Is Sprint planning to come out with a 2.2 fix anytime soon?

hybrid85

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
My wife got the epic back when it came out and we loaded 2.2 on her phone when the official froyo update came out. Everything seems to be working ok on her phone so far. I'm finally up for my upgrade and was going to pick up an Epic also, yet I'm curious about the state of android 2.2 and any future updates?

Is Sprint still working to fix their official 2.2 update so that is bug free? I feel like if I get the phone I'm gonna be stuck on 2.1 indefinitely unless I decided to root. Also, do you guys think Sprint will support any future updates for the Epic like 2.3?

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Sprint supposedly is workin on a fix for the official froyo. U can still download the official froyo from the samsung website. An about 2.3, thats all about samsung. If they want to release it they will....but we all know samsungs track record wen it comes to supporting their own devices.....

hybrid85

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Ah ok, yeah we downloaded the update.zip file from samsung's website back on feb. 23rd. I still have the zip file so maybe I'll just use that to update my phone when I get it.

I'm not sure who is at fault for the lazy support the Epic has seen but I really wish it would get better soon. The phone is amazing, just needs the carrier and manufacture to support it....

hybrid85

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I just stopped by the Sprint Store in Overland Park and talked to one of the tech's about it. He said the delay with the update has been due to Samsung wanting more money for the update then any of the carriers wanted to pay, so it sounds like Samsung is gettin' a little greedy. He also said he thinks a 2.3 update will be released from Sprint for the epic before a 2.2 fix will be released. Now this isn't official, just thoughts from one of Sprint's techs.

I'll be sure to keep an eye on your thread.

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Ya Samsung makes good phones but lack on the software side a bit.

Paul has made one hell of a good fast clean simple rom Called Ace 1.7 it's great you may look in to that its not all that hard to put on. Took me all of about 10 min...

If you can follow simple instructions your good to go..

Royce

My wife got the epic back when it came out and we loaded 2.2 on her phone when the official froyo update came out. Everything seems to be working ok on her phone so far. I'm finally up for my upgrade and was going to pick up an Epic also, yet I'm curious about the state of android 2.2 and any future updates?

Is Sprint still working to fix their official 2.2 update so that is bug free? I feel like if I get the phone I'm gonna be stuck on 2.1 indefinitely unless I decided to root. Also, do you guys think Sprint will support any future updates for the Epic like 2.3?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I would take anything Sprint reps say with a grain of salt. I have two good examples why.

1) Back oh, 4 or 5 months ago a Sprint rep was at a special event class my wife attended at her college for Android phones and their usefullness in school. Anyways he said then "Honeycomb should be out on most devices by the first of 2011." I think we can see that was a line of bull. Honeycomb has been shown only on Tabs at this point. At that time too, Gingerbread was just beginning to be talked about and we only have the Nexus S with Gingerbread.

2.) A week ago I had my daughters Sprint phone repaired at a local Sprint store, the repair tech now these guys you would think would be on their game when it comes to latest information involving the devices they sell/support/repair says to me when asked how is official Froyo EB13 doing for the Epic 4g? He responded by saying "Oh I didn't even know they were releasing/released Froyo for the Epic, only the HTC EVO".

Kind of tells you something about the Sprint reps/techs/salespeople and how reliable their information is... :p That day I also saw first hand how Sprint deals with repairs... Fix everything with a factory wipe and fresh installation of the OS, doesn't matter what the problem is... I actually told a few people waiting in line how to "really" fix their phones problem right there in line before they got to even speak with the tech... LOL..

Reactions: simple503

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
@Paul627g .. Very true. When I had a problem with my first Epic everyone kept telling me to wipe over and over and at one point I refused to wipe for a 3rd time, knowing that will accomplish nothing the first two times and Sprint refused to help me until I wiped a 3rd time lol.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I am sorr to hear that. i know how frustrating this can be. Please remove your battery from the phone. let me know when you have done this. Ok thank you sir. Now please replace it. Right, yes, is it working now?

LASuxs

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah those morons have no idea what they're talking about. they were actually trying to convince me the moment didnt have an amoled screen and the intercept was an upgrade.

but this new update has crippled the epics ability to restore sms for me. when i do it with mybackup pro it never loads the sms and if i leave it too long on the sms app it'll freeze or reboot the phone. with sms backup+ it loads at first. but when rebooted is the same crap. now i got chose between my old settings where the task killers and manager dont work or give up on sms. btw i'm also not receiving sms cause of this error

EmersonHart13

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I fixed mine cant wait on Sprint forever. (EVO had 2.2 last August!) Thanks to this forum I rooted and installed ACE and my wife is once again happy. Did ***** to Sprint first about the bad 2.2 upgrade and got a 50 dollar service credit. Thanks Paul (from my wife)

Reactions: Paul627g

NickDG

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
What problems are you speaking of with the official release? I flashed the newest official ROM with Odin and it has been rock solid. I am excited I have my work exchange mail again, because I lost it when I went to the Truly Epic Rebirth ROM.

I'm not to thrilled with Touchwiz, so I will probably just install the Gingerbread launcher and call it a day.

ArcherBrianJames

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I hope so. And I hope they bring it out quick. My patience is waring thin. Very thin. Has anyone started a lawsuit against Samsung and Sprint? It seems like a win. Now only if I had the balls to do it.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site

There is no such thing as "bug-free" and a hard reset fixes 95% of the issues reported. I did a clean wipe before installing and I havent had a single issue. It runs better than previously and is much quicker.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
I would take anything Sprint reps say with a grain of salt. I have two good examples why.

1) Back oh, 4 or 5 months ago a Sprint rep was at a special event class my wife attended at her college for Android phones and their usefullness in school. Anyways he said then "Honeycomb should be out on most devices by the first of 2011." I think we can see that was a line of bull. Honeycomb has been shown only on Tabs at this point. At that time too, Gingerbread was just beginning to be talked about and we only have the Nexus S with Gingerbread.

2.) A week ago I had my daughters Sprint phone repaired at a local Sprint store, the repair tech now these guys you would think would be on their game when it comes to latest information involving the devices they sell/support/repair says to me when asked how is official Froyo EB13 doing for the Epic 4g? He responded by saying "Oh I didn't even know they were releasing/released Froyo for the Epic, only the HTC EVO".

Kind of tells you something about the Sprint reps/techs/salespeople and how reliable their information is... :p That day I also saw first hand how Sprint deals with repairs... Fix everything with a factory wipe and fresh installation of the OS, doesn't matter what the problem is... I actually told a few people waiting in line how to "really" fix their phones problem right there in line before they got to even speak with the tech... LOL..

Coming from a Sprint employee...

It all depends on who you speak with. I dont feed my customers bull...I let them know the truth and if I dont know or if something hasnt been OFFICIALLY put out there I let them know that as well. To be honest...reading various blogs and forums will inform our customers to a point beyond what Sprint does. I'm honestly not sure why people come to Sprint reps thinking we know ANYTHING more than has been said on the internet. Sprint is VERY hush-hush about their internal on-goings.

citiz

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Before I started adding custom roms, I went to a Sprint repair shop because of the Froyo bugs. He did a hard reset and handed me back my phone and said "The problems are gone". When I turned on the camera and went to "Sports Mode" it FC'd again. He told me he had to go on the Sprint Message Board to figure out the issue. He came back 5 minutes later and the phone wasn't fixed. He told me that Sprint sent a company wide email about the issue but he didn't know how to fix it. He then told me that they didn't know how to revert the phone back to stock. I told him thanks and became a member here.

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know of a backup solution that let's me keep my app data without root? I have MyBackup Pro but after exchanging my phone I restored from its backup and it didn't restore saved data from the apps (such as game saves and my timesheets from my time tracker).

I'm considering the ACE Rom but don't want to lose my data. That's the main reason I wanted the OTA update...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know of a backup solution that let's me keep my app data without root? I have MyBackup Pro but after exchanging my phone I restored from its backup and it didn't restore saved data from the apps (such as game saves and my timesheets from my time tracker).

I'm considering the ACE Rom but don't want to lose my data. That's the main reason I wanted the OTA update...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

MyBackup Pro does not need root, I sometimes do a data+app backup a separate data back up to be safer .. But.. If considering a rom, you will need root anyway. I am currently rooted, but running a stock (well almost stock).. Also, you can find the update zip that does not need root if you want the OTA update... It is still floating around...

Last edited: