data speeds on sprint galaxy nexus

irev210

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I go to Stockholm twice a year on average, the service is amazing. They actually have 20Mhz channels deployed and speeds are peaking at about 94mbps. It's funny how you pulled the article about Telia from two years ago when their network was only few months old, and most sites weren't even overlaid with LTE.
If you didn't catch, my point is that 2.6Ghz LTE network can be perfectly fine in the urban areas where the cell sites are more dense, eventhough 2.6Ghz isn't gonna propagate nearly as well as 700Mhz.

I pull up articles to support what I say - you just make stuff up :cool:

irev210

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I prefer to experience network performance first hand, rather than sit at home and quote what others think.

Right, from the "thousands" of mythical small cells that Verizon has, right? lol.

Instead of making stuff up, why not just share your actual user experience.

You have great Voice/3G Data/4G data in Manhattan. The fastest speeds you've seen on 4G LTE are over 70mbit. Average 4G Speed in Manhattan is in-line with Verizon's advertized speed. You get solid coverage everywhere you go, even when you are deep inside buildings.

I agree with you - I've used Verizon's 4G LTE service in Manhattan and had great coverage/speed/etc. I've agreed with you on your user experience part all along.

Why make up the rest? I don't get that part - that's the part I am taking issue with.

droidjoe26

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
totally agree there are people such as bedo that abuse the networks no wonder at&t and verizon like to trottle users like that 500mb in less then a hour that is crazy thats 12gigs a day.i try when i use my data to do it mostly on wifi though i watch lots of movies on netflix as i workout i only use like 2-3gigs a month though

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Right, from the "thousands" of mythical small cells that Verizon has, right? lol.

You have great Voice/3G Data/4G data in Manhattan. The fastest speeds you've seen on 4G LTE are over 70mbit. Average 4G Speed in Manhattan is in-line with Verizon's advertized speed. You get solid coverage everywhere you go, even when you are deep inside buildings.

I agree with you - I've used Verizon's 4G LTE service in Manhattan and had great coverage/speed/etc. I've agreed with you on your user experience part all along.

Why make up the rest? I don't get that part - that's the part I am taking issue with.

Did you ever think he might not be making it up and this whole discussion makes you look like a jerk?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

I'm just gonna rest my case, and once again invite you to New York City where things are "mythical".

irev210

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Did you ever think he might not be making it up and this whole discussion makes you look like a jerk?

Why do you assume that he is not making it up? Considering the Executive Director of Network Strategy from Verizon just said last month that Verizon has yet to deploy a single small cell... it sounds like he is just making it up.

If you want to believe him - go right ahead :eek:

From my previous post:
According to Verizon they have only started to talk about deploying small cells:
http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7021897886

Related story about it here:
http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...lls/2012-03-05

Last edited:

irev210

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm just gonna rest my case, and once again invite you to New York City where things are "mythical".

Translation: Oh no, I got caught making stuff up without a shred of evidence... I don't know what to do because the guy agrees with me that Verizon is awesome... but I can't substantiate my claims that Verizon has small cells everywhere!

lol. The jury finds you guilty of making stuff up. You are sentenced to silence.

In all seriousness - if you are going to make outlandish claims, it's best to say where you are getting this information from. Spreading misinformation (like claiming Verizon has small cells, which the executive director of network strategy CLEARLY said they don't) helps nobody.

Otherwise, let's both continue to enjoy our Verizon service (which, even without small cells, is awesome). No need to invite me - I've been to NYC many many times and like I stated before, enjoyed the Verizon LTE service while I was there.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Translation: Oh no, I got caught making stuff up without a shred of evidence... I don't know what to do because the guy agrees with me that Verizon is awesome... but I can't substantiate my claims that Verizon has small cells everywhere!

lol. The jury finds you guilty of making stuff up. You are sentenced to silence.

..cool story bro!

irev210

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
whats going on in this thread i thought it was about sprint data speeds somebody come moderate these guys out of here let them pm eachother if they wanna argue about verzion 4g cell tower spectrum density bs get that crap outta here

Sorry about that! It started off that way - people were comparing Sprint data speeds to Verizon and we had a troll come in and start to make stuff up about Verizon. I just was trying to make sure people knew he was just making stuff up and to not use what he was saying to compare Sprint to Verizon.

