How bad is the Epic's GPS?

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I see threads in lot of other places about how bad Samsung's GPS is (in fact the main site thread on the possible Samsung Galaxy S2 is filled with people complaining about Samsung and GPS).

I know there is a sticky above about a GPS Cache fix, but not much in there lately, haven't seen to many threads down here about it. Is everyone just accepting it doesn't work? Or have software updates resolved the issue on the Epic?

I really would like to get an Epic, but I also really need GPS.

boomerbubba

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I see threads in lot of other places about how bad Samsung's GPS is (in fact the main site thread on the possible Samsung Galaxy S2 is filled with people complaining about Samsung and GPS).

I know there is a sticky above about a GPS Cache fix, but not much in there lately, haven't seen to many threads down here about it. Is everyone just accepting it doesn't work? Or have software updates resolved the issue on the Epic?

I really would like to get an Epic, but I also really need GPS.

All Samsung Galaxy S models, including the Epic, have had bugs. But those bugs are not all the same. The Epic does not even use the same GPS chipset and controller software as its GSM-based cousins (the international I9000, the AT&T Captivate, and the T-Mobile Vibrant). Different hardware. Different software. Different bugs. Different bug symptoms.

I used to own Vibrants and switched to the Epic when it was introduced because of the GPS. After extensive testing and research on both platforms, I concluded that the Epic bugs were not nearly as bad. And for the worst of the bugs -- the failure to lock because the GPS cache data is mishandled -- there are workarounds. I recommend the Cold Start workaround documented as a sticky on this forum. Alternately, you can force a temporary lock by rebooting the phone.

Another bug specific to the Epic is that the internal estimate of accuracy is wrong. It always estimates its accuracy at 30.0 meters (98.4 feet), instead of calculating the estimate dynamically. This is mostly an annoyance. For example, in Google Maps or My Tracks that shows up as a bogus 30-meter circle of uncertainty around the map cursor. But the actual accuracy, tested empirically in the field, is on par with other smartphones.

These are bugs, and Samsung/Sprint need to fix them. (In fact, Sprint and Samsung have not even acknowledged publicly that the bugs exist, although we know off the record that Sprint has confirmed it.) But the Epic bugs are not as bad as the other GPS bugs that have afflicted some other Galaxy S cousins.

So if you demand a perfect GPS that "just works," the Epic is not there yet. Most competitors are. Personally, I chose to keep the Epic, warts and all, because of its other appealing features. Meanwhile, I and others press for a fix of the remaining GPS bugs. You might make a different choice, but at least your choice should be an informed one.

boomerbubba

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I have never used the gps on my epic. I have a garmon for gps.

If you don't care about the synergy of many GPS-enabled smartphone functions and apps, a standalone GPS might meet your needs. (I assume you are talking about vehicle navigation, which is just one of many possible GPS-enabled apps.)

Personally, I prefer the synergy of GPS on an Android platform. That's a major reason I choose the Android. The OP said GPS is important to him, so I assume he does too.

acegolfer

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I did the cold start trick from day one. I get lock within 10 seconds in florida and new york city.

But if I am inside a building, hard to get a lock. Gps is supposed to work in open field.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Do I have to redo the cold start trick every time I reboot my phone? Please let me know

And fyi the gps is fine. I have not had any problems although after doing the cold start trick it did lock on faster I think

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I think it, like many other issues, varies from device to device. Inside my house, my GPS can get my location within 60 meters. I haven't actually tried it outside yet, but will have to do that to see if the accuracy is greater.

potatoboy

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
After having a few GPS Smartphones, I have to say that I like the Epic the best. I'm getting quick locks and accurate navigation, even though the phone is still showing the 30m ring.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Mine works but I find the GPS my BB had worked better as it worked better whilst indoors as well as outdoors equally, when the Epic seems to have issues, but outdoors my Epic's more accurate...

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Mine works but I find the GPS my BB had worked better as it worked better whilst indoors as well as outdoors equally, when the Epic seems to have issues, but outdoors my Epic's more accurate...

Same here. My GPS is worthless inside, but is pretty good outdoors. Which is fine by me - I'm not rich enough to where I need directions from one part of my house to the other :p

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Same here. My GPS is worthless inside, but is pretty good outdoors. Which is fine by me - I'm not rich enough to where I need directions from one part of my house to the other :p

Ha... By inside I am referring to apps like foursquare etc... However, I can switch to 'network location' for 'stationary use' as well... So more of a minor annoyance than a loss...

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I think it, like many other issues, varies from device to device. Inside my house, my GPS can get my location within 60 meters. I haven't actually tried it outside yet, but will have to do that to see if the accuracy is greater.

Got around to checking mine outdoors. GPS was showing accurate within 30 meters. Based on what google maps was showing, it was closer even though it said within 30 meters.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
The only problem i have is with google maps. Sometimes I will have to turn off gps and turn it back on for it to fined my location.

No problems with sprint navigation unless I'm indoors.

frankos72

Jun 20, 2010
www.pigstands.com
I've found several caches using only my Epic. That was before I read this thread and then looked up the cold workaround. I did have a few issues and i think I had to reboot the phone once or twice to get it to lock, but as far as accuracy, it works. I can't wait to try some more now that I know I should get a good lock quick

Marshmallow713

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Mine has worked perfectly sense day one without any work-a-rounds. I've use google maps and turn by turn every couple days with no issues. Its a huge battery drain but I just leave GPS off unless I want to use it, and when I do use it, it finds me within a couple of seconds (outside of course) and I'm good to go.

Maybe I'll run into issues but I haven't yet! /knocks on wood

NSS

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Used it for the first time last Thursday and I got nervous because it took me on a strange route, but I made it home okay. It was very accurate as well, I used Maps btw.

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Used it for the first time last Thursday and I got nervous because it took me on a strange route, but I made it home okay. It was very accurate as well, I used Maps btw.

hahaha this one made me laugh.

were you just using it for fun? im gonna try that after school tonight haha
although itll probably take me on the same boring route i always take

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress