GPS issue

reynoldsbs

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone had issues with this? SPH-D700 phone, just got gingerbread, the gps will work only intermitantly. Will work for a while after a reset then crap out. Is there a fix?

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, there's a fix. See GPS FIX for Gingerbread leak - xda-developers. But you'll have to get a custom recovery like ClockworkMod installed first in order to use it. Check out the rooting instructions here (http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep...95-rooting-ei22-gingerbread-instructions.html). The final part about flashing SU, which is what gives you root access on the phone, shouldn't be required to use the GPS fix, but you may want to do it anyway. Having root access opens up more options. I think some other threads around here talk about this GPS issue, so you can check them if you want more info. I hope this helps.

LMychajluk

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I'm seeing the problem (completely stock). I thought it may just be Google Maps / Nav, which would lose the GPS lock after 5 min or so. I was thinking other GPS apps were working, but I could've been wrong, and the new version of GoogleMaps didn't fix the problem.

Unfortunately, my PC is out of commission, so I can't d/l and install the XDA fix.:'(

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
yea it's pretty annoying, for me and my friends that have Epics. Hopefully a new official release comes out from Sprint soon. Looks like they're testing one now.

zak

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I'm seeing the problem (completely stock). I thought it may just be Google Maps / Nav, which would lose the GPS lock after 5 min or so. I was thinking other GPS apps were working, but I could've been wrong, and the new version of GoogleMaps didn't fix the problem.

Unfortunately, my PC is out of commission, so I can't d/l and install the XDA fix.:'(

I can tell you that the GPS tracking has failed all but two times I've attempted to use it since the upgrade. Both times it worked was with Enomondo, but it has also failed 10 times, five of which recorded 0 miles and 1 of those fails it worked for more than 10 minutes. Both times it succesfully worked the entire time was just after I had restarted the phone and GPS

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone tell me how to apply the GPS fix file from XDA?

You have to use Odin to flash a custom recovery like ACS or CWM and then root. Then flash the GPS_Fix.zip after doing that. You should follow the "how to root" section on this forum. After you have a custom recovery on your phone you can run the GPS fix file from there. Instructions already exist for this and won't be repeated here, but study the instructions and down load the Odin package, the custom recovery file (I prefer Clockwork Mod Purple or CWM), the Superuser zip, the clean kernel flash (fixes the keyboard and prevents CWM or ACS from being overwritten on the next reboot), and of course, the GPS_Fix zip. Dronak has already provided the links above. Use them.

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
You have to use Odin to flash a custom recovery like ACS or CWM and then root. Then flash the GPS_Fix.zip after doing that. You should follow the "how to root" section on this forum. After you have a custom recovery on your phone you can run the GPS fix file from there. Instructions already exist for this and won't be repeated here, but study the instructions and down load the Odin package, the custom recovery file (I prefer Clockwork Mod Purple or CWM), the Superuser zip, the clean kernel flash (fixes the keyboard and prevents CWM or ACS from being overwritten on the next reboot), and of course, the GPS_Fix zip. Dronak has already provided the links above. Use them.

I should have been more specific with regards to what I was asking. I didn't understand how to flash GPS_Fix.zip, but I assume it's going to be done in the same way that I have put Odin on the phone.

I started doing this and have encountered two issues. First, Odin doesn't even see the phone. Second, when the phone is in download mode and I connect the USB cable, Windows attempts to install drivers. The driver install fails with a message that 'gadget serial' can't be installed.

Edit: I got Odin to work with XP. The phone wasn't getting recoginized with Odin in Windows 7.

Last edited:

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I should have been more specific with regards to what I was asking. I didn't understand how to flash GPS_Fix.zip, but I assume it's going to be done in the same way that I have put Odin on the phone.

I started doing this and have encountered two issues. First, Odin doesn't even see the phone. Second, when the phone is in download mode and I connect the USB cable, Windows attempts to install drivers. The driver install fails with a message that 'gadget serial' can't be installed.

Edit: I got Odin to work with XP. The phone wasn't getting recoginized with Odin in Windows 7.

You must try a better usb cable than the one that came with the phone...go to Radio Shack. As for the GPS fix you hook up the phone to your PC and copy the GPS_fix.zip file to the root of the sd card (don't put it in a folder). Once you have CWM installed, boot into it and select the GPS file in CWM and choose install. It will install in about 2 seconds.

sunpod

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
You must try a better usb cable than the one that came with the phone...go to Radio Shack. As for the GPS fix you hook up the phone to your PC and copy the GPS_fix.zip file to the root of the sd card (don't put it in a folder). Once you have CWM installed, boot into it and select the GPS file in CWM and choose install. It will install in about 2 seconds.

I have the GPS fix zip file on my SD card, but when I go to select it - doesn't have an install option... What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance :)

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I have the GPS fix zip file on my SD card, but when I go to select it - doesn't have an install option... What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance :)

Your phone must be rooted and have a custom recovery installed on your phone. Please go to the Rooting, Roms and Hacks sub forum for instructions on how to do this. I would provide a link but i'm on Tapatalk right now.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
After applying the GPS fix, I'm not certain that I am seeing any improvement.

If I open the GPS Test application, satellites are detected and used more quickly.

Google Maps still seems to have difficulty finding my location. Sometimes it does this quickly and other times it takes a minute or two to get my location.

I recently tested the GPS out to go to work. Going to work, the GPS couldn't get a signal until I restarted the phone. When I left work, Google Maps reported the data connection was lost, but then the connection was re-established and navigation directions resumed.

Isn't the GPS fix supposed to fix these problems?

sunpod

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Your phone must be rooted and have a custom recovery installed on your phone. Please go to the Rooting, Roms and Hacks sub forum for instructions on how to do this. I would provide a link but i'm on Tapatalk right now.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Sorry ~ I should of said that I've done all the previous steps, except to actually root my phone. I wanted to just fix the GPS for now - I'm a little nervous to unroot as I am just a noobie trying to learn the lingo and what the cause/effect will be!

I followed these steps from a member in the Sprint Community - which I compared to a few other forums.. and they all pretty much said the same thing:

" follow the video...you don't have to root but, need to follow video for custom recovery...then install gps-fix.zip ...... How to Root and Clockworkmod the Samsung Epic 4G on EI22 Gingerbread - YouTube

Then follow the linked video from that one....."

I watched these videos (and then some), installed ODIN, applied kernel-GB-3a.tar.md5, installed ACSRecovery1.0.0.5.tar.md5, copied gps_fix.zip to sd card, boot into custom recovery and have tried to apply, but it just opens up another file then to another file, which all files end up showing that there is nothing to apply or install...

I've tried moving the whole zip file and the file *unzipped*, both at different times to the root directory, but neither worked..

What part of the gps fix file to you copy onto the SD card? I'm so close, but yet so far :/

Thank you so much for trying to help me... I really need to get my GB GPS fixed, as it is necessary to my traveling business.

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Just copy the entire zip file to the SD card. In my case, I went to the XDA website and found the forum for the GPS fix. There was a QR code to scan for the file, so I scanned that and the file ended up going into the downloads folder.

Using the ACS Recovery, I highlighted the option to install a file from the SD card. From there I navigated to the folder where GPS fix was located and applied it.

Reactions: sunpod

sunpod

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Just copy the entire zip file to the SD card. In my case, I went to the XDA website and found the forum for the GPS fix. There was a QR code to scan for the file, so I scanned that and the file ended up going into the downloads folder.

Using the ACS Recovery, I highlighted the option to install a file from the SD card. From there I navigated to the folder where GPS fix was located and applied it.

THANK YOU for the QR code tip! My phone finally found it and I have installed the fix! Fingers crossed GPS will work now!! Yay :D

cabezon2469

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site

Any way you could provide a link or the QR?

please and thanks

LMychajluk

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
My Epic is getting really bad. No GPS and battery life has been bad since the update and getting worse daily. Currently 3-4 hours to shutdown (@ 30-40%), runs warm, and takes forever to charge on the cradle. Since I got a new PC now, I'll be able to perform the XDA GPS fix, and I hear that Clockwork Recovery has a battery 'reset' function that I'm hoping may help w/ the battery issues. I was really hoping Sprint/Samsung would step up and get an OTA update out by now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez