VM's Intercept > Boost's BlackBerry Curve 8330 ?

Which one should I choose?

• Total voters

MrSlim71

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Right now I have the now-outdated BlackBerry Curve 8330 thru Boost Mobile, which has served it's purpose for the last 8 months or so, except for the lack of internal memory (only 32 mb). I've been thinking about making the switch to an Android phone, since Boost introduced the Motorola i1 to the market. I probably would've already picked this up, if it wasn't for the $400 price tag and the 1.6 software.

Anyway, over the past several months, I have been really intrigued by the Samsung Intercept for Virgin Mobile (who I have been with in the past), which is almost half the price of the Motorola i1 and has a more updated software (2.1, to be exact). But, various reviews that I have seen over that time has prevented me from making the purchase.

Read and write reviews for Samsung SPH-M910ZKASPR

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...218255995990%26skuId%3D1409226&token=meSjErl4

So, as a result of reading these, I am still thinking about it and waiting to see more feedback about the phone. Let it be known that I prefer to remain in a no-contract situation. Is it worth it to make the change?

Last edited:

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Stay away from the i1! The intercept is a solid little phone. As long as you never read reviews about any other phone you will never realize all of the things your phone won't do. But honestly I don't think you will find a better deal on a non subsidized smartphone. It has its limits, but what do you expect from a $150 phone.

Hero23

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I canceled my contract with Sprint to join up with VM and their great deal of a plan.

I had the htc Hero on Sprint and being a HUGE Android fan, I couldn't go without the OS. So, I bought the Intercept knowing that the specs were actually better than my current Hero.

Couldn't be happier. Love the pull out keyboard and the processor is so much better.

Angry Birds was unplayable on my Hero, however, it runs like it should on my Intercept.

I am hopeful, as the rumors suggest, that the VM Intercept also receives the 2.2 update, as apps to SD would be a GREAT addition.

As it is, I would LOVE to see VM get an even better selection of Android phone, but as is, the Intercept is a GREAT phone.

FWIW, I also once has the 8330 with Sprint, and while a solid phone, it caused plenty of frustration as well. The Intercept is MUCH better, as is Android over Blackberry.

MrSlim71

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I canceled my contract with Sprint to join up with VM and their great deal of a plan.

I had the htc Hero on Sprint and being a HUGE Android fan, I couldn't go without the OS. So, I bought the Intercept knowing that the specs were actually better than my current Hero.

Couldn't be happier. Love the pull out keyboard and the processor is so much better.

Angry Birds was unplayable on my Hero, however, it runs like it should on my Intercept.

I am hopeful, as the rumors suggest, that the VM Intercept also receives the 2.2 update, as apps to SD would be a GREAT addition.

As it is, I would LOVE to see VM get an even better selection of Android phone, but as is, the Intercept is a GREAT phone.

FWIW, I also once has the 8330 with Sprint, and while a solid phone, it caused plenty of frustration as well. The Intercept is MUCH better, as is Android over Blackberry.
So, just out of curiosity, how long have you had the Intercept and have you experienced any major problems with it?

Hero23

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I've had it since the beginning of December and have had 0 issues with it.

The only issues I have are typical Android issues, such as some apps force closing, etc...

MrSlim71

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I've had it since the beginning of December and have had 0 issues with it.

The only issues I have are typical Android issues, such as some apps force closing, etc...
Good to know. :) I am definitely leaning towards getting the phone, despite all the negative feedback. It seems like all the bad reviews about the phone end up really being just bad reviews about all Android phones in general, as far as freezing apps, short battery life (which can be said about all smartphones).

bencpht

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I just switched from boost 8530 to vm intercept. I'm never going back to blackberry. We dropped our total bill from $120/month down to $50/month for both phones (unlimited data & text + 300mins for $25/month with VM). We bought the BB's at best buy and bought service plans. Both of our BB's had problems so we jumped ship when we had the chance, and got the Samsung Intercepts instead. Those BB's seem like toys compared to the droid. The only thing I don't like is VM's service, but boost seems worse. You'll have to call boost to find out what your account number is if you want to port your number to the new phone. I was transferred to 4 different people because it seems that boost does not want to give you that information.