I never knew you needed to update the watch itself, I thought the update to the Gear app was all you needed for the Marshmallow fix. Thanks for the tip FitzAusTex

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
dkaf187, I'm not going the have access to my S2 today, so haven't been able to check for the firmware update. I last checked Sunday, so a new firmware update would only have been available since yesterday. If you wouldn't mind reporting back to this thread if you again become unable to stay connected without a reset, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for telling us of your findings!

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm that I have repeatedly been able reconnect my S2 to my Nexus 5 on Marshmallow after I installed the S2 firmware update that was available in the USA in the Gear app under the About Gear settings. I went from firmware version R720XXU2AOIL to R720XXU2AOJ3. I found that even after installing the firmware, I had to do one Light Reset on the S2 before the S2 would reconnect.

So far so good. Have intentionally gone out of range 6 times and reconnected all 6 times. Will report back if situation changes.

Brittani Anzovino

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I have the galaxy s6 with build 5.1.1 on verizon. I also have the gear s2 classic. I just received the update for marshmallow yesterday but haven't upgraded yet. Anyone know how the pairing will react? Anyone done this update with the same setup?

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I just got my free Gear S2 with the purchase of my new S7. The S7 has Marshmallow and I have no issues with the Gear app.

Posted via the Android Central App

BradH-ATX

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I just received my S2 as part of the S7 Edge promotion and am continually getting "Unfortunately Gear Plugin has Stopped". It then loses connection to the watch and this becomes an endless loop. The Samsung support person says the watch is defective, but only because they have no solution. Looks like a software driver issue to me. Anyone else have this problem?