I can access root folders WITHOUT rooting

sethyboy

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
So the other day I was using RAR on my tablet to create a zip of some files. But then as I was fiddling around in the app, I found something that absolutely shocked me.

I was stunned when I found out that I was able to go up to the root folder, and then I could access system folders even though my tablet is NOT rooted.

Even more shocking was the fact that when I Googled this, nobody else had seemed to find out about this before me. I could see the data/, system/ folders, I could even go into my system/app folder and see ALL of the system apps there, including some bloatware. I even had the option to delete it, but this is where I stopped.

It was getting too risky at this point. It's a wonder that I was even able to access the root folders, but I'm unsure if attempting to delete bloatware without root can cause harm to the system, which is why I'd like to see if others can do this.

If you don't believe me, go and download RAR right now on a non-rooted device. You'll see that even if you're not rooted, you can still go up into the root directory, and you can access all the folders. I'd like to see someone attempt to try and delete bloatware on a non-rooted device using this tool. I get nervous about doing anything potentially risky to my electronics, so maybe someone with an old device they don't really care about can try to attempt this. I'm just amazed that I was seemingly the first one to discover this....

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you can do that with most any file explorer app.

What you can't do is edit, rename, or delete any of the folders or files you find there.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, what he said. The folder structure and file system isn't hidden, just not accessible to do anything with it without root.

sethyboy

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Oh, well okay, thanks for clearing that up. I had just never seen that before and thought that I had discovered something amazing. I guess I didn't then.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's still amazing, especially since those are 'hidden' from stock File Managers. I remember the first time I saw it, I thought the app had rooted my phone and I was losing my warranty haha.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
From post No. 3: The folder structure and file system isn't hidden, just not accessible to do anything with it without root. You can sideload an apk file and install it without SU access. Not sure what you're trying to do.

mel2000

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
From post No. 3: The folder structure and file system isn't hidden, just not accessible to do anything with it without root.
My unrooted Moto G4+ doesn't allow me to view anything in the root folder, even after choosing to show hidden files. I've tried several file managers and all gave the same result.

Abakinfo

Feb 20, 2018
Visit site
Asus File Manager now lets you access root files using these steps:
.Launch File Manager then tap the menu on the upper left corner.
.Select Internal Storage .
.Tap the menu on the upper right corner then uncheck the Hide system files .
.Tap root to access the root directory.

cloudleingod

Sep 12, 2018
Visit site
Asus File Manager now lets you access root files using these steps:
.Launch File Manager then tap the menu on the upper left corner.
.Select Internal Storage .
.Tap the menu on the upper right corner then uncheck the Hide system files .
.Tap root to access the root directory.

i can't view anything on /data/ folder its empty