Apologies for the long off-topic discussion. Hopefully the mods can clean it up.

Long of the short of it - when Sprint's LTE network goes live it won't have the same peak speeds as Verizon (which can hit over 70mbit) but overall average speeds should be about the same (average speeds between 6-8mbit with top speeds around 25mbit, according to sprint).

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Sorry about that! It started off that way - people were comparing Sprint data speeds to Verizon and we had a troll come in and start to make stuff up about Verizon. I just was trying to make sure people knew he was just making stuff up and to not use what he was saying to compare Sprint to Verizon.

Apologies for the long off-topic discussion. Hopefully the mods can clean it up.

Long of the short of it - when Sprint's LTE network goes live it won't have the same peak speeds as Verizon (which can hit over 70mbit) but overall average speeds should be about the same (average speeds between 6-8mbit with top speeds around 25mbit, according to sprint).

Let's please stop naming people trolls, especially the ones that actually share some insight first hand to this forum. I'd call trolls the ones that copy paste two year old articles as "facts", but actually have absolutely no insight on the day-to-day network performance in question.

jdubbletrouble

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Let's please stop naming people trolls, especially the ones that actually share some insight first hand to this forum. I'd call trolls the ones that copy paste two year old articles as "facts", but actually have absolutely no insight on the day-to-day network performance in question.

alright guys kiss and make up its just a forum not a life changing subject. we all know that everybody on these things wants to be right. but seriously do either of you have the sprint version of the GNex my 3g speeds are about what i expect not terrible for where i am (Charleston WV) which isnt even one of the areas that sprint considers light green and not dark green on their coverage map. See i like basic explanations not mb's and mhz's though i understand all that its very boring to talk about.

rwong48

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Getting about 100/500 kbps in downtown LA.. obviously 3G and not 4G LTE. Slow as hell!
Tested outside of the Sprint store a few blocks over and it was about 1000/800.

Anyone know how to flash the PRL on this thing? I want to roam on Verizon's 3G so I can actually use my phone.

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site

Is Verizon a 2x2 MIMO deployment? My memory is about 2 years old on this but I remember Verizon being SISO. On SISO it should be 50.4 mbps theoretical max and on 2x2 MIMO 100.8 mbps.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Is Verizon a 2x2 MIMO deployment? My memory is about 2 years old on this but I remember Verizon being SISO. On SISO it should be 50.4 mbps theoretical max and on 2x2 MIMO 100.8 mbps.

Considering users here have seen upwards of 70 Mbps, it would have to be MIMO. (though this could vary by market, couldn't it?)

irev210

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

You might be thinking of UE Categories.

Verizon has a bunch of Motorola devices that use the Moto Wrigley LTE chip which is a UE Catagory 2 chip. Speeds are limited to 50mbit down/25mbit up. UE Catagory 3 devices (like the galaxy nexus), the chip tops out at 100mbit down/50mbit up.

That's just on the phone side of things.

All UE 2 through UE 4 2x2 MIMO is mandatory. On UE 5, 4x4 MIMO is mandatory.

Verizon's LTE deployment definitely supports MIMO. The ~73mbit or so is just a limit of the spectrum, not the chip.

irev210

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

Cool story Bro!

I don't mind your insight (your experience using Verizon in Manhattan) - I agreed with the results you saw. Verizon is FAST.

However, you do not have any insight on how Verizon deploys their network. You made up facts about how many cell locations Verizon had. I used a one month old FCC filing and a supporting news article which quotes an executive stating the exact opposite of what you said. Yet, you are still bickering over this.

Didn't you rest your case? Weren't you sentenced to silence? Or are you going to keep making stuff up? How many small cells did Verizon have in Manhattan? Is it 500, 1,000, 5,000?

There is nothing wrong it sharing your experience with your current carrier - but don't mislead people and get all offended when someone calls you out on your BS. :-$

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